Why I sold my iPad 1 and put an order for an iPad 2.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by freeman727, Apr 20, 2011.

1. freeman727 macrumors 6502

I bought a used first gen 64gb 3G a month ago for $500. I thought it would be good enough and wanted to hold out for an iPad 3 with its rumored Retina Display. However I just sold it for the same 2 days ago.

Despite what I initially thought the iPad 1 is a bit laggy on apps such as Garage Band and viewing Powerpoints. These tasks on my friends' iPad 2's are very quick. Needless to say i put an order in for an ipad 2. The front facing cam, better graphics and increased thinness is a plus.

I am glad to hear that the wait times are improving. I ordered from Vanns.com. Free Shipping and no tax. The rep that I spoke with said about 2 weeks. I can live with that. Tax in NY for a $700 is $60!

So I now I don't know how important Retina Display really will be, we'll wait and see.

2. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I noticed the keyboard on the iPad 2 is much snappier than the iPad 1.
    The lag in the iPad 1 keyboard would be really annoying if I were doing a lot of typing.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

True. That's the main reason why I want an iPad 2. The lag wasn't too noticeable until the 4.2.2 update.

4. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

5. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

The iPad 1 was snappy when it was originally released too. Maybe it's an Apple conspiracy to slow our devices down so we upgrade. Zip! Bang! Pow!:D

Good choice to upgrade OP. I have the 32gb wifi and I saw a 10-high stack of 32gb Att iPads at Best Buy today. It was so hard to not earn Reward Points.

6. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

7. cole01 macrumors 6502

I've also ordered a 2 being a first gen owner. The first generation has served me well for over a year but is now starting to show somewhat laggy behavior ever since upgrading to 4.2 (it was 100% snappy on 3.2) Nothing noticeable if you're not familiar with iOS but the iPad 2 and multitasking definitely benefit from the extra processor + ram boost. Also, I think of it as a way of futureproofing myself for the time being. Can't wait until I can get my grubby hands on it.

8. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I pre-ordered an iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi Black from Vann's on the morning of April 21 and it shipped that afternoon!

9. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I don't need to upgrade. I don't need to upgrade. I don't need to upgrade.

LOL

It works.

I bought my 64GB iPad 3G, brand new just over a month before iPad 2 was released up here.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not only am I hanging onto my iPad 1 until at least #3, but I waited for the iPad 2 to be released before buying my 1 - got it on clearance sale. I figure the iPad is going to be a moving target for at least 2 more years before it settles down. This gets me started on the "Tablet Thing", saves me money.... and finally when something is released that is a) relatively mature, and b) starts running software that won't run any more on my iPad 1, then I'll spring for an iPad 4, 5, 6?

For me it's still just a convenience and toy. But that's just me, and what I need - no reflection on what other's need theirs for.

11. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member

I never make a comparison, so my iPad 1 is snappy :D

12. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Don't let this thread dicourage you from picking up the 1st gen for the low. It still does most things well.

13. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I am about to buy the ipad can't decide between ipad 1 or 2 and now this maks me want to buy the ipad 2. But I am getting att refurb 16gb 3g for $329 can't ignore that as well.

How much of the lag will I feel. I have 3g iphone and wife has iphone 4 and the IP4 is so smooth while i don't like the lag and slow response on my iphone 3g.

I fear that new ios updates the ipad 1 will become like that laggy and slow response.

what should I do? jsut get the 16gb ipad2 for $499

14. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    that update ruined my iPad 1:mad:

15. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I really like my iPad 1 (jailbroken) and have my hesitations about wanting to upgrade but I got it from Verizon for 399 a few weeks ago.

I got it to see if i'd like the Ipad world, and I do. but i'm also wanting to upgrade in part because I don't use 32GB as much as I thought -- 16GB should suffice and I want the upgraded specs mostly for more RAM but it would be more futureproof for iOS 5. Something tells me Apple is gonna screw 1st gen owners over. So I'm considering selling mine and going the minimal, 16GB iPad 2 route.

But I like the construction a lot of 1st gen, dont need the cams, and fear backlight bleed (but can live with it til I replace it with a good one after production goes steady).

You think I could sell it on craigslist with box and receipt and 1 year warranty for $425 to recoup expenses?

Still not sure it's the best move but I figure iPad 2 will be JB eventually and iOS 5 might be the deal breaker.

Not a hardcore gamer or any of that either really. Angry birds is fun though.

And I like my Incase book jacket, but I still have a week or two before I can return it. Considering, if I get iPad 2, getting the SwitchEasy canvas, seems sleek and gets the same functionality accomplished.

But I dunno... it also might be too much effort for the gains.

16. falconeight Guest

falconeight

17. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Actually if you compare them side by side, you will most definitely notice the difference. 2x performance increase and 9x better graphics including a gyroscope? Oh, the cameras too ;)

18. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

played with iPad 2 and honestly it seems so much like iPad 1. under the hood, way different. playing with the menus, same stuff.

had a buyer lined up, played with my iPad 1 and wanted to low ball me on site so I took my iPad 1 and walked away.

I think its an omen I should stick with my iPad 1 :)

If/when ios5 comes out and is laggy with iPad 1, then i'll consider upgrading to iPad 2 (or holding onto ios4 and getting iPad 3 when it comes out).

Plus I think id' miss JB way too much.

19. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Meh, go ahead and get the iPad 2. I'm not going to lie, that is a good value you can get with the iPad 1 but you are going to get the performance increases with the dual core and increase graphics performance.

Now with the release of the next iOS, I"m sure they aren't going to limit the quality of the experience you can have with the iPad 1 because they know how many people still have and use the first one. For that portion of the question, I'm sure that it won't be laggy or anything if you choose to upgrade in the future.

20. zetsurin macrumors regular

I seem to be noticing a little more lag on my iPad 1 than previously. I've never used an iPad 2 but would imagine it feels snappier. However even though the iPad 1 is SLIGHTLY laggy I see no reason whatsoever to go running out to buy an iPad 2 right now. I think people are more or less just looking for excuses to justify buying the new model, not that there is anything particularly wrong with that though. I'm holding out for a proper upgrade model with retina display, and until something like that drops, my iPad 1 will do just fine thank you very much.

21. belder macrumors newbie

I think it was Leo Laporte who said that if you had an iPad the iPad 2 wouldn't be much of an upgrade unless you needed the camera. But for someone like me who didn't own one, the iPad 2 is amazing. But i'll probably not upgrade to an iPad 3. (Um...I'm kind of sorry I put that in writing now.)

22. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

The iOS 5 may expose the performance difference even more. For regular web surfing the performance difference will not manifest itself. But if you use apps that require lots of memory (e.g. Keynote) or graphics intensive games (e.g. Real Racing HD) then the iPad 2 will shine. There are reasons people do or not see the difference in performance.

23. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

There is a difference in the two. It manifests itself in ways you can't really list however, simple things like typing messages, loading pages and Apps are far better. More usable much like the 3G to 3GS was. I dont regret upgrading and will upgrade to the 3 also.

24. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

The only thing I'm a little apprehensive is the screen uniformity of the iPad 2. I'll just have to wait and see. Come on Vanns! :rolleyes:

25. thadoggfather, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah I wouldnt be too thrilled about that either considering the screen is the only thing you look at.

Hmmm, to sell my gen 1 32gb and go to gen 2 16gb or not...

Just got it a few weeks ago, I really think after analyzing YouTube videos, it's not a worthy update. PLus I really like my Incase book jacket grey stand/case combo.

The only tempting ipad 2 cases are the incase book jacket for ipad 2 and switcheasy canvas. but canvas looks better.