Why Hasn’t Trump Tweeted About Waffle House Hero

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
last week an unarmed man pulled a gun away from a shooter who had opened fire in a Waffle House. I believe the death total was four people but obviously would have been worse if he wasn’t unarmed by this hero. Isn’t this something that the President should be calling attention to? Mr I would have run in without a weapon to save school
Kids can’t even give some praise to someone who pretty much did just that.

Reactions: ronntaylor

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I linked to this in another thread, when someone wondered why more black people weren't republican.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/glanton/ct-met-trump-nashville-shooting-dahleen-glanton-20180425-story.html

There's a bit to unpack there, but in the many opinion pieces written about 45's deafening silence, it mainly revolves around there being too many factors he just isn't interested in.

There are, however, two undeniable reasons Trump has refused to say anything about the shooting: He doesn’t want to. And he doesn’t have to.

Trump established where he stands with people of color long before that half-naked gunman walked into a Nashville Waffle House and started firing at patrons with a semi-automatic weapon he never should have had.

A social work student who was set to graduate from college in two weeks, a Waffle House worker, a budding musician and videographer and an appliance store employee died — all of them in their 20s. Trump has yet to even speak their names.

Trump seems to think that most people of color are a nuisance to America. They are not worthy of condolences from the president.

Whether those who support Trump agree with his decision to remain silent, they are not demanding that he speak up. Even his enablers within the walls of Congress have not questioned the president’s silence.

But Trump hastily reached out to the people of Canada in their time of grief.

I can think of no other reason that Trump would go to such lengths to let Canadians know that America stands with them in the aftermath of the deadly van attack in Toronto that left at least 10 people dead, while saying nothing to console the families of the young adults killed last weekend on American soil.
On top of that, James Shaw is helping pay for the funerals ( with a successful Gofundme ) of those killed.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
last week an unarmed man pulled a gun away from a shooter who had opened fire in a Waffle House. I believe the death total was four people but obviously would have been worse if he wasn’t unarmed by this hero. Isn’t this something that the President should be calling attention to? Mr I would have run in without a weapon to save school
Kids can’t even give some praise to someone who pretty much did just that.
Maybe he's not done with his short stack with berries and whipped cream yet... sheesh... give the guy time to finish his breakfast :p

OK... on the more serious side... Not everything needs a tweet. Yes, the guy did something good. All people should step up when help is needed. The problem with tweeting for things, is that somebody always feels like you're ignoring them if you miss a tweet for them. Better to just not tweet.

It's like the teacher that gives out a gold star to the child who behaved today. What about the next day when all the children behave, and now they feel left out because they weren't recognized like the other boy.

What it comes down to, is that everyone should step up every time it is called for. I have, and so have others I know. We never expected recognition. It's called being human. You do what is needed when it is needed. Recognizing one, and not the other, only serves to make those who do things for recognition feel like they were less significant.

My bet, is that the guy who stepped in and disarmed the other person really doesn't care whether the president sends a tweet. He did what his humanity called upon him. Yes, it was good. Good people do good things every day around the world. It's a different sort that expect someone to recognize them. If done out of humanity and instinct, he has already received all the recognition he needed, even if there had never been a news story to begin with. I'm sure he felt sufficiently appreciated before the news crew arrived.

Remember that a lot happens in this world that never gets a headline. People end up in horrific situations all the time. Often a neighbor. And, the only ones who know, are the ones who are involved. And, to those who helped, they are appreciated, and usually ask nothing in return. They don't want or expect recognition. They are just happy to have helped and improved the situation.

Tweet or don't tweet. Preferably don't. And, I say that to everyone, not just the president. But, failure to acknowledge one, doesn't mean it is less appreciated. But, simply put... if we acknowledged every single thing that happened in this world, we would be unable to do anything else. You can't possibly tweet or comment on everything that happens. But, sometimes you get a moment to address something.

Reactions: deuce1794

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Maybe he's not done with his short stack with berries and whipped cream yet... sheesh... give the guy time to finish his breakfast :p

OK... on the more serious side... Not everything needs a tweet. Yes, the guy did something good. All people should step up when help is needed. The problem with tweeting for things, is that somebody always feels like you're ignoring them if you miss a tweet for them. Better to just not tweet.

It's like the teacher that gives out a gold star to the child who behaved today. What about the next day when all the children behave, and now they feel left out because they weren't recognized like the other boy.

What it comes down to, is that everyone should step up every time it is called for. I have, and so have others I know. We never expected recognition. It's called being human. You do what is needed when it is needed. Recognizing one, and not the other, only serves to make those who do things for recognition feel like they were less significant.

My bet, is that the guy who stepped in and disarmed the other person really doesn't care whether the president sends a tweet. He did what his humanity called upon him. Yes, it was good. Good people do good things every day around the world. It's a different sort that expect someone to recognize them. If done out of humanity and instinct, he has already received all the recognition he needed, even if there had never been a news story to begin with. I'm sure he felt sufficiently appreciated before the news crew arrived.

Remember that a lot happens in this world that never gets a headline. People end up in horrific situations all the time. Often a neighbor. And, the only ones who know, are the ones who are involved. And, to those who helped, they are appreciated, and usually ask nothing in return. They don't want or expect recognition. They are just happy to have helped and improved the situation.

Tweet or don't tweet. Preferably don't. And, I say that to everyone, not just the president. But, failure to acknowledge one, doesn't mean it is less appreciated. But, simply put... if we acknowledged every single thing that happened in this world, we would be unable to do anything else. You can't possibly tweet or comment on everything that happens. But, sometimes you get a moment to address something.
I understand what you are saying about most people but this is the president of the United States who tweets about everything. We had another mass shooting, this time actually stopped mid-shooting by a civilian, I think That this should make his list.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California

Going with your logic, which mass shootings do you guess the president passed on tweeting about?

Or skipping that, just think of the optics involved. Do you think if a naked black man walked into a Waffle House with an AR-15 and killed three white people on the spot, the president would NOT tweet about it? Hmmmmm... Really?

My bet, within the hour there would have been calls to check for possible terrorist ties. At least to Antifa or BLM.

But, then again maybe you're right. Perhaps mass shootings have just become the norm in the United States, that the president of the United States can't possibly be expected to comment on every one of them.

o_O

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

This argument would be better if he wasn't tweeting about irrelevant stuff constantly. Missed opportunity, this guy should have been invited to the White House for a beer.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I understand what you are saying about most people but this is the president of the United States who tweets about everything. We had another mass shooting, this time actually stopped mid-shooting by a civilian, I think That this should make his list.
I agree with your point. In comparison to other tweets, yes, a person may say this one should be more important than some of his other ones.

Ideally, he would just get off twitter.

Obama decided that he was going to be the most public president in history. He announced that he was going to be on television, and making public addresses frequently. And, he did. He was on television so much that it became annoying.

In a way, Trump is following that example, but up to a different level and in a different way. From a perspective, he's giving people more access to his thought process than any other president. From a human perspective, perhaps that's an admirable quality. From a perception perspective, it's not really working out quite well. Impulse statements are never as refined as those that come after sitting down, thinking, writing drafts, passing drafts through peers to review and revise to assure that it can only be interpreted positively.

Every president before him has done it the slow way. Pass everything through all the channels to be dissected and revised to (ideally) perfection before any of the speech or statement got released to the public or the press. That method gives refinement, and controls the impression / image of the president.

Trump is skipping all of that, and just going off the top of his head. And, you know, a lot of us say stupid things off the top of our head at times. We just have the benefit that it's not being dissected and interpreted and spun by the media. We also have the benefit of a limited audience when we say something that in retrospect we probably shouldn't have said.

So, in a way, he's exposing us to his humanity. But, also at the expense of refinement and image.

If it was up to me, I'd probably suggest he get off twitter all together. Personally, I don't use twitter either. I don't care to throw my every thought out there. And seriously, nobody cares (or nobody should care) what I had for breakfast, who I talked to, or probably even anything I did today.

But, in a highly public position, everybody could benefit from a more refined, slower method of disseminating information to the public. And, him, probably more so. On the other side, if we only got officially released statements that were filtered through the channels, we'd probably have a lot more conspiracy theorists going crazy with stories of how we're only getting what the government wants us to know... etc...

Going with your logic, which mass shootings do you guess the president passed on tweeting about?

Or skipping that, just think of the optics involved. Do you think if a naked black man walked into a Waffle House with an AR-15 and killed three white people on the spot, the president would NOT tweet about it? Hmmmmm... Really?

My bet, within the hour there would have been calls to check for possible terrorist ties. At least to Antifa or BLM.

But, then again maybe you're right. Perhaps mass shootings have just become the norm in the United States, that the president of the United States can't possibly be expected to comment on every one of them.

o_O
There's shootings every day that don't make the news. Even in my small town there's been kids who went to school with a gun, started shooting, and everybody evacuated the building, police showed up... and guess what... it didn't even make the local news or even the local paper. The only people that know about it are the kids that went there, the parents of those kids, and anybody who saw it, and anybody that was told by someone who knew. How do I know??? Because my kids were there.

And, nobody went crazy complaining that it didn't make the news. And, nobody expects the president to be involved directly. The president should be working in general to affect the entire country and improve services and prevention nationwide. I don't think the president should be involved in every single incident directly. I think he should be addressing the national problem entirely, and in effect improving everything as it filters down into the local communities.

A speech about a particular incident does nothing to fix it. It's a speech, and a publicity show. Nothing more.

This argument would be better if he wasn't tweeting about irrelevant stuff constantly. Missed opportunity, this guy should have been invited to the White House for a beer.
I would agree with your point. It's perspective and impression. Ideally, Trump would just get off twitter. But, from another perspective, I'd rather have him on twitter where I don't spend any time, than have him constantly interrupting my evening relaxation time with a movie on television like Obama did. At least I can ignore Trump. Obama took over every channel on television.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Perhaps mass shootings have just become the norm in the United States, that the president of the United States can't possibly be expected to comment on every one of them.
o_O
Also don't forget that Trump is a very busy man, what with watching cable news, golfing, leading rallies, engaging in 35 minute unhinged phone calls to Fox and Friends and constantly tweeting No Collusion.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I agree with your point. In comparison to other tweets, yes, a person may say this one should be more important than some of his other ones.

Ideally, he would just get off twitter.

Obama decided that he was going to be the most public president in history. He announced that he was going to be on television, and making public addresses frequently. And, he did. He was on television so much that it became annoying.

In a way, Trump is following that example, but up to a different level and in a different way. From a perspective, he's giving people more access to his thought process than any other president. From a human perspective, perhaps that's an admirable quality. From a perception perspective, it's not really working out quite well. Impulse statements are never as refined as those that come after sitting down, thinking, writing drafts, passing drafts through peers to review and revise to assure that it can only be interpreted positively.

Every president before him has done it the slow way. Pass everything through all the channels to be dissected and revised to (ideally) perfection before any of the speech or statement got released to the public or the press. That method gives refinement, and controls the impression / image of the president.

Trump is skipping all of that, and just going off the top of his head. And, you know, a lot of us say stupid things off the top of our head at times. We just have the benefit that it's not being dissected and interpreted and spun by the media. We also have the benefit of a limited audience when we say something that in retrospect we probably shouldn't have said.

So, in a way, he's exposing us to his humanity. But, also at the expense of refinement and image.

If it was up to me, I'd probably suggest he get off twitter all together. Personally, I don't use twitter either. I don't care to throw my every thought out there. And seriously, nobody cares (or nobody should care) what I had for breakfast, who I talked to, or probably even anything I did today.

But, in a highly public position, everybody could benefit from a more refined, slower method of disseminating information to the public. And, him, probably more so. On the other side, if we only got officially released statements that were filtered through the channels, we'd probably have a lot more conspiracy theorists going crazy with stories of how we're only getting what the government wants us to know... etc...

There's shootings every day that don't make the news. Even in my small town there's been kids who went to school with a gun, started shooting, and everybody evacuated the building, police showed up... and guess what... it didn't even make the local news or even the local paper. The only people that know about it are the kids that went there, the parents of those kids, and anybody who saw it, and anybody that was told by someone who knew. How do I know??? Because my kids were there.

And, nobody went crazy complaining that it didn't make the news. And, nobody expects the president to be involved directly. The president should be working in general to affect the entire country and improve services and prevention nationwide. I don't think the president should be involved in every single incident directly. I think he should be addressing the national problem entirely, and in effect improving everything as it filters down into the local communities.

A speech about a particular incident does nothing to fix it. It's a speech, and a publicity show. Nothing more.

I would agree with your point. It's perspective and impression. Ideally, Trump would just get off twitter. But, from another perspective, I'd rather have him on twitter where I don't spend any time, than have him constantly interrupting my evening relaxation time with a movie on television like Obama did. At least I can ignore Trump. Obama took over every channel on television.
Just so I am clear, the shooting at your school was similar to the one @ the Waffle House? Because like you said there are several shootings all the time now o_O, which as I was pointing is seriously messed up. But there are those extreme cases, like a naked guy who claims Taylor Swift is stalking him & was stopped by Secret Service for trying to get into the White House. Those incidents do make the news. An incident where a white guy had a demonstrated history of mental illness could get away with things that no PoC would even dream of in the highest fit of dementia and not think they'd be killed instantly. The guy just got his weapons taken away and given to his father after threatening someone with an AR-15. Let a PoC try that! Then to go actually kill 4 people and be stopped by a PoC?! That's kind of why THIS incident made the news, and unfortunately your school's didn't. To unpack all the craziness in this incident, black good guy WITHOUT a gun, stops a mentally ill white guy ( who isn't a bad guy, just a mentally ill irresponsible gun owner. flip the positions of the two guys and see how the descriptions would change. and you bet we'd hear plenty from the NRA and 45. ), and the white guy is still taken in alive.

Dude was arrested by the Secret Service previously, and got community service.

In July 2017, Travis Reinking told a uniform Secret Service officer that he must get into the White House to speak with the President, according to an arrest report. The officer explained that he must get a tour to do that and told Reinking to move away from the pedestrian entrance, but the report states Reinking told the officer again that he had to speak with the President and that he was a "sovereign citizen" who had a right to inspect the grounds. After telling Reinking to move again, the report states that Reinking took his tie off, balled it into his fist, began approaching the officer and walked past the security barriers.

"Do what you need to do. Arrest me if you have to," Reinking said, according to the report.
Reinking was detained but refused to leave the secured area, so he was arrested and charged with unlawful entry, the report states.

According to court records, Reinking entered into a deferred prosecution agreement with community service on July 26, 2017. On November 17, 2017, the court determined Reinking had successfully completed the program and the case was dismissed.

Shortly after his release, Reinking was interviewed by the FBI in Illinois, where he lived at the time.
Let's say someone like Jeff Shaw did that. Chances are pretty good, he wasn't going to see the light of day anytime soon or even jail. He might have gotten on the ground too aggressively or didn't respond to multiple orders fast enough, or maybe had a phone. There is just so much bizarre & wrong about this, and it's the friggin' norm now it seems. So, hey, you're right, why would the president of the United States bother with something like this?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/28/us/waffle-house-victim-gospel-songs-trnd/index.html

A young woman killed in the attack at a Tennessee Waffle House died singing gospel songs, the restaurant chain's CEO said Saturday.

Speaking at the funeral for 21-year-old DeEbony Groves, Walt Ehmer recounted what a survivor told him happened before the attack early in the morning of April 22. Groves and her friend were singing gospel songs, the survivor told Ehmer.

"We went and visited with the survivors, and they talked about the people who were in that restaurant before what happened happened, and specifically remembered your daughter," Ehmer told mourners.
"And (they) spoke of your daughter and her friend, and said they were singing gospel songs. And everybody was singing and enjoying each other and she said, 'The last thing I remember her saying was, singing Jesus Loves Me.'"
Seriously, that is some truly messed up crap, that encompasses some of the mind blowing chaos in our country now. That's why this made the news, and that's why it's something 45 should have at least pretended to give a crap about. Because once again, whether he intended it or not, it looks like if PoC are involved. "Oh well." Wait my bad, if it had been a black shooter, shooting PoC, maybe then he might have mentioned after Hannity did a piece on more black on black crime the night before.

Huckabee Sanders even when out on the podium knowing she had to make some kind of noise about all this, managed to squeak out a few words. Our president couldn't be bothered to tweet, his favorite form of expression, can't be bothered to acknowledge what happened. Pence even finally got around to making a comment.

No. No the president can't be too busy for this. No.

Let something like that happen, that caught the country's attention, and the previous guy in charge didn't mention anything... Hoo Boy!

o_O

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I’m with you. If the hero would have been a white guy with a gun, Trump would be tweeting his praises. The Waffle House story, as it is, does not fit Trump’s narrative about heroes vs villains.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Yes, he should have.
Maybe because he is not the same color as #45?

Well, then everybody would be excluded for not being the same color as #45. Guess not that...

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
I linked to this in another thread, when someone wondered why more black people weren't republican
Bring race into this? Doesn't matter if the man was Black or White. Heros go unnamed all the time. The media hasn't really picked it up either. The shooter gets more fame than the Hero in the media nowadays, it needs to be fixed.

o_O
More likely than not, the latter of the two.
Just so I am clear, the shooting at your school was similar to the one @ the Waffle House? Because like you said there are several shootings all the time now o_O, which as I was pointing is seriously messed up. But there are those extreme cases, like a naked guy who claims Taylor Swift is stalking him & was stopped by Secret Service for trying to get into the White House. Those incidents do make the news. An incident where a white guy had a demonstrated history of mental illness could get away with things that no PoC would even dream of in the highest fit of dementia and not think they'd be killed instantly. The guy just got his weapons taken away and given to his father after threatening someone with an AR-15. Let a PoC try that! Then to go actually kill 4 people and be stopped by a PoC?! That's kind of why THIS incident made the news, and unfortunately your school's didn't. To unpack all the craziness in this incident, black good guy WITHOUT a gun, stops a mentally ill white guy ( who isn't a bad guy, just a mentally ill irresponsible gun owner. flip the positions of the two guys and see how the descriptions would change. and you bet we'd hear plenty from the NRA and 45. ), and the white guy is still taken in alive.

Dude was arrested by the Secret Service previously, and got community service.

Let's say someone like Jeff Shaw did that. Chances are pretty good, he wasn't going to see the light of day anytime soon or even jail. He might have gotten on the ground too aggressively or didn't respond to multiple orders fast enough, or maybe had a phone. There is just so much bizarre & wrong about this, and it's the friggin' norm now it seems. So, hey, you're right, why would the president of the United States bother with something like this?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/28/us/waffle-house-victim-gospel-songs-trnd/index.html

Seriously, that is some truly messed up crap, that encompasses some of the mind blowing chaos in our country now. That's why this made the news, and that's why it's something 45 should have at least pretended to give a crap about. Because once again, whether he intended it or not, it looks like if PoC are involved. "Oh well." Wait my bad, if it had been a black shooter, shooting PoC, maybe then he might have mentioned after Hannity did a piece on more black on black crime the night before.

Huckabee Sanders even when out on the podium knowing she had to make some kind of noise about all this, managed to squeak out a few words. Our president couldn't be bothered to tweet, his favorite form of expression, can't be bothered to acknowledge what happened. Pence even finally got around to making a comment.

No. No the president can't be too busy for this. No.

Let something like that happen, that caught the country's attention, and the previous guy in charge didn't mention anything... Hoo Boy!

o_O
Wowzers... Why bring race into everything? Is that all you people see? All I saw was a Hero stop a mentally deranged man from slaughtering more civilians.
You sir are both biased and prejudiced.

Reactions: deuce1794

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Bring race into this? Doesn't matter if the man was Black or White. Heros go unnamed all the time. The media hasn't really picked it up either. The shooter gets more fame than the Hero in the media nowadays, it needs to be fixed.

More likely than not, the latter of the two.

Wowzers... Why bring race into everything? Is that all you people see? All I saw was a Hero stop a mentally deranged man from slaughtering more civilians.
You sir are both biased and prejudiced.
Jinkies...
Is that all you people see?
:rolleyes:
If that is all you see, I imagine you would think I am biased & prejudiced.

Reactions: millerj123

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Trying to say you're not human. Humans are called People, or Peoples. Not sure why I need to explain this to you, JayMysterio.
Well... that made even less sense. Which is probably why you need to explain it.

You're trying to say I am not human? o_O

Or you meant in your original post?
Is that all you people humans see?
Because that makes even less sense.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
I would have had the guy at the WH already giving him a medal of some sort, at the very least a hug.

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
I read this topic but skipped it because I had no idea who this Waffle House dude was. Just saw the story pop up.... or a follow up at least.... on the Apple News app. It seems weird for DJT to not talk about this modern day hero. Why not? He spoke about TV actor Roseanne on her new show..... this is quite unusual.