Why I am going to spend 1548€ on a Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noelsch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. noelsch macrumors member

noelsch

There are thousands of people out there asking if all apple users lost their mind when someone says he is going to buy the iPhone X. If this isn't enough, also buying the 256GB version with additional apple care. But why are people doing that? Are they rich? Do they want to be "cool"? What is the main reason to spend an an average monthly salary on a phone?

So let me explain my point of view..

For me as a young guy the smartphone is the most important thing in my daily life. We, the young generation, use our smartphones the whole day. Checking mails, keeping in touch with friends, organizing ourselfes, exploring the internet and using it for chillout and coming down. So it isn't just one single device for a single task. It is an universal devices for nearly doing everything in the digital world.

Second - it is a tool for me as a marketeer. I can solve problems of my customers, stay in touch with them and of course keep my social media on track.

One of the main reasons why I think 1548€ for the iPhone X isn't that much is the fact that reselling an iPhone is easy. You're losing much less than reselling an android device. So I would say a year after buying it for the full price you can sell it for 3/5 of the original price. Putting this in relation to the fact that I am using it the whole day - everyday, shows that this is a good ratio. In my opinion.

Last thing - you're maybe wondering why I am going to add apple care on top for 229€. Think about carrying around a phone worth 1300€ the whole day - it gives me a) a much better feeling and b) I can easily get a 24hour replacement in case of problems. Also when I drop this phone. You don't want to pay the original price for a display-repair at apple :)

One thing you might keep in mind while grumbling on apples price policy - well this phone is highly overbred. So powerful, so modern and of course a view into the future of smartphones.

just my 2 cents I wanted to share with you :rolleyes:

2. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

No way you’ll sell it for €1000 after one year. The more expensive a product, the worse the resale value and the less desperate the buyer.

3. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

To be fair how you spend your money is none of my business. That said, what you listed for your use could easily be done on an iPhone 7, 7+, 8 or 8+. You shouldn’t have to justify your purchase... If you want the device, can afford it and feel you’re getting a good value for your money, then that’s all that matters.

4. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

We really don't need another thread on this.

There are a handful to choose from...

5. nasa25 macrumors 65816

This exactly. No need to justify the purchase other than saying ‘it’s my money and I want a Ten’

6. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

It’s nice to see a thread like this one instead of the constant “iPhone X is overpriced” “Face ID is a failure” and so on. You don’t have to justify how much money you spend on a smartphone, I will also be buying the iPhone X but I’m not going to justify it at the end of the day I think it’s worth it for me and I have the money. I think sometimes people get caught up in trying to justify themselves to other people that they forget it’s not about that it’s about whether YOU want it.

I agree with you tho, the iPhone is the main device that (apart from my Apple Watch) is constantly with me and used throughout the day. Also the camera is something I use a lot.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    To be fair most of them are the negative ones, it is nice to see a positive thread on this for a change. But yes I get your sentiment.

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Is this a positive one? Then I take it back.

8. Dave245, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2017

Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

It seems to a positive post on why the OP will be buying the iPhone X.

9. Ries macrumors 68020

You can do that on a iPhone 6 easily and have enough money left for a nice vacation with friends while getting some memories worth more than than 20 iPhone X'es.

10. noelsch thread starter macrumors member

noelsch

I forgot to say that I love taking photos with my phone. So that is definitely a reason for me to buy the iPhone X.

11. B_mark_R macrumors newbie

B_mark_R

Here is the rub. You can keep in touch with friends, check email and surf the web just as well on a device that cost half the price!

12. ctrlzone macrumors regular

ctrlzone

resell value is higher, cost increase is very, very minor