Why I'm switching to PC after 17 years of being on a Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loft3, Dec 3, 2016.

1. loft3 macrumors regular

Yep–it's because of the latest MBP.

A 15-inch laptop has alway fit my workflow. I never needed the power of a MBP, but I did need the screen size. Previously, the MBP had the thinnest body of any 15-inch laptop on the market and also was an all-around good laptop even for the premium price. It made it an attractive buy.

But now Apple's only 15-inch notebook is so overpriced for what you get with it (and that's not including dongles) I can no longer justify the price. Even without the TouchBar the laptop is 2 grand–and that's with only 256GB of storage.

Now if I want an affordable 15-inch laptop that is thin, beautiful and uses the latest component technologies there are plenty of PC laptops that fit the build for half the cost (even three years ago this wasn't true). It's funny, I'd stick with Apple if they had even a 15-inch MacBook for a good price (because, again, I don't need the power of a Pro), but they think only video and photography pros are the ones who want a 15-inch screen so their MacBook line gets relegated to the smallest screen size.

Sigh.

Apple, I loved you and your products. I really did. For years you were awesome. But now you just aren't making the products that people want anymore and charging way too much for the products you are making.

See ya.

2. Nik macrumors 6502a

Its not only about the price. We see numerous issues with those devices:
    Me personally, my fingers hurt after using the Keyboard for more than an hour. Becuase of the keytravel of 0.55mm. I am 27 years old and did not have any of those issues. With the new MacBook Pro, i do. I do not hit the keyboard hard by the way.

Second, the batterylife sucks. I will not go into that topic further, but I get 6-7 hours on light web browsing (and yes, I know how to disable plugins etc, its a fresh install).
    When using it in Lightroom I get 3-4 hours, down from 5-7 on my old MBP.

Third, it's CPU is slower than the old one. Yes, it acutally is! They cut down the power target from 45 Watts to 35 Watts and get less performance. See the following review:

I am returning my new machine which cost about 3,600 bucks. When my old one fails, I dont know what to do; I will most certainly not get a worse machine for more money.

I mean, look at how long we are active in this Forum, its around 10 years! And we are saying this right now about Apple. That is grounbreaking IMO. We are no random people who just happened to join this forum to complain.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

Cool story Bro. I guess you forgot about the old days when the 15" MacBook Pros cost over $2K.

[​IMG]

4. runner77, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

runner77 macrumors member

You spoke the whole post about your view and then in the last phrase you switch to "people". It's your situation. Apple still sells tons of devices to people. There is a huge market for their offers. And it is true, for your described situation, they don't have an offer. Before they did sell a 15" without dgpu and now even the base model has one, that is why you pay more, besides the touch bar and the faster SSD and bigger trackpad and a better screen and the additional touch ID sensor they put into it (yes, I think the price is reasonable. Apple also offers better service than the competition and better build quality, nicer design, an intertwined eco system and last but not least MacOS). That increases the value for many customers, but as it seems not for you.

You probably will be better off with a Windows machine. If you will be better off with Windows as a system, I wish you the flexibility very much.

5. motime macrumors 6502

Too bad Apple is probably still making a killing because a lot of people who were holding out for the new models are now buying the older ones at the same price as last year...

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Uh, Apple has never made an affordable 15" model.

It's true, there are lots of PC options out there, many of them much better than they were just a few years ago. The reality is that they all have their own tradeoffs as well, some small, some significant. I'm the IT purchaser for the company I work at so I've looked at most all of them.

7. motime macrumors 6502

No one was expecting Apple to drop prices. It is just the hike was a lot more than people expected.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

In large part because the old version was so mature that Apple had already dropped prices, and was offering a version without discrete graphics. How many of you complaining about the price would have chosen that model?

9. neil218 macrumors newbie

I think you'll miss Apple's costumer support, MBP's thermal management and trackpad.

10. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I would. I want the option on 15" without TB, and without dGPU. I don't game, and don't really need better graphics from Iris. And I found TB to be nothing else then a gimmick. To me at least, and if you or anyone else finds it useful - great for you.

But I want an option to purchase 15" without tb and dGPU. Like we had it before the new gen :)

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I think the 13" prices are $100-$200 too high and the 15" prices around $300+ too high.
    However, I think other than the price issue, the new machines are excellent. Performance is competitive with the previous models given what Intel has to offer. The display is beautiful and, personally, I think the new keyboard is great.

I don't have any dongle/adapter issues - replaced a couple of USB cables to USB-C versions, bought a new USB flash drive for my pocket and bought a new USB-C to VGA dongle for the conference room projectors at work (which I had to carry anyway with nearly every single Apple laptop I've ever had).

While I don't disagree some people have been having some battery issues, particularly on the touchbar 13" models, mine has performed as advertised (no, I should not expect 10 hrs of use doing a 4K edit on Final Cut Pro).

12. aevan, Dec 3, 2016

aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Seriously, if you don't really care about maxed out performance and want a 15", why not get the last year's model? They still cost the same. And they cost the same for a while. If you were a Mac person for 17 years, then I'm sure the price of the previous model is ok, considering it didn't change.

Edit: I think I just answered my own question two posts below :)

13. nStyle macrumors 65816

What an asinine post. You're basically saying that because Apple released a new MBP (which you admit that you don't even need) that you can't afford, your old hardware has been rendered useless and therefore you must sell what you have to change over the PC world.

That literally makes zero sense. Also, news flash: if you want to stick with Apple, don't need the performance of the newer machines, and want to save money, there's always a refurbished 2015 15".

14. aevan, Dec 3, 2016

aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Without wanting to insult anyone, I think it comes down to the fact that people just want a new toy. Something new and exciting. And in this case, that new and exciting is too expensive. It has nothing to do with specs and real needs, it's just the fact that the current "nicest one" is too expensive.

So, you can either get the previous one - but that's just not the nicest, most fun version. Or you can just abandon the whole lineup and switch to something completely new, convincing yourself it's actually a better choice. Fine! If you can't give me the latest, sexiest model for the price I want, I'll just switch to the latest and greatest Dell and believe it's better anyway.

It makes no sense logically, but it makes a lot of sense psychologically.

Also - I'm not saying Dell isn't actually better for some people. But if you're a Mac user for 17 years, this is the only explanation why you'd switch at this point and give this reason.

15. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

" I'm switching to PC after 17 years of being on a Mac"
    I switched to Mac last year after decades on Windows computers, and IMHO Mac's are the best, so all I can say is:
    Bye! :)

16. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Was looking at Dell 15" XPS seeing multiple places $200 off for $2k that the equivalent MBP as $3k. With a lot faster dgpu. Wait a short time and it will likely be updated to 10xx nvidia dgpu that will widen the gap a lot more. Even weights a bit less.

Fifty% difference in price with less performance is a big ask.

17. Hyloba macrumors 6502

I'm switching to mac after 20 years of windows. You don't see me making a post about this on windows forums. Maybe I should?

No, I shouldn't, it doesn't make any sense and no one cares.

18. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Isn't the GPU on Dell 15" GeForce 960M? In that case it's not a lot faster, it's in fact slower than Radeon Pro 460. Next year it will probably come with 1050M or 1060M (it will be quite faster with the latter one).

Anyway, when you buy a MBP you're not paying that difference for performance. You don't have to value what you are paying, but you're not paying for better specs, you're paying for premium features. Again, nothing wrong if you don't think that's a reason to buy Macs, but GPU performance was never a reason to buy them.

19. TiT38 macrumors member

TiT38

It is still on sale. The price is 1999

If you want the extra "gimmick" and new form factor, the price is 2400

You have the choice

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No need to be so melodramatic.

And what is the fascination with announcing to the forum, that one is leaving Mac or Windows? In reality, no one really cares whether you stay with Mac, Windows, or use both.

21. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I can only observe that if Apple are misjudging their market then it's working out very well for them. Tim Cook isn't running an Apple fan club but a premium brand, so why would he be concerned about the folks who can't pay the entry fee? I can't afford a Bentley but they ain't gonna make a cheaper one. Never mind, I like my Suzuki.

22. kis macrumors 65816

Apple does - or at least should.

23. Branskins macrumors 65816

24. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I was speaking of this forum. So many people here seem to love climbing up on the technology cross and giving a closing act soliloquy.

25. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

For tens of thousands, not for individuals. This new MacBook Pro sells great.