Why have private prisons?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TechGod, Mar 30, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

This honestly does not make sense to me, why is something so critical like public health and safety treated like a business?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

3. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Some states utilize private prisons as a way to reduce costs. State employees, especially in heavily unionized states, are very expensive.

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...million-more-per-year-than-state-run-prisons/

Not always. They are being debated in many states.

Also

http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterp...ets-life-sentence-for-prison-kickback-scheme/

Yeah, that kind of stuff tends to happen.

Owners of Private prisons and the companies who build them also lobby for laws that put minor drug offenders in prison for years, to keep the customers coming in.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yet private prisons cost more than state run prisons.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...million-more-per-year-than-state-run-prisons/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/us/19prisons.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-pr...es-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ap-private-prisons-profit-from-illegal-immigrants/

Think about it. A private prison operates to make a profit...who the hell do you think is paying the operational costs? Hint: The state.

Double hint: that means me and you.

Triple Hint: How the hell would operational costs be covered if we WEREN'T paying for it? There is no legitimate reason for a prison to be run for profit, somebody's got to pay and guess what consumers aren't going to sponsor a prison directly. Therefore, who else is going to pay for it? The state...us. It's circular logic but we're told time and again that somehow this is less expensive. There is NO profit to be skimmed off the top for administrators and executives when it's state run. Privatizing something like a prison ONLY serves as a way for someone running the show to extract money from the system, if that weren't the case no business would ever be involved in running a business.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Why? I'll tell you why, more opportunities for Contractors to rake in dollars from the U.S. Government while delivering the lowest possible standards.

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

This notion scares me. Are private prisons going to be regulated like public prisons in the fact of basic human rights (and I said basic) and treatment? Or are they just going to be allowed to do whatever they want to serve whatever corporation built them?

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Ah the minor drug offenders serving decades in prison argument. Georgia has 4 private prisons out of 50+ prisons. Georgia also puts all its stats on the web. Georgia Department of Corrections

As of today, there are 81 inmates in state prison for Possession of Marijuana. 741 inmates for Possession of Marijuana with intent to Distribute. There are 51119 inmates. That means that less than 2% are in prison for marijuana offenses. There are 684 for Possession of Cocaine. 433 for Possession of Cocaine with intent to distribute. That's 2% for cocaine offenses.

Not exactly filling the prisons to the brim with low level drug offenders.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Prison labor is a great way to make college furniture, clothing, and military gear (such as the faulty bulletproof vests that were sent to Iraq a few years back).

Prison labor is slave labor by a different name. Funny way of history repeating itself when you look at prison demographics. Funny as in disgusting that the "land of the free" has essentially re-established slavery under a different name.

http://www.thomhartmann.com/users/p...-has-prison-slave-labor-population-well-china

----------

You realize that this country with a population 1/3 the size imprisons more people than China, right?

Are you under the impression that America is that full of awful people, or do you think that maybe the incentives for imprisonment and arrest may be misaligned with the public interest?

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

That is just Georgia, which lets be honest it not a great place to start with. ( Btw, Born and Raised in Atlanta, I was happy to get out of that flyover state ) And it is not a reflection of the nation.

http://rt.com/usa/life-prison-without-parole-694/

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...lf-of-federal-prisoners-held-for-drug-crimes/

The fact is NO ONE should be in Prison for Drug Crimes, all drugs should be legal. The " war on drugs " is a way to line pockets of the feds and big business. Every drug crime unless it invovles murder or rape is a minor crime.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ok-11-facts-about-americas-prison-population/

American houses 1/4th of the worlds prison population.

The fact that Private prisons are even allowed to exist is insane.

11. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I do disagree about drug crimes being minor offenses

12. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Why? If someone wants to smoke some pot, eat shrooms, do LSD, or acid, or ludes, or do some rails in the privacy of their own homes, why is it anyones business?

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I used the stats for Georgia because they are easily obtainable on the internet. You can look in information that is updated daily. Georgia has a population of just under 10 million. There are 51119 state prison inmates as of today. That is about a 1/2 of a percent.

They are not in prison for smoking marijuana. They are in prison because they chose to violate the law. They new it was illegal but did it any way. Hence, they get to serve a sentence.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Georgia stats are easy to find, but it is a flyover state, outside of Atlanta it has nothing. and not representative of the nation.

And yes, I am aware that they broke the law, but Private prisons are very much the reason the meaningless war on drugs Exists. It is to line the pockets of the fed, DEA, ATF, private prison builders and operators.

its all about money.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And THE LAW is supreme and always morally just, correct?

Remember those good old days, when you could go to jail for breaking the law by simply drinking from the wrong water fountain? After all, those people "new" (spell check, man) they were breaking the law, and since the law simply cannot be unjust (it's the law after all!) they got what they deserved.

You seem to be one walking, talking logical fallacy my friend.

16. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

At least in my country, government subsidies healthcare obviously meaning the government pays hospitals. Who pays the government? Tax payers. Another point, bed space is taken up by idiots that could have avoided a trio to the hospital and take up space possibly for car accident victims. Same goes for drunk drivers.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What? :confused:

Link to a source supporting the notion that our hospitals are over-run with drug related patients? :confused:

18. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

So, we should ban booze?

19. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

/thread

20. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yep. The idea of private prisons is insane.

21. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

It ignores public safety and human rights at the most basic level...

22. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

But don't worry! It provides profit to American prison business.As long as companies who pay the costs of advertising to get people elected paid..sounds like freedom to me.

This is why libertarians drive me insane, they would 100% support a private prison system who puts people in jail for no reason besides profit.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Like all privatisation it also provides an income source and ability to keep the services at (somewhat) arms-length from the government. The companies involved rather than elected officials can take the heat for any scandals. It's a win:win for everyone but the community.

24. TechGod, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I would describe my self as a libertarian:eek: However I in no way support much of the stupidity from that side nor the republican side. I, in general hope for America to not stay a pure capitalist country for long. America needs intervention from the governments, and stupid ass companies run America so there is a little chance of the government doing much of anything and if it's gonna have indecisive "adults" acting like immature brats(Case in point, government shutdown) running it, yeah good luck:rolleyes:

Not all things are should be run like a business and I definitely agree with you on that.

EDIT: Just to clarify I am nor firmly entrenched in the left wing nor the right. I am pretty close to the middle but if I was forced to decide I would slightly lean left.

25. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

It's also a loss for inmates treated poorly as I have read.

Perfect example here-
    https://medium.com/human-parts/9f53ef6a1c10
    An innocent treated poorly although this was more of a "respect" thing for the officers involved.