Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjmarayag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Okay, so a few weeks ago, I posted a thread asking for help for which one I should get: a 4S or a 4. A lot of people gave their opinions. Some said to stick with the 4, while others suggested to go with the 4S. And I finally came to a decision.

6 days ago, I received my iPhone 4 32GB. I bought it for $240, which I think is a fair price where I come from. It was still in very good condition. Never mind the diminutive scuffs here and there; they are noticeable, yes, but to a negligible extent.

Anyway, I decided to go with the 4 because it was about the same with the 4S. It's still an iPhone, I still have access to apps on the App Store, it looks and works about 90% the same as the 4S, and is a heck of a lot cheaper. I don't need Siri, I don't need the 8MP camera, and I don't need a dual-core phone. All I needed was a phone that could connect me to people I want/have to talk to, take and post pictures on different social networking sites, play music, and give me Internet access. All of these things (and more), I could accomplish on my iPhone 4. (Wow, that rhymed!)

Some people disagreed with me, saying that the 4 is sluggish on later iOS versions, it's not an ideal phone to have, has bad battery life, and so on and so forth. Well, sorry to say guys, but what they said and what I experience are totally different things. When I got my phone, those same people were all, "Wow, it's pretty good!" or "It's smoother than my (insert newer-than-iPhone 4-phone here)." or just plain "Woooooooooow...".

iOS 6.1.3 runs awesomely on my phone. It hasn't given me any headaches. It's just as smooth and about as fast as my girlfriend's 4S. Apps work the same, the camera works the same, just about everything that I need it to do, it does with grace.

Battery life is awesome (at least, for me). I only had to charge my phone twice in the last 5 days. Twice! Compared to my old Galaxy Nexus (which I had bought brand new and kept for about 5 and a half months), the 4's battery life is just amazing. I had to charge my old phone the minute I got home from work, which wasn't really a hassle at all, but still troublesome compared to the 4.

Yes, on paper, most of the specs of the Nexus beat the ones on the 4, but the overall user experience is just beautiful. It's incomparable, really. They should really give a name for how smooth iOS is, kinda like how Google coined the term "Project Butter" for the smoothness on Jelly Bean. Maybe "Project Hot Knife"? Y'know, like the saying "Like hot knife through butter"? No? Okay. :(

But seriously though. I'm not saying all this to bash Android. I mean, I used Android phones for more than a year before I even considered getting an iPhone. Android is great at what it does, and iOS is great at what it does. It's what you need your phone to do that counts.

Let's go back to 4 vs. 4S. I got the 4 for $240, while the 4S sells today for about $340 here. Others may say that the other hundred dollars is trivial compared to what I could get, but it's not a small difference for me. I could do so much with that extra hundred, and no way was I going to spend it just so I can make my phone 2-4 seconds faster. No way.

What I did was, I used that extra hundred to swap my sister's old Lumia 800 for a like-new Galaxy S2. I regret nothing.

Now, let's talk graphics. I don't even really care about this at all. I only play casual games like Temple Run and Angry Birds. You know, the kind of games that people play to waste time. I mostly do my gaming on my computer, so I feel that being able to play games on my phone is just a bonus and not a feature.

Everything else, like texting and calling and whathaveyous work extremely well on the iPhone 4. No hiccups, no lags, no "OMGTHISPHONEISF******SLOW" moments.

In addition, the amount of cases and accessories for the iPhone 4 is just insane! This isn't actually really a requirement for me, but knowing that a lot of extras are available for my phone is very nice.

So, there you have it. These are my opinions, which may or may not be radically different from yours. If you're a first-time smartphone buyer or a first-time iOS device user looking for something affordable while able to give you a good experience, you can't go wrong with the iPhone 4. It's a whole lot more affordable than both the 4S and the 5, and functions basically the same. User experience is also the same, minus the expensive price tag. But if you've got the cash, want something more recent, and need to do a lot of demanding things on your phone, then go with the 4S/5. If I wasn't so strapped for cash I would've gone ahead with the 5, but that can wait for another 5 months.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I personally feel that it is most important that you like what you've bought. Nice to read that you love your new iPhone.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Am OK with my phone, I chose it for my personal reasons and yet I would never write a long manifesto like that. Too much commitment! ;) Sure I luv her now but I don't want to marry her! LOL. Whatever man.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Apple's phones & tablets do age well compared to the competition's. The Samsung Galaxy S3's price has already been slashed in half, straight after the S4 was released. I wonder why...

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Enjoy your 4, but to say there's not much between it and the 4S is wrong. If my wife notices how much smoother iOS is and now much quicker the 4S compared to her 4, then that's saying something. I cannot use my wife's 4, it's just more "stuttery" in comparison and slower.

I had the 4 from launch day, it was amazing on iOS 4 when I moved on from the iPhone 3G, it was great on iOS 5, but has began to slow on iOS 6.

Sure, it may well be great for your needs and I hope you enjoy the phone, but the only thing the 4 and 4S share is their design. It's a beast inside in comparison.

Fill an entire home screen with apps, leave no spaces, then watch it stutter as you return to the home screen from an app. With 3 rows of apps its smooth on the 4, whereas the 4S handles full pages of apps fine. Just an example.

The only reason I notice is because I'm used to it from years of experience.

Last edited:

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Pretty much mirrored my thoughts when i got my 4 last year. Im still very happy with it although it does stutter here and there however its not show stopping. In saying that now that the Galaxy S3 is half price i might give that a try.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Just wait until you've used it for a month, it'll become slow as hell, it'll freeze up and apps will crash constantly and you'll feel like throwing it at a wall every time you pick it up.

Source: I still have an iPhone 4 and I feel like throwing it at a wall every time I pick it up.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
It's just as smooth and about as fast as my girlfriend's 4S. Apps work the same, the camera works the same

Don't lie to yourself. It is impossible for a Single Core to be as fast as a Dual Core. You know it, I know it.
Apps do not work the same. Some games (GTA, Infinty Blade, Real Racing etc) have much better graphics on the 4S, they run smoother & faster also. Again, Core Solo vs. Dual Core - can't be the same.
The camera can't be the same also ; the 4S has a MUCH better sensor with better lowlight with 1080p and Video stabilization. The 4S also has the Five-element lens with Hybrid IR filter and Face detection. And a faster aperture too, ƒ/2.4.

I'm sorry for being so harsh but it is the truth. The 4S has the better hardware and the iPhone 4 is a old phone (3 years in June) with outdated hardware.

Battery life is awesome (at least, for me)
I agree. The iPhone 4 has a great battery life ! Better than the 4S & 5.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As others stated, you get the device that best fits your needs, if that's the 4 for less $$$ great. Enjoy your phone.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
The battery life for me used to be great but as it's gotten older the battery's been getting worse and I'm now lucky if it lasts a day.
You are right. My sister uses my old iPhone 4 and she says that the battery is cr*p.
But man, back in 2010 I could go 2 days with that battery. I am still amazed because all the iPhones except the 4 have crappy battery.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Don't lie to yourself. It it impossible for a Single Core to be as fast as a Dual Core. You know it, I know it.
Apps do not work the same. Some games (GTA, Infinty Blade, Real Racing etc) have much better graphics on the 4S, they run smoother & faster also. Again, Core Solo vs. Dual Core - can't be the same.
The camera can't be the same also ; the 4S has a MUCH better sensor with better lowlight with 1080p and Video stabilization. The 4S also has the Five-element lens with Hybrid IR filter and Face detection. And a faster aperture too, ƒ/2.4.

I'm sorry for being so harsh but it is the truth. The 4S has the better hardware.

I couldn't agree with this post more. I didnt know many people with a 4S, they stuck with a 4 as they assumed it was basically the same but inside its really quite a different experience. Battery life aside they made improvements in pretty much every area and not just in a spec sheet fashion. First thing i noticed was the screen, despite being the same res the 4 displays a much cooler tone whilst the 4s is warmer and much more colour accurate. Call quality is also significantly better due to improved mics and speaker, even on loudspeaker. No antenna issues. Less dropped calls (apart from when calling mates with an iPhone 4) Significantly improved camera optics resulting in much better pictures. Also, no issues with the Home button sticking, unlike a lot of iphone 4 i have seen :)

It's great the OP got a phone that suits his needs and that a 3 year old model can still be useful, but it is still a 3 year old phone and despite looking the same on the outside the 4S is a better phone in nearly every way. The 4S will also receive software support for longer than the 4 due to it being much newer. If you plan on keeping a phone for a couple of years this is something worth keeping in mind as it does add to the cost/value equation when making a purchase like this.

mjmarayag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Don't lie to yourself. It is impossible for a Single Core to be as fast as a Dual Core. You know it, I know it.

I'm sorry for being so harsh but it is the truth. The 4S has the better hardware and the iPhone 4 is a old phone (3 years in June) with outdated hardware.

I agree. The iPhone 4 has a great battery life ! Better than the 4S & 5.

Okay, let me be clear about the single core - dual core thing. What I meant was that they performed the same basic duties. Yes, every game runs a whole lot faster on the 4S, and yes, the camera on it is more amazing. But I'm not after the 8MP, and neither am I after the games. Like I said in my post, I play only casual, non-graphic heavy games as I have a desktop that I can play heavier games on. I also only need pictures to post on social networking sites because I'm not the serious photographer type. I'm not sure if you read my whole post or not, but I was only trying to point out that the 4 serves MY needs well. I know that while both the 4S and the 4 do the same things, the 4S does it a whole lot better, at a much shorter time. I don't know where you got the whole "lying to myself" stuff, but wherever you got it from, it wasn't me. Well, I don't know, I might have said the wrong words... Anyway, while I do agree that the 4S is the faster and better phone, I only needed the 4. And based on my experience so far, the 4 has been serving me very well. I don't care if I have the best phone. I only get what fits my budget and serves my needs well, which the 4 has been doing so far.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
That's great that you only needed the 4.

But don't come on here trying to justify to yourself that its "as good" as the 4S.

It's not, and not just for games.

I'm all for folk enjoying what they buy, but these kind of self back patting, self gratification, self justification rants are as common as muck on here.

Enjoy what you have, but don't talk down superior hardware to make your own purchase seem more worthwhile.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

But don't come on here trying to justify to yourself that its "as good" as the 4S.

I'm all for folk enjoying what they buy, but these kind of self back patting, self gratification, self justification rants are as common as muck on here.

Enjoy what you have, but don't talk down superior hardware to make your own purchase seem more worthwhile.

Clearly it's not pure enough for your tastes, Heisenberg ;)

mjmarayag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013

I know that it's not as good as the 4S... I just said that, didn't I? What have I gotten myself into.

Okay. I'm sorry for buying the 4 and trying to "justify to myself" that it's a good buy. I'm also sorry for being a "self-patting" optimist. Please forgive me, I am but a mere mortal. Oh, cruel fate, why have you brought this upon me? :))

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I know that it's not as good as the 4S... I just said that, didn't I? What have I gotten myself into.

Okay. I'm sorry for buying the 4 and trying to "justify to myself" that it's a good buy. I'm also sorry for being a "self-patting" optimist. Please forgive me, I am but a mere mortal. Oh, cruel fate, why have you brought this upon me? :))

There's always someone who has to make sure you're wrong in your own opinion eh?

I've had my iPhone 4 since launch and it still fits the bill. I'm a bit techie so I'm well aware that my phone is beginning to show signs of age. Good on you for choosing what best suited your needs. May it stay that way until it doesn't fulfil your needs anymore.

mjmarayag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
There's always someone who has to make sure you're wrong in your own opinion eh?

I've had my iPhone 4 since launch and it still fits the bill. I'm a bit techie so I'm well aware that my phone is beginning to show signs of age. Good on you for choosing what best suited your needs. May it stay that way until it doesn't fulfil your needs anymore.

I guess there would always be someone like that everywhere we go. Ah, such is life. Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty happy with it! Thanks for the feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.