why i believe verizon will be offered the iPhone& refuse to offer it on their network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iperson21, Oct 12, 2010.

1. iperson21 macrumors regular

ok. its pretty clear that verizon has pretty much started competed with Apple & AT&T with their DROIDS, pretty much the best android phones on the market, maybe excluding the EVO 4G. They offer all these killing features that the iPhone lacks, but make it so you can pick and choose your features.
    If you want a keyboard, DROID 2 (R2D2) , if you want a large screen and a slim phone, you can go for the DROID X. If you want just alot of features, you can get the Droid Incredible. So, basically, if someone had to choose as their first smartphone on either network, i would not understand who at all would go to AT&T.
    Android Phones: Verizon Wins
    Service: Verizon Wins
    Data Plans: Verizon Wins
    if someone said they wanted the iPhone for the "iPhone part of it", they could get a Droid Incredible for $70 with contract from newegg, pop in a 16GB SD card, and then go pick up a refurb. iPT4.

I've heard, and I might be wrong, that Apple gets money from the plans AT&T customers choose with their iPhones, and on top of that, the money they earn from profits from selling the iPhone 4 itself.
    So, why would verizon, when they have so many amazing phones and service, give in to Apple, so they can eat a huge junk of their profits, which would also take away profits from their DROID profits since I bet alot of people are eventually going to give in and get a DROID instead of waiting for a Verizon iPhone.

please share your thoughts. and also, do HTC/Motorola keep money from the contracts customers buy with their DROIDS?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's not like their CEO said they had to earn having the iPhone or anything recently....

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I know that's what it was initially but I think after they started subsidizing the phones Apple doesn't get any more from the contract than a normal phone manufacturer gets. I may be wrong though.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, their CEO mentioned many times they are open for talks with Apple for an iphone and that their network could support it easilly.
    So if they have the opportunity they're going to run not even think about it twice IMO:)

5. Xavier macrumors 68020

Verizon rejected the iPhone originally. If I were a betting man, I would guess that if Apple came to Verizon about a compatible iPhone, they would jump on it.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well, Verizon was offered the iPhone and they turned it down...I doubt if they'll be stupid enough to make the same mistake twice.

7. vant macrumors 65816

Terrible grammar on the subject line.

Anyways, I love how everyone is acting like Apple really cares about offering their phones elsewhere. Apple has just now started to offer the iPhone in the US at 5-7 business days. Obviously demand is very high, no need to offer it on a competing network.

Everyone seems to be missing the obvious point that Apple is making and has been making for the past 2 years. NO CDMA. Not today. Not tomorrow. Apple has made this firm stance, its sad to see people posting 'Verizon' rumors when they simply aren't true. GSM carriers will be the only target for Apple.

Had Verizon accepted the iPhone 3 years ago, things would be very different today.

8. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Verizon would not make the same mistake twice. Plus, your topic is full of your own opinions. First off Android isn't a phone, it's an operating system. So, you have to compare Android to iOS. Verizon offers many different operating systems, they aren't going to turn down Apple due to them having a different operating system than their best-selling devices. Secondly, better service is an opinion. Yes, Verizon has more coverage, but that does not make it better coverage. AT&T is better in my area than Verizon. And also, much faster. I could never deal with Verizon again, there speeds around me are terrible. But this is all opinion. Third, data plans. Again, opinion. I never used unlimited data. I barely use over 1GB/month. So now I save $5 extra. Seems better in my opinion.

Offer me some facts on why Verizon will not offer the iPhone, then we'll talk.

9. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

First off, the iPhone is by far the best selling smartphone handset available today. (people often think of it as a "system", but it's just a handset) That best selling handset brought lots of customers to AT&T (despite their inferior network) so it would be a real no-brainer from Verizon's point of view to the question of "wanting" it.

The question is, can Verizon live with a handset that carries absolutely NO carrier branding, carrier customization or imbedded carrier services?

Only Verizon knows.

10. ogdogg macrumors 6502

You are wrong, as is the OP. Verizon will get the iPhone next year and it will benefit them as well as Apple. A CDMA iPhone is all but certain at this point and Apple does care about offering their products to as many people as possible.

Also, if Verizon accepted the iPhone 3 years ago, the only difference would be that people would be bashing Verizon's network for having tons of dropped calls and slow data transfers instead of AT&T's.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Wow...the OP has so much opinion and conjecture in it seemingly attempting state it as fact, I'm not sure where to begin or if I want to.

As stated already, Android is an OS and not a hardware device.
    Android has "killing features the iPhone lacks". Ok, WHAT FEATURES are KILLING? I have yet to see something on an android OS that the iOS or its apps can't do. Mind you, I have not seen them all. Just stating from my perspective.
    Service on Verizon wins. Win's what exactly? I'm in Dallas, Tx. Both carriers have a ton of coverage through out the location. But AT&T allows me to do voice AND data at the same time. Verizon does not. So how does that make Verizon win?

I'm sure theres more that I want to list. But you get the point.
    It seems that age old argument that goes back to horses and cars. My horse is better than yours because its brown and has 4 legs. Car manufacturer X is better than all cars made by other car manufacturer X.
    Sheesh.
    Sounds almost as if there's an agenda behind the post.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, AT&T publicly said that "revenue sharing" stopped when 3G subsidies began. (They're almost the same thing to Apple... except a subsidy means they get paid up front instead of sharing over months. I guess they figured out pretty quickly that AT&T had pulled a fast one on them, offering small monthly fees.)

The reason "everyone seems to be missing" that point is that most people figure that Apple isn't dumb enough to stand by and lose the majority market to Android, especially over something like CDMA. This isn't a street gang war, this is business.

Interesting thought. Would Android have taken off as quickly?

If you mean the best selling single handset model, that's often true. (In the past some RIM models have outsold it.)

However, other phones do well, too. The Galaxy S series has sold over 5 million since its debut in June. And that's with no widespread press coverage like Apple always gets.

They often sell smartphones without embedded services, and customization is often limited to the startup screens and optional themes. But yeah, the outside branding is an interesting problem. I keep thinking they might get by with having a special color and/case style.

Probably both ATT and Verizon (and perhaps Sprint by now) would've been selling it. Apple went to Verizon in addition to letting ATT know they were doing the phone. Were they after a bidding war? Who knows, but that would've worked far better if they'd had a working phone to show off.

As for Verizon, you might've seen slow data perhaps, but not dropped calls. Since they're separated, that failure point doesn't exist as it does with ATT.

13. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Does their network multitask yet?

As far as I know (when I used them) Verizon's implementation of CDMA is Voice or Data, but not both at the same time.

Anyone on Verizon that can comment on the following scenarios?
    No cheating using WiFi for data...

You are in a conversation which leads to setting up a meeting, but are unable to look up a location until you end the call?

A colleague and you are discussing a new client, and emails you a letter or spreadsheet for a quick comment, but you have to end the call to download the email, then call them back with your thoughts?

To me, this is a major FAIL.

FWIW, the above scenarios have worked on the 3G iPhone forward (since 2008).

14. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Oh wow I didn't realize this is what they meant by a lack of multitasking...in that case at&t definitely wins. I do that all the time (call and look something up)

15. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Exactly.

It is worth noting as well that the Windows 7 phones announced yesterday will be available at launch on any network you want as long as it is not CDMA (Verizon).

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Are Verizon's Android phones good? Yes, but if someone really wants an iPhone, and Android/iPod Touch combo isn't gonna cut for the average user(using both devices is a bit techy for some like say, my mother)

Although point you bring up is data plans. You argue Verizon wins there. I think victory depends on what you're looking for. If its cost, 15 dollars a month might be good enough(again for a casual user, my mother is excited about the possibility of an iPhone for only an extra 15 dollars a month)

Honestly, Verizon has no reason to say no to the iPhone unless Apple depend something unreasonable, and even then, Verizon has good reasons to give in. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T Mobile all know good devices are one key part of success.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

Both Verizon and Apple are big control freaks. Verizon would demand that they be allowed to force their own crapware onto the iPhone in place of the standard Apple programs. They would also demand that priority be given to Verizon's vCast app store/music junk. Apple wouldn't agree to that. Plain and simple, neither side wants to budge. Verizon is not willing to accept that all people really need from their cell carrier is a dumb pipe.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Do you really think AT&T doesn't like that control? It won't even allow side loaded app for Android.

The reality of the cell phone provider market is everyone wants control, it just a matter of who can enough 'power' to convince the other to back down.

19. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

The day Verizon stops liking money and paying customers is the day they turn down Apple and the iPhone.

20. vant macrumors 65816

http://theweek.com/article/index/207908/a-verizon-iphone-the-torturous-rumor-timeline-2007-2010

Yup. Just like the rumor mills were flowing in 08 and 09. I don't see 2010 to be anything different.

The majority market has never been a concern for Apple.

The strange thing about Apple products is that consumers tend to jump hoops to get them, not the other way around. The way I see it is Apple prefers to have the SIM card. Probably for the same reasons on why I hate CDMA.

Example: I have a CDMA (No-SIM) phone. I go to china for a business trip, but I am unable to use my phone due to the SIM card limitation. If my CDMA phone works on the same frequency as another CDMA network in the world, I'll have to jump through hoops to get it working (not feasible).

Ideal Example: I have a GSM (SIM) phone. I go to China. My phone still works! I purchase a prepaid SIM or a month plan (depending on stay) and I go on my merry way.

21. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The people who believe Verizon made a mistake by passing on the first iPhone have no business sense, and will never manage much of anything.

AT&T has had slightly higher growth than Verizon but their network took a beating. There's a lot more to it than raw numbers like subscriber count. AT&T will be known as a subpar provider for the next decade.

Meanwhile at Verizon they've enjoyed record profits, nice growth (2nd to only AT&T), a low churn rate, and most important has a solid reputation. They didn't get off the ground as quickly as AT&T did when it comes to selling good 3G smartphones but they spent their time preparing their business for the boom in data use.

Slow and steady growth is the key to most any business. Growing too fast can be as damaging to a company as negative growth if not more so. It ruined AOL.

22. Spudracer macrumors 6502

BINGO Truckdriver! What's kept Apple and Verizon apart has little to do with technology (CDMA vs GSM) or network viability. The real battle has always been and continues to be who controls the customer relationship and therefore the customer experience for the long term. Steve Jobs would say that the carrier is only there to provide access and bandwidth for the Apple branded OS, H/W, and content delivery platform. AT&T gave in to that demand. Verizon wants the customer to view their "superior" network as a brand while offering a supermarket of what they see as fashion accessories (phones) with a verizon logo stamped on every one. Every other phone maker fell into line, why won't Apple? Verizon couldn't see Apple as different from Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, LG, et al. That was Verizon's mistake. Jobs is a visionary control freak. He's not going to walk away from the vision. It's not in his DNA. In order for the iPhone to come to Verizon, that company will have to cede the customer relationship to Apple. Period!

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Pwahahaha, hammer someone for their grammar then use a word that doesn't exist in the English language.

You seem to be missing the point that Apple has a CDMA test lab on premises. They have been testing and preparing for a potential CDMA iPhone for years now.

In exactly what way has Apple taken this firm stance? I've never heard any hint from Apple either direction.

its sad to see people posting 'Verizon' rumors when they simply aren't true. GSM carriers will be the only target for Apple.
    [/QUOTE]

Read up on SVDO and VoRA. Simultaneous voice & data are possible and could quickly be rolled out on Verizon if deemed necessary.

Then you aren't paying attention. This is the first time NYT has backed up WSJ with their own source.

I took my no-SIM CDMA Treo 650 to China...worked just fine.

24. nukztar macrumors member

Can i state something obvious?

Verizon isnt the only network in the world..... And america is not Apples only market.

- a CDMA iphone will not just be for Verizon. It will be useable on all CDMA networks around the world.

This isnt just about Verizon. This is also about worldwide sales and choice. Apple will be able to compete in all markets with all operators. This is the choice we are all dying for.

25. Syk macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the iPhone being on Verizon in 2011, maybe 2012 when the exclusivity runs out.

I thought the CDMA phones that seems to be leaking are heading to China.

Ok flame suit time, give me a second to put it on.

To me there's something special about having a phone that only one carrier has. If everyone could get it then it seems to not be so special. I know if Apple puts it on every network it's more sales for them and people will buy but it sort of cheapens the brand, not sure if that's the word I'm looking for.

Sort of like the iPad being sold in Target, Walmart, it sort of just becomes some doo hickey mixed in among other doo hickeys. It's like going to a Ford dealership to buy a Ferrari. It's the same car no matter where it's sold but still it loses something unique about it...