Why I still find myself using my 1G iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrakkenWar, Feb 22, 2012.

1. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

This saga begins when I bought my first generation iPhone. I was part of the bandwagon buyers! I chomped at the bit to get one. And I was beyond impressed with the phone, all the way up to iOS 3.1.3.

From there I upgraded to a 3G. An 8gig like my trusty aluminum and black plastic friend. However after about four months. I encountered to black screen of nothingness. I prowled the inter webs, as I liked the snappy speed and better reception of my new phone for a fix. To know avail. I piled every trickery in the box at this work of art. Only to finally throw my hands up, and pull my trusty friend out of the drawer, simcard in place and again a phone, a bit of art, albeit slow, a bit long in the teeth but getting the job done. Day in and out. I know it it will dial, I know I can send texts, work with the programs I need most: (EverNote! Thank hell still works.)

Flash forward to my first 3GS. Mind you, it was a 16gig beauty!
    It was given to me from a good friend that made the jump to an iPhone4. My main mac was still a dual/533 Digital Audio running 10.4! I loved the phone! The brilliance of the camera! Moving on to iOS4! All the stuff from the apps store at my finger tips! It was in a word... GRAND! The screen was beyond that of my thinkpad laptop that quickly found a home in the closet and then to criag's list.

Within 3 months the boot-loops started.Errors from the 2xxx's to the 3xxx's began while I tried to bring this phone back to life. It still sits here on my desk taunting me. From there I was up for an upgrade with ATT on my line, I jumped at the chance for a $0.99 3GS! Finally into the modern age with my phone again... That was when my wife's 3g decided to hit the farm for a dirt nap. ( Her contract is not up for another year.) So again came out my tried and true. 1g OG iPhone. I know I can hear the arguments now. You can get x on criag's list for cheap, look at eBay for that.. But that is not me. I go with what works, and so far, while I can't play some of the games I would like, while EverNote is a bit slow. And at times I get laughed at while plugging in my original iPhone to my pb 1.25 still running leopard while mucking a vnc connection to my 10.7 i5 mini at home. I grasp what works for me. What gets the job done.

And this slow, low resolution, hampered screened, reception-sucking phone is my charge it gets the job done. I would love to muck about in the cloud with my phone. I would love the flash for the camera to take away yet another gadget I need to take along with me in my bag. But for now? Unless I can find a deal that fits my budget. I am a mac guy. I love them all. And I still use a 1g iPhone everyday. :)

~Drake

2. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

I use my steam powered car at least once a day.

4. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

And I love using my typewriter to write comments on the web...

/

On a more serious note: I hope that the iPhone 5 makes you more happy :)

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I still use carrier pigeon exclusively to send text messages.

6. cursedearth macrumors member

7. motoleo, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I still use dial-up. Who needs broadband right?

8. james92se macrumors 6502a

I use my original iPhone every once in a while just to keep it operable. I try to keep it charged and not let it sit around dead. It's kind of fun to use for nostaligia's sake but the battery life on it is really, really awful. Like, 2-3 hrs of usage and that's even with a new battery. If I just leave it on and dont use it with no SIM installed it'll last 5-6 days. But as soon as I put a SIM in it and use it like a normal phone the battery is terrible as I already stated. It can also feel painfully slow at times by today's standards.

In between new iPhones I still use the original exclusively, though. But I make sure to always have chargers handy.

9. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

10. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I kept my black and white TV cause I just don't like all the colours.

11. cynics macrumors G4

Sounds like you've had a lot of problems with IPhones.

12. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I've never had any issues with any of my iPhones. I pull my original iPhone out of the drawer about once a week and use it. I think the original iPhone had the best "feel" I would love all the guts and screen resolution of my 4S in the case of an original iPhone.

13. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Well I still send my messages via Telegraph, AT&T labeled. :D

14. Pumapayam macrumors member

Pumapayam

you "jumped at the chance"?...I think the real issue is that you wasted your subsidy on a 2 1/2 year old phone...cheap much?

15. psonice macrumors 6502a

It sounds like some of those phones (like the 3G that died after 4 months) were under warranty.. yet you decided to just ditch them and go back to a 1st gen iPhone?!

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sounds like the OP has terrible luck. Can't keep a phone (with the exception of the first gen) from going into a boot loop after more than four months of use? You, sir, are definitely the exception, and not the rule.

17. jesslla macrumors newbie

My husband still uses his first gen iphone, but not as a phone. He carries both it and his HTC Aria around every day. I think the only thing he uses it for is to update data in his gas mileage app. He says he doesn't want to lose five years worth of data. If it still works and you're still happy with it, why switch?

18. Djs621 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder what a brand new in box first gen iPhone would go for

19. RenoG macrumors 65816

Cool story bro..

Sounds like all the phones (besides the OG IP1) were hand me downs hence no warranties.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've seen hovering around $1000-ish on eBay. Considering how much they cost to buy, there isn;t a very huge return on that investment. Give it a decade or two and I am sure collectors will be all over it.

21. Vook macrumors member

Vook

I wanted a 1st gen casing to cover my iPhone 4 for the longest time.......

22. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Right? The first gen iPhone was by far the "Applest" iPhone. Some 3rd party company should make a conversion kit. I'd buy it. Although I would never gut my 1st gen iPhone to do it. Not unless it completely burned out.

23. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

strange thread. Did you pick up the original when it was new? (~600 on contract if I remember). Not sure where those others went wrong and why you didn't take them to an apple store than be replaced. I went from a 3g (oct'08) to a 4s (nov '11) and would rather use a pay phone than go back to the 3g much less an original. (4.x for the most part ruined it is the general consensus.)

Then again I might just start using the old star tac again....

24. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

seems like the OP doesnt know what warranty is.

25. DrakkenWar thread starter macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

And so it comes!

To answer the questions....

My 1g was bought for around 600ish, give or take. I could find the paperwork, but to be honest? I really do not feel like it.
    The subsequent phones where found through friends, the LEMSwap forums and other avenues that at the time of procurement negated any sort of warranty that I could claim.
    The 3GS, granted was old for the time at the re-up of my contract, but as I have found with many in the mac community, (some more friendly than others. I do not have a ready surplus of $500-3000 bones laying around to upgrade.) It was what I could afford at the time that would do what I needed it to do.
    The same reason I know have a (new to me 15" PBG4 1.25. on my desk to finish college stuffs.) I would love to have an iPhone 4, I would love to have a macbook air for college stuffs. But to be honest? To pay for this i5 mac mini? I had to sell damned near my entire collection of collectors pieces and scrimp side-long to get it! I don't regret it. I have loved every mac I have had. More so than any linux pc I have owned..
    I have been a mac head since I had my first Apple//, I still have my SE/FD along with a stock ColorClassic that even to this day is a marvel to me. I meant this post as not a bitch. Not by a long shot. I meant it only as a simple vent in frustration to my plight in technology within the realm of my experience in the "cult" of mac.
    I do not see my antiquated iPhone as a blight, rather, I love the conversations it starts when like minded "pit-heads" see it in use, and marvel, that like most things apple it just still works.
    There was no malaise meant in this post, rather a bit of frustration to the new iterations and the way in which Apple is turning with not only hardware and OS.

That is all.

~Drake