Why I switched my AT&T iPad for a Verizon LTE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lulla01, Mar 8, 2012.

1. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I checked my coverage map for AT&T and i assumed it was 4G, then i realized its the same HSDPA+ or whatever that my iPhone got. I doubted verizon had LTE near me, i checked and what do you know. MY WHOLE AREA is blanketed in beautiful 4G LTE. That and this is a global iPad regardless of which carrier you choose. Another reason is the Verizon Hotspot. I don't see myself using this all the time but having the option is great. Truth be told I hate both carriers.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

AT&T is still building out their LTE network. Even if your town did not have AT&T LTE, you would still get 3G. I think that AT&T is offering just a little bit better rate, too.

Both will work and if you want LTE NOW, you did good!

3. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Plus Verizon's service includes hotspot tethering at no extra charge (unless you exceed your data plan cap).

4. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

The AT&T 4g map is really misleading, I was excited but then i realized their definitions are different. 4G and 4GLTE, are different. I got so used to having to buy AT&T for global i was so nervous to go with Verizon but now i think i made the right choice. I just wish they had like 30.00 unlimited plans.

5. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Notice that nowhere does AT&T publish a map solely on their 4G/LTE coverage like Verizon does. Their map only shows voice and/or "data". :rolleyes: Trying not to advertise how little coverage they have.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Not quite correct.

Go here http://www.att.com/network/ then click on "COVERAGE." You will get a bunch of orange spots which is their LTE coverage. Then click on the orange spots for detailed maps of each area.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't care so much about the coverage in my own city, since at home I'll be using wifi. It matters more when I will travel away from home and don't want to pay the extortionate wifi rates that airport and hotels sometimes charge.

Anyway, I like AT&T because the iPad will back up to a much faster network if LTE isn't available. The Verizon iPad will back up to a much slower 3G.

8. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I do not trust the At&t map. Just like with HSPA+ you get 41mbs on there network. Not even close At&t had there chance to launch lte first they chose not to because they like to sit on spectrum.

9. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

What about putting in a 4G sim inside the iPad? I heard that it will still work. Not sure since I haven't tried.

10. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

There are ways you can do that i think by changing your settings or APN's or something. I also heard AT&T was following up on this buy putting people with unlimited iPhone data plans who changed sims on limited plans with hotspot. All in all it is kind of stupid. I want to be able to pay 30-50 dollars and have 5-unlimited data on multiple devices. I want piece of mind.