Why hasn't anybody thought of doing an audio refeed from the Keynote?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Sep 11, 2012.

?

Should a Keynote attendee record audio from the Keynote and broadcast for us?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

There so many reasons why this is a good idea:

1. You won't get caught by Apple's security if you just turn a microphone on
    2. A video feed is likely to fail on you anyway, while an audio feed is less problematic.
    3. Most people won't be able to see video because they're working or whatnot, so this will give them the chance to slip in an earphone at work and listen along like an oldtime radio broadcast.
    4. Less bandwidth costs involved. People would crash your feed within minutes. Would also help people get info over 3G whereas video would be tough.
    5. There's more options for audio broadcasting solutions than there are video.
    6. It's better than nothing if you can't sit and watch the liveblogs.

If one of you keynote attendees are reading this or know somebody that is attending the keynote, do the audio feed, seriously. Video is always a fail, but this will work.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm guessing because they want to be allowed back to these events. Don't you think that once an audio feed was discovered, Apple would have no trouble tracking down the source?

3. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I just wait 2-3 hours and watch the video keynote at home. Been waiting a year, what's a few more hours?

4. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

There's lots of ways to conceal the source of an audio stream, and it would be easier to conceal because its just audio.

Imagine a nice low-bandwidth, high quality AAC stream fed to your iPhone. Wouldn't that be great? You could listen for yourself while the liveblog pics pop up.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm sure people have thought of it, and then ruled it out for a reason you didn't think of, like not being able to adequately pick up the sound with a microphone that no one is supposed to be using.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

this is what I would be worried about. Plus, you are next to people on their laptops so would hear click click click

7. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Come on. If a person can hear it fine, so can a decent microphone. Besides, a professional or semi-professional at the keynote would use more than just any mic, and it would be very well hidden.

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

A live video feed would be good – anything less is no better than reading a liveblog.

9. Radio macrumors 68000

They haven't been very good since Steve passed :(

10. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Yes, but some people won't be sitting at a computer for 90 mins starting at text and pictures being piped into their browser. An audio feed would be great for those that would benefit from sticking an earphone and going about their business.

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You've obviously never recorded things. Depending on the microphone, it picks up different sounds. If it's a small mic, the voices will be tinny and people will mainly hear you breathing and keyboards. Bigger mics do better, but they're also harder to conceal.
    Besides, why do you care? You own an android phone and don't seem to like the iphone much, if your posts are any indication.

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

That's a good point - hadn't thought of that.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The type of mic you would need would not be easily concealed and if it was wouldn't work very well.

14. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

I'm pretty sure a Macbook Pro's microphone would be enough, but there are certainly many external microphones that can be hooked up to a laptop and run from a wire to a person's clothes, since their laptop will be on their lap.

Honestly, this is pretty easy to do. All it would take after that is sending the feed from your LTE card to a website like Justin.tv where a static image would be displayed but the audio would come in nice and clear.

----------

What do you mean? A lavaliere mic would work. It's not going to be perfect, but you'd be able to hear it just fine.

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Someone could risk an audio feed... or they could simply continue to snap as many pictures as possible, type like mad keeping their live blog updated, get ad revenue from page hits, and not risk a lifetime ban from such events.

Hmmm... decisions.

Money > no money
    zero risk > plenty of risk
    no ban > lifetime ban

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

17. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

There were numerous video feeds of the WWDC keynote on uStream. I'm sure the same will be true of this product launch.

18. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Obviously if somebody did this, it would be out of the kindness of their own heart, not for profit. After all, its not like this is real work. I'd do it myself if I were there, just for this forum.

----------

What's even more surprising is the number of people who truly HATE choice and would say no to the option of there being an audio feed, effectively ruining what fun somebody could have if they needed such a feed.

The people who hate choice know who they are. I've butted heads with them here before. It's the Apple way or no way to them.

19. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...which is probably why you didn't get an invite and the vast majority of those who did get one are there for profit.

----------

It has nothing to do with choice. You asked why hasn't anyone thought of doing an audio feed from the keynote and there are plenty of responses saying why... the most important being it's not allowed and the penalties are high.

20. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

That's not the question. The question is: "Do you want somebody else to provide you with a live audio feed from the keynote?"

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Oh, I'm sorry... I guess I'm reading the title of the thread incorrectly.

Not that that should matter as I'd rather someone not risk getting a lifetime ban because people can't read or wait a few hours for the official video.

22. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Yes and that's still not the question I'm asking people in the poll...

23. M87 macrumors 65816

If nothing else twit.tv will have live coverage of the event that you can listen to. They monitor all the live blogs and give commentary, many times they'll rebroadcast pirated audio or video streams if they can find them.

24. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Not a chance. Firstly, there are people around you talking, then there are people typing loudly, people coughing, etc. Even with a good mic (far, far above the quality of the one on the MBP) that can be enough to mess everything up. Then you you have the problem of needing a small, undetectable mic, that has the performance of a large, professional one. That doesn't exist. Thirdly, on the likely chance you are eventually found out, you'll never be allowed back to Apple events.

So pretty much, it isn't realistically possible, and even if it was, it's not worth the risk.