Resolved Why I need an iPad Air if I own rMBP 15" and Galaxy Note or MBAir?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Dec 7, 2013.

1. hajime, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I have a rMBP 15" and a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I am considering to get an iPad Air. I am looking for justifications for spending the money to buy this product. Those of you who have already own a rMBP 15" or MacBook Air, what advantage/disadvantage do you have for owning the iPAd Air?

2. davsp macrumors newbie

Not sure if it's just me, but if you have to ask other people to justify your spending on something, you probably don't need it.

3. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

iPad apps are definitely the top tier of tablet apps. Android and all others cannot match those. Some apps for the iPad even rival desktop versions, especially apps that require portability.

Besides that, what are you looking for in an iPad? It does seem like you are looking for a reason to get one. For this reason alone, you might want to evaluate why you want one.

4. sergioarista macrumors newbie

I have a 13" rMBP along with ipad mini and ipad air and they work really well together; you can use the ipad air with 3rd party apps such as air display to use ipad as a sec on retina display, apps to enhance the operation of final cut pro x or adobe software, as a really good pdf and book reader... and more.
    This way I basically use the rmbp for work related and ipad air as my personal device.
    They also sync well contacts, calendars and files.

I think it depend much on what do you use them for. The only thing I envy from samsung is the stylus, but mi wife used the galaxy note 2 and the galaxy note 10.1 " and she misses iOS ecosystem when i gave her an ipad mini she was so happy that she has never gone back to galaxy note 10.1 "

I hope it helps a little bit on your decision.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I am on public transportation and at the stations about 2 hours/day. It is very inconvenience to take out my laptop. I could use whatever version of iPad to do some pdf readings.

I have one reason for buying it but trying to justify if it is worth due to the cost of the device.

6. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

If you just want it for reading documents while on public transit, why not just use the Note 2 you already have?

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you need others to come up with reasons to justify buying something then you are just blowing money on something you simply want. Whether or not that is something you are okay with is up to you.

Personally I wouldn't waste that much money on something I have no need or use for. Since you already have devices that can cover all the uses of the iPad.

8. mpantone macrumors 6502

If you want something larger than your 5.5" phablet for primarily reading PDFs on public transit, I suggest you pick up a bargain 9-10" Android tablet or maybe a refurb/used iPad 2 (16GB, WiFi only).

Shelling out the big bucks for the premium-priced iPad Air sounds like a big waste of money for your intended primary purpose.

But it's your money, do what you want.

9. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Red Cross is a good place to get rid of money you don't need.

10. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

It is too small. I always have to zoom in and take off my glass to read it.

11. MiesVanDerRobot macrumors member

The retina iPads are among the finest PDF reading devices in existence at present. Combine with a good PDF markup app (iAnnotate or GoodReader, for example), and you've got a nice document-handling workflow that lets you highlight, annotate, and full-text search.

So if that's your imagined use case, it's an excellent solution for that case. Just be sure to get a retina version, as the PDF experience is noticeably improved.

That being said, you do seem well-supplied with devices of various form factors already. So the counterpoint to consider is: how much is a first-class PDF-reading experience worth to you, when you already have access to a business-class experience of the same thing?