Why I switched my AT&T iPad for a Verizon LTE

lulla01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I checked my coverage map for AT&T and i assumed it was 4G, then i realized its the same HSDPA+ or whatever that my iPhone got. I doubted verizon had LTE near me, i checked and what do you know. MY WHOLE AREA is blanketed in beautiful 4G LTE. That and this is a global iPad regardless of which carrier you choose. Another reason is the Verizon Hotspot. I don't see myself using this all the time but having the option is great. Truth be told I hate both carriers.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I checked my coverage map for AT&T and i assumed it was 4G, then i realized its the same HSDPA+ or whatever that my iPhone got. I doubted verizon had LTE near me, i checked and what do you know. MY WHOLE AREA is blanketed in beautiful 4G LTE. That and this is a global iPad regardless of which carrier you choose. Another reason is the Verizon Hotspot. I don't see myself using this all the time but having the option is great. Truth be told I hate both carriers.
AT&T is still building out their LTE network. Even if your town did not have AT&T LTE, you would still get 3G. I think that AT&T is offering just a little bit better rate, too.

Both will work and if you want LTE NOW, you did good!

lulla01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
The AT&T 4g map is really misleading, I was excited but then i realized their definitions are different. 4G and 4GLTE, are different. I got so used to having to buy AT&T for global i was so nervous to go with Verizon but now i think i made the right choice. I just wish they had like 30.00 unlimited plans.

TB07-NJ

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Notice that nowhere does AT&T publish a map solely on their 4G/LTE coverage like Verizon does. Their map only shows voice and/or "data". :rolleyes: Trying not to advertise how little coverage they have.
Not quite correct.

Go here http://www.att.com/network/ then click on "COVERAGE." You will get a bunch of orange spots which is their LTE coverage. Then click on the orange spots for detailed maps of each area.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't care so much about the coverage in my own city, since at home I'll be using wifi. It matters more when I will travel away from home and don't want to pay the extortionate wifi rates that airport and hotels sometimes charge.

Anyway, I like AT&T because the iPad will back up to a much faster network if LTE isn't available. The Verizon iPad will back up to a much slower 3G.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Not quite correct.

Go here http://www.att.com/network/ then click on "COVERAGE." You will get a bunch of orange spots which is their LTE coverage. Then click on the orange spots for detailed maps of each area.
I do not trust the At&t map. Just like with HSPA+ you get 41mbs on there network. Not even close At&t had there chance to launch lte first they chose not to because they like to sit on spectrum.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
The AT&T 4g map is really misleading, I was excited but then i realized their definitions are different. 4G and 4GLTE, are different. I got so used to having to buy AT&T for global i was so nervous to go with Verizon but now i think i made the right choice. I just wish they had like 30.00 unlimited plans.
What about putting in a 4G sim inside the iPad? I heard that it will still work. Not sure since I haven't tried.

lulla01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
What about putting in a 4G sim inside the iPad? I heard that it will still work. Not sure since I haven't tried.
There are ways you can do that i think by changing your settings or APN's or something. I also heard AT&T was following up on this buy putting people with unlimited iPhone data plans who changed sims on limited plans with hotspot. All in all it is kind of stupid. I want to be able to pay 30-50 dollars and have 5-unlimited data on multiple devices. I want piece of mind.