Why I decided to wait a year and get the iPhone 8 plus instead ad of the iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jacoblee23, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

I picked up my gold 256 iPhone 8 plus today. Upgraded from the 7plus for wireless charging, truetone, and better camera. I feel good about it. The more I thought about it the more I just couldn’t let go of Touch ID and familiarity. I know what to expect.

I know for the most part Apple has a good reputation for launching new types of technology, but for me this is such a big change that I feel more comfortable staying put for now than to feel like a Guinea pig. It’s easier for me to pull out my phone and unlock it then to make sure I’m looking at it. If I’m going to spend this type of money on a device I want to be sure that I’m getting the utmost quality. Happy with my iPhone 8plus. Btw, the gold looks sharp this year.

Anyone else do or doing the same for similar reasons?

2. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

whatever excuse makes you convinced you are right. Its about what feels right man..

3. Peanut207, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

Ok glad your happy with the 8 plus. I myself however can’t wait to get my hands on the silver 256GB X! The wait is killing me.

Besides, Touch ID will be gone soon so I’m ready to move forward with face ID now.

4. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

I don't look at your stating facts about your own use and needs is an excuse. I think many of us don't give a rat turd about the design being 4 years old. We like it, it has updated internals and in fact other than the display and face ID it's exactly the same as the X everyone is waiting on. I like the direction the X is taking, but I am just not ready to take that leap just yet. I will eventually though! :)

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I think the biggest question is whether you're dying to get a bigger screen in a smaller phone. I'm not. I have no issues whatsoever with the size of the plus phones, so it was an easy decision for me to buy the 8+ this year.

6. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 65816

That played into my decision making too. The plus is the perfect size phone for my needs.

7. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

My 256GB Gold 8 Plus is on the FedEx truck for delivery this afternoon.

I feel great about the purchase. It's a pretty big upgrade from my 6s Plus.

I have big hands... I love the size of the Plus. I can use it one handed. The screen is perfect. I don't care about the longer and narrow X screen. If there was an X Plus I'd have been more interested.

I love Touch ID. Could give a rat's about Face ID.

Not interested in being a 1st gen beta tester. I felt the same way about the Watch... my first one is on its way to me now as well... the series 3.

Don't care about the "outdated 4 year old design." It works. I'm comfortable with it.

I'm getting the same processor and more that is in the X anyway.

Tell me again why I should be jumping on the X bandwagon? No thanks.

8. fathergll macrumors 65816

I'm only upgrading because I have a 6. If I had a 7 i would have definitely waited to see what the next version of the X was like.

9. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I’m on a 6 at the moment and will get the 8+ when it becomes available. Just can’t be bothered with waking up early and ordering online. Plus I want to get on the upgrade program. So only Apple store is my option.

10. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Your purchase is great for someone whose coming from a 6s. It is a huge jump.

For those with 7, not so much.

That's why I'm on the X bandwagon.

11. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

Yeah I can understand that. I went year to year upgrades every year... until last year. I passed on the 7. I thought the 6s Plus was still adequate... and in a way I still do.

One of the reasons I upgraded was Verizon gave me a $275 trade credit... which is really all I could ask for for a 2 year old phone. I was happy with the 6s Plus and the 6 Plus before it... so going for the 8 Plus was an easy decision.

I fully expect to hold on to the 8 Plus for 2 years as well... unless I am totally blown away by the XI next year.

12. EfratBarTal macrumors member

EfratBarTal

My belief, for me 8 is better than 10 at the moment. Also, same processor means 8 will be snappier than 10 (less pixels to move). Eventually face ID will be far superior than Touch ID, but this will take a while. Also, headphone jack is STILL much better than no headphone jack, and it's been a year since they removed it.

13. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I couldn't pass up OLED and the more compact/modern form factor.

14. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

Same here. Also, the OIS on both rear cameras.

15. ctbaz macrumors regular

Plus you really don't get more usable screen on the X. With it being more narrow, the notch up top and the little bar at the bottom instead of the home button I think you end up with less than 5.5.

Lets not even talk about landscape more on the X.......that's just a mess.

16. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Great move, Jacoblee23 - I am so close to grabbing an 8 Plus to replace my 6s Plus, believing that the TouchID is the best piece of technology that Apple should have carried over to the X. I'm either gonna grab an 8 Plus if a killer deal comes up, or wait an extra year and see what the 2018 X brings (hopefully a virtual TouchID on the glass screen).

17. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

Don't let the haters get you down... I made the same rationalization. I'm waiting on the XI or XII before I become a believer in FaceID. I like my digits doing the authentication...

Wireless Charging is awesome btw... I have a base at work for my Samsung Galaxy S7 and now I can charge both phones.

18. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 65816

19. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

I'm sure you'll love your new phone as the 8/8+ look pretty amazing.....however I would like to point out that you didn't wait a year, you still bought a new phone :p

20. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502a

Deacon-Blues

If I wasn't really happy with my 7 Plus I'd be looking at the 8 Plus now. I like the upgrades to it, but it's not worth it to me to upgrade so soon. I wouldn't be upgrading to the X either way because the screen is smaller. Okay it's longer, but it's narrower and it has that dreadful notch taken out of the top. In terms of surface area the X screen is smaller than my 7 Plus or the 8 Plus.

Now when the X Plus shows up, there will be true temptation. But that notch... oh God WTF were they thinking?

Good choice OP! Enjoy the new phone.

21. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I upgraded my 6s to the 8+ today. Like everyone else I was intrigued by the X but in the end not enough to fight the pre-order shortage and pay the high price. My plan is the continue to upgrade on the S models which in a sense the 8 really is. Let them work out the kinks on the first model and then purchase the upgraded version. I don't have to be first as I've had more than enough iPhones at this point in my life.

22. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

8 doesn’t have a headphone jack though.

23. Bee1776 macrumors newbie

Bee1776

It comes with an adaptor for headphone jack that plugs into lightning port.

24. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I remember touch ID #1 and then a year later touch ID #2 came out that was better, faster and for some, more reliable. This is one reason I will wait until 2018 at the earliest to upgrade to the face ID that may have some teething issues.

25. EfratBarTal macrumors member

EfratBarTal

I know. what I meant was, the replacing of the Touch ID with the face id is a bit like the removal of the jack in the sense that at least in the near future you are not getting something better, only (possibly) in the long run.