Why I'll Always Stick To An iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleBoyFreak, Jul 13, 2012.

1. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

Due to the presence of more threads about Apple "fanboys" switching to Android I would like to make one highlighting the reasons why I'll always stick to the iPhone. First, Apple's ecosystem. I love how all my music, movies, and apps are all handled by Apple themselves. For instance, on Android they have a different company to buy music from than google and then have a limited supple. Second, the universal acceptance and yearly update cycle. I hate how Android phones end up fading out only 5 months afte they launch and there aren't many cases offered due to how many new ones come out. Third, no matter who you ask iPhone are always a symbol of money and popularity. As shallow as it is as a teen I do care about how I come off and how my phone comes off as. There are probably more reasons, but this is it for me now. Add why you would never leave iPhone.

2. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

I guess some of them might be employed by a company. They post reviews on forums or tech blogs to manipulate public opinion on the internet on a daily basis.

3. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

"Why I'll Always Be Close Minded"

Gotcha.

Nah j/k. Good for you.

4. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

A person can get an iPhone 4 that looks virtually identical to the 4S for $100...that's hardly expensive. On contract, the 4S isn't any more expensive than other high-end smartphones. Considering that the vast majority of people buy phones on contract, it hardly requires "having money" to buy a high-end phone, including an iPhone. Even if you buy off contract, it doesn't make it seem like you have money, because people won't know that you paid full price. That said, having an iPhone may make teenagers that don't know the cost of phones think you have money, but in the real world it doesn't.

5. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Same reasons here too, can't see myself using an android

6. depths macrumors regular

depths

Do people really think the iPhone is a symbol of wealth and social standing?

7. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

In China, it definitely is a symbol of wealth/social standing.

Don't know how it is in U.S.A.

8. depths macrumors regular

depths

Wherever you are in the world, if you look at someone's phone and make assumptions based on what you see you're an idiot.

9. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

10. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

In the US, the last generation of iPhones can be had for $100, and the current gen for $200. This is hardly a substantial investment. In the US, people most definitely will not equate wealth with an iPhone. There are plenty of people that don't have much money, but still have an iPhone. It would be different if all phones costed full price, but with subsidies, people can get expensive phones for relatively cheap costs.

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

Haha, I'm rich cause I have a 2 year old iphone 4. Put me in the next tax bracket Romney.

12. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

LMAO! Really, if that's all it takes then I'm filthy stinking rich since I've had multiple iPhones lol.

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Nothing wrong with starting a thread on why you prefer apple to other platforms and makes but to add balance you could have included any con's you have experienced.

I used Nokia for over 15 years and grew tired of the numerous releases and their not too recent history of abandoning platforms. I remember getting the n900 and maemo and meego for them to drop it like a brick. Provided a phone that was truly open to software but didn't support it by being clear to buyers that they needed to be careful. My opinion is that it was a bad idea to release that particular handset to the general public, anyway i digress :D

I chose apple due to the quality of their iOS, quality bulild of devices and their top levels of support and guarantee. I know some don't like iTunes and the way apple sandbox their stuff, but as a jail breaker we all know this can be amended.

In the Uk more and more people are moving to apple iPhones.
    Like you state it seems 'cool' to have an iPhone.

Not too long ago it seemed like every teenager wanted a blackberry but that trend is not changing.

The beauty of this is ones choice !

14. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean yes in a way I come off as very close minded, but with everything I have invested in iTunes and it's ease of use nothing can really beat it. My sister has an Inspire 4G and has no music on it due to the simple reason that she reds another account and everything.

Like I said, this is teenager views. As a teen in my area if you don't have an iPhone it's either because you're a weird kid or are poor. It is literally a symbol of who not to hang out with. And all my friends that don't have iPhone are always on mine and asking for an iPhone. Infact I was able to persuade my friend to get an iPhone just from letting her play around with it. She's coming from an Evo 4G.

15. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

What a terrible place to grow up.

16. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Its all just teen stuff and everyone around here is trying to keep up with the joneses or however that goes

17. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Some day you will come to realize that "being like the rest" does not equate to being cool. And if you think an iphone does equate to wealth, then you don't know what wealthy is.

Learn to think for yourself. Be original.

18. AlexJaye macrumors regular

iPhone as a status symbol??!!

Hahaha, that's the dumbest thing! I would not hang out with anyone, nor would I wish to, who wouldn't hang out with someone simply because they don't have the same phone that I do. I'd exchange my iPhone 4 for an Android phone just to find out who my true friends were!

19. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

When everyone has one, I doubt it's something that reflects social status...

20. RocketRed, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

RocketRed macrumors 6502a

a few months ago, a teenager in China sold his kidney to the black market to buy an iPhone and iPad. It was a pretty big deal for Chinese media, as it showed how materialistic chinese youth have become.

source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article3288363.ece

Also, people in China actually put "sent from my iPhone" as their signature even if they're not using an iPhone or iPad.

source: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...t-from-my-iphone-messages-latest-fad-in-china

In Hong Kong and Beijing, whenever the new iPhone or iPad is released... more than half the people lining up aren't customers. They're scalpers who get paid to wait in line, pass the iPhone/iPad to the reseller so he makes a huge profit.

source: http://www.newsfactor.com/news/iPho...ts-in-China/story.xhtml?story_id=003000092RCI

The iPhone/iPad has definitely made it's mark on China. Social Status is a huge thing in Chinese culture. Parents want to know how much their potential son-in-law is making a month before "giving" their daughter away. As much as I hate to say this, people in Hong Kong (where I live) do judge you from what you wear, what car you drive and what phone you use.

Note: I do not mean to generalize the entire Chinese population of being materialistic. I know many Hong Kongers and Mainland Chinese who don't buy into the whole social status culture mentality.

21. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I feel when the first iPhone or even 3G version came out, it was still a status symbol to some people. Now though, as the amount of buyers increases, it's more common to see an iPhone than most other phones....every Tom, Dick and Harry has one!

22. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Agreed. In time whenever something new comes out, what was once considered "important" fades away.

Anybody remember the Motorola RAZR V3? :rolleyes: (Although I'll admit, I still think it looks cool... I'm a sucker for flip phones).

A REAL social status symbol phone would be Vertu phones, or the BlackBerry Porsche phone that I've actually seen 1 person in my university own (unless it was a fake).

23. tekno macrumors 6502a

Have you got any official sources for this? In my experience the opposite is true and a number of my friends are moving away from iphone to android and Nokia.

24. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I don't care about "popularity" or "status symbol", I use an iPhone because in my opinion it is the best smart phone. ANd I have used all the major platforms for an extended time. I carry two phones and in the past two years other than an iPhone Ive also used a Palm Pre, HTC Inspire, Motorola Atrix, HTC Surround, Samsung Focus, Dell Venue Pro, Nexus S, Palm Pre 3, Blackberry Torch, and currently an HTC One X.

All the platforms have their faults, including the iPhone, but when I use my iPhone it just feels right, everything works the way its supposed and automatically, I don't have to think about how to do something or if the phone will fail, it just works.

With android it has a ton of features, both software and hardware, but I can't rely on it. Apps crash, apps aren't compatible, bluetooth hangups, wifi hang ups, screen unlocking in my pocket, and Ive even gotten malware (random shortcuts added to my home screen promoting "free apps!" and notifications telling me about apps on sale!).

Windows Phone is fast and smooth like the iPhone, but if you think the iPhone home screen is boring, windows home is on another level of boredom. Its also lacking in features and ecosystem.

I really liked webOS, but it was always on under powered hardware and full of bugs, and now its dead. I plan on getting a Blackberry 10 device when it comes out to see how that stacks up, but I don't see myself not carring an iPhone for one of lines anytime soon.

25. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I use an iPhone because I really like apples. Other than bananas they're the only fruit I'll eat.