Why IM TRULY DONE with Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyone

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
London, UK
In the late 90's as a young music producer and graphics designer (yea pretty much a hermit), I could never afford Apple products and was subject to everything "PC". I used to use Logic Audio to make music (owned by Emagic at the time) and Photoshop for graphics. However, I gradually had developed a hatred for all things Microsoft due to the constant virus issues, the blue screens of death, the incompatible hardware issues, the unstable applications and the list just goes on but I absolutely despised the whole ecosystem. To add fuel to my fire, Apple had acquired Emagic and Logic was no longer available on the PC and I was forced to use Cubase to continue with my work. Once I started to make a little bit of money my first investment was a shiny new Macbook pro which came with Snow Leopard. It was really stable and worked like a charm for years. Although I was unable to get all the software I was used to on windows, it was a worthy trade-off due to the lack of disruptions I faced in comparison the PC world. I was in Utopia!

Around 2011/2012 I bought my first iPhone and although Apple had already launched the iTunes service that was taking over I was a bit confused as to why it was so difficult to get a song I had created, onto my phone. (This was something I did regularly with my blackberry at the time by simply copying the song to a memory card). But ok, its different, Apple wanted me to do this through iTunes by "syncing" my whole phone. But I still found it weird that when one of my fellow music friends wanted to send me a song through email, before I could have it in a playlist with the rest of my songs, I had to download it to my mac, add it to iTunes and then sync it to my phone (This doesn't sound like much of an issue but when you are on the go and constantly receive music in your inbox it becomes a real pain searching through your inbox to play a song - not to mention the poor email search on the iPhone). But this was still worth putting up with, because Apple was great, my iPhone was gonna keep looking fresh and Steve jobs was the man! So earning even more money by this time I bought iPads and iPhones for my family as it was simple and straight forwards and we could all use Facetime!

Meanwhile, Apple had destroyed the music industry and literally halved the prospect fortunes of any artist by making iTunes the de facto for getting music. Why? Because artists make a whole lot less from iTunes downloads than they would have from hard copies. But so what, the world was going that way and I had to evolve.

Thousands of pounds later we fast forward to the end of 2013 where I had decided my Macbook Pro was due for an upgrade and I wanted the best laptop ever! I had the cash and went online and spec'd up the beefiest Macbook Pro possible. 16gb of RAM, 2.7 GHz intel i7 and a 1TB flash drive which set me back over £4000 including the Apple care. My girfriend was outraged and could now understand why I didn't have the cash to go on a pair of Gucci shoes because this was more than the price of my car but being a creative professional, this was essential if I was to continue producing quality content hassle free. This is where it all went downhill and the saga begins...

Not long before I got my beast of a MBP, I decided that it was now time to stop using software illegally and went to buy the full version of Cubase. I still had the older Macbook pro at the time and the new version of Cubase (which required a dongle) was only compatible with newer versions of OSX so I had to wait for my new Macbook Pro to come (which would have Mavericks installed) before I could even tough Cubase. I was also aware that disappointingly the new Macbook Pro only came with two USB ports. I wasn't happy about that as I had a USB keyboard/piano, external audio interfaces, external USB hard drives and all sorts of other USB sound modules. But that’s ok, I went to go and buy the best powered USB hub I could find, but I didn't test it!!!

So my monster of a Macbook Pro arrives and I’m gassed up like UFC fighter on steroids. I set it up how I like it, plug in my USB hub and all my other devices. No devices are working!! What? Well this isn't Apples fault or is it? There was not a USB hub in the land that would energise my power hungry USB devices, but these worked on the old laptop with no hub? I went through 4 USB hubs until I gave in. The answer? Thunderbolt! But wait, I have no thunderbolt devices? I was forced to then buy the Belkin thunderbolt hub for £250 just so I could get some extra USB ports with sufficient power. The object of having a super thin laptop was now defeated by having haul this bulky thunderbolt hub around with me. Surely now everything must be ok. But wait, Cubase wouldn't work with Mavericks!!!! I couldn't get any audio no matter what interface I tried, even using the built in audio device! Surely Cubase had been through the beta stage with Apple? But it was correct, users were crying on the Steinberg forums with complaints of incompatibility with Mavericks. I had no choice but to wait 3 months for the update!

Getting used to Mavericks I started taking my laptop into work frequently, but got caught out during presentations as I couldn't get the mac to stop going to sleep without connecting it to a power source, the only way was to manually set my mac never to go to sleep, which was a battery drainer as I always forgot to switch it back! To add to that, it would not maintain a network connection when it switched off the screen. Since my work required me to constantly be connected to servers, this was a real pain as I had to reconnect to everything every time this laptop went to sleep. I’m sure this used to work with my old laptop? This was a standard option in the previous version of OSX, why had Apple removed the ability keep the network alive when the laptop went to sleep (i.e., just turn off the display). Hours with Apple care on the phone and they came to the conclusion that this was by design and there was nothing I could do. So I put up with it.

As the years went by I continued to be a sucker and kept buying newer versions of iPhones and iPads and even bought an Apple watch for a family member. With the demands software were putting on my system I soon realised the need for a lot more RAM. I have single instruments that I load up that will take 8gb of ram for them self (Just have a look at Native Instruments Komplete as an example) which pretty much converts your system into a prehistoric piece of equipment that moves like 90s PC. Now 3 years in I had now become and official Apple muglin! I had also become aware of the OS release cycle and became reluctant to upgrade my OS simply because every update seemed to bring in more and more issues, had more restrictions and just disrupted my work and creative processes. To top it off, I noticed apple didn't really listen to the customers that made them popular in the first place (The power users! The creative professionals!)Apple was becoming more and more of a problem for me and it was clear from the amount of point releases after major updates that they were no longer as good with their quality control as they had been in the past. So I stopped upgrading! I wanted stability, not new gimmicky features. They were clearly the new Microsoft!

Alongside all of this, the exploding mac power supplies, the planned obsolescence with iPhones that seem to get slower for no good reason and the countless iPad issues, the Apple TV that offered me nothing useful apart from airplay that needed to be reset every day, the constant need to buy poor quality cables that stop working in months. I had encountered enough to make me forget about this company and jump ship but I was so stubborn. So as software doesn't do anything apart from consume more hardware resources in each new release, 2016 and its time for a new Macbook again. I was in desperate need of more RAM. Yes! Apple is releasing a new Macbook pro at the end of the year. But wait? What? It still only comes with 16gb of RAM and costs more? And has even less ports? And has dropped the use of Thunderbolt 1? Huh? You mean all that money I spent on your pathetic thunderbolt devices is now useless if I upgrade? I will have to buy it again? Damn, but wait, a Microsoft surface comes with 32gb of RAM and its way cheaper. Oh so they announced they couldn't get 32gb of RAM in because they didn't want to compromise on battery life! Isn't that because you wanted to make your "Pro" laptop thinner? And add a gimmicky touch bar? I’m sorry but as a creative professional I couldn't give 2 hoots about how many millimetres you could shave off the thickness of the laptop when I can't get the "Pro" hardware you claim to deliver at your "Pro" price. Do you think I give a damn about a touch bar with emoji’s on it when I need to do serious work? NO! Pro users care about, processor speed, disk space, RAM and Graphics. Not gimmicks! Not only that, the OS (now MacOS) now has just as many useless gimmicks as the iPhone and I still can't just copy a track into my phone without the use of a blasted cloud storage service or a full iPhone sync! Not to mention that pathetic excuse for a cloud backup solution called iCloud! Sure this was built for professionals.

The point is when companies end up like this they need to do something radical and stop palming off pathetic excuses to consumers like the government. The alternative is to end up with customers like me who will now feel bitter for contributing to their success and go out their way to discredit the same company they once endorsed. Apple is lucky they have duped enough people to have a ******** of cash where it doesn't matter if they no longer listen to customers as they have enough lifelines to withstand pretty much anything with that amount of capital. But every dog has his day and usually happens when they piss off the customers or don't listen to them. It happened to Sony, it happened to Blackberry, what makes Apple think it can't happen to them? I don't care that Tim cook is a boring ass character that doesn't have an ounce of creativity, but I do care that he seems to think that a Macbook Pro is just another portable device, when really if you understood the perspective of people like me, it’s actually used as a portable desktop computer, therefore keep your iOS features on iOS. I don't want to talk to my laptop through Siri, thats why it has a blasted keyboard on it. This point is clear from the number of articles around the web explaining how Apple as put MacOS on the back burner and all its so-called new great features are actually just ports from iOS.

So what’s my plan? I don't have one, hence my rant. I am in deadlock. Purchased too much Apple hardware/software to get away from them easily. However, when the iPhone 7 came out I knew Apple were seriously taking the world for a ride; palming off that "less is more" crap. Man I just bought a Samsung s8 and it blows the socks off of any iPhone in sight. It's fast, water resistant and very customisable. There’s nothing I can do on there that I couldn't on my iPhone. Facetime? psshh Whatsapp has video calling now, iMessage? Whatsapp has a web version now I don't need iMessage. Apple pay? Android pay oh and email search actually works. iTunes? Who cares Spotify is just as good if not better. Siri? "OK Google" and if you want real gimmicks I can unlock my phone just by looking at it! I wanted to watch some videos from my laptop on the train, you know what I did? Copied them onto my memory card and put it in my phone then left the house! It took 5 minutes for 6 gigs worth of video and it just worked! Oh yea, that used to be Apples punchline! The saddest thing about this is, when Apple does eventually release that 32gb Macbook pro, I will probably buy it because I feel I have no choice unless I want to take the gamble of going back to the Microsoft ecosystem. Apple has forgotten about the people that really believed in their products and decided to focus a totally different market leaving people like me scrambling for better solutions. If you are a complete airhead with money, then yes, go buy their stuff. If you're serious about your work? Buy a late 2015 Macbook pro (the best ever made) or get a surface pro, or just simply wait. Rant over!

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
In the late 90's as a young music producer and graphics designer (yea pretty much a hermit), I could never afford Apple products and was subject to everything "PC". I used to use Logic Audio to make music (owned by Emagic at the time) and Photoshop for graphics. However, I gradually had developed a hatred for all things Microsoft due to the constant virus issues, the blue screens of death, the incompatible hardware issues, the unstable applications and the list just goes on but I absolutely despised the whole ecosystem. To add fuel to my fire, Apple had acquired Emagic and Logic was no longer available on the PC and I was forced to use Cubase to continue with my work. Once I started to make a little bit of money my first investment was a shiny new Macbook pro which came with Snow Leopard. It was really stable and worked like a charm for years. Although I was unable to get all the software I was used to on windows, it was a worthy trade-off due to the lack of disruptions I faced in comparison the PC world. I was in Utopia!

Around 2011/2012 I bought my first iPhone and although Apple had already launched the iTunes service that was taking over I was a bit confused as to why it was so difficult to get a song I had created, onto my phone. (This was something I did regularly with my blackberry at the time by simply copying the song to a memory card). But ok, its different, Apple wanted me to do this through iTunes by "syncing" my whole phone. But I still found it weird that when one of my fellow music friends wanted to send me a song through email, before I could have it in a playlist with the rest of my songs, I had to download it to my mac, add it to iTunes and then sync it to my phone (This doesn't sound like much of an issue but when you are on the go and constantly receive music in your inbox it becomes a real pain searching through your inbox to play a song - not to mention the poor email search on the iPhone). But this was still worth putting up with, because Apple was great, my iPhone was gonna keep looking fresh and Steve jobs was the man! So earning even more money by this time I bought iPads and iPhones for my family as it was simple and straight forwards and we could all use Facetime!

Meanwhile, Apple had destroyed the music industry and literally halved the prospect fortunes of any artist by making iTunes the de facto for getting music. Why? Because artists make a whole lot less from iTunes downloads than they would have from hard copies. But so what, the world was going that way and I had to evolve.

Thousands of pounds later we fast forward to the end of 2013 where I had decided my Macbook Pro was due for an upgrade and I wanted the best laptop ever! I had the cash and went online and spec'd up the beefiest Macbook Pro possible. 16gb of RAM, 2.7 GHz intel i7 and a 1TB flash drive which set me back over £4000 including the Apple care. My girfriend was outraged and could now understand why I didn't have the cash to go on a pair of Gucci shoes because this was more than the price of my car but being a creative professional, this was essential if I was to continue producing quality content hassle free. This is where it all went downhill and the saga begins...

Not long before I got my beast of a MBP, I decided that it was now time to stop using software illegally and went to buy the full version of Cubase. I still had the older Macbook pro at the time and the new version of Cubase (which required a dongle) was only compatible with newer versions of OSX so I had to wait for my new Macbook Pro to come (which would have Mavericks installed) before I could even tough Cubase. I was also aware that disappointingly the new Macbook Pro only came with two USB ports. I wasn't happy about that as I had a USB keyboard/piano, external audio interfaces, external USB hard drives and all sorts of other USB sound modules. But that’s ok, I went to go and buy the best powered USB hub I could find, but I didn't test it!!!

So my monster of a Macbook Pro arrives and I’m gassed up like UFC fighter on steroids. I set it up how I like it, plug in my USB hub and all my other devices. No devices are working!! What? Well this isn't Apples fault or is it? There was not a USB hub in the land that would energise my power hungry USB devices, but these worked on the old laptop with no hub? I went through 4 USB hubs until I gave in. The answer? Thunderbolt! But wait, I have no thunderbolt devices? I was forced to then buy the Belkin thunderbolt hub for £250 just so I could get some extra USB ports with sufficient power. The object of having a super thin laptop was now defeated by having haul this bulky thunderbolt hub around with me. Surely now everything must be ok. But wait, Cubase wouldn't work with Mavericks!!!! I couldn't get any audio no matter what interface I tried, even using the built in audio device! Surely Cubase had been through the beta stage with Apple? But it was correct, users were crying on the Steinberg forums with complaints of incompatibility with Mavericks. I had no choice but to wait 3 months for the update!

Getting used to Mavericks I started taking my laptop into work frequently, but got caught out during presentations as I couldn't get the mac to stop going to sleep without connecting it to a power source, the only way was to manually set my mac never to go to sleep, which was a battery drainer as I always forgot to switch it back! To add to that, it would not maintain a network connection when it switched off the screen. Since my work required me to constantly be connected to servers, this was a real pain as I had to reconnect to everything every time this laptop went to sleep. I’m sure this used to work with my old laptop? This was a standard option in the previous version of OSX, why had Apple removed the ability keep the network alive when the laptop went to sleep (i.e., just turn off the display). Hours with Apple care on the phone and they came to the conclusion that this was by design and there was nothing I could do. So I put up with it.

As the years went by I continued to be a sucker and kept buying newer versions of iPhones and iPads and even bought an Apple watch for a family member. With the demands software were putting on my system I soon realised the need for a lot more RAM. I have single instruments that I load up that will take 8gb of ram for them self (Just have a look at Native Instruments Komplete as an example) which pretty much converts your system into a prehistoric piece of equipment that moves like 90s PC. Now 3 years in I had now become and official Apple muglin! I had also become aware of the OS release cycle and became reluctant to upgrade my OS simply because every update seemed to bring in more and more issues, had more restrictions and just disrupted my work and creative processes. To top it off, I noticed apple didn't really listen to the customers that made them popular in the first place (The power users! The creative professionals!)Apple was becoming more and more of a problem for me and it was clear from the amount of point releases after major updates that they were no longer as good with their quality control as they had been in the past. So I stopped upgrading! I wanted stability, not new gimmicky features. They were clearly the new Microsoft!

Alongside all of this, the exploding mac power supplies, the planned obsolescence with iPhones that seem to get slower for no good reason and the countless iPad issues, the Apple TV that offered me nothing useful apart from airplay that needed to be reset every day, the constant need to buy poor quality cables that stop working in months. I had encountered enough to make me forget about this company and jump ship but I was so stubborn. So as software doesn't do anything apart from consume more hardware resources in each new release, 2016 and its time for a new Macbook again. I was in desperate need of more RAM. Yes! Apple is releasing a new Macbook pro at the end of the year. But wait? What? It still only comes with 16gb of RAM and costs more? And has even less ports? And has dropped the use of Thunderbolt 1? Huh? You mean all that money I spent on your pathetic thunderbolt devices is now useless if I upgrade? I will have to buy it again? Damn, but wait, a Microsoft surface comes with 32gb of RAM and its way cheaper. Oh so they announced they couldn't get 32gb of RAM in because they didn't want to compromise on battery life! Isn't that because you wanted to make your "Pro" laptop thinner? And add a gimmicky touch bar? I’m sorry but as a creative professional I couldn't give 2 hoots about how many millimetres you could shave off the thickness of the laptop when I can't get the "Pro" hardware you claim to deliver at your "Pro" price. Do you think I give a damn about a touch bar with emoji’s on it when I need to do serious work? NO! Pro users care about, processor speed, disk space, RAM and Graphics. Not gimmicks! Not only that, the OS (now MacOS) now has just as many useless gimmicks as the iPhone and I still can't just copy a track into my phone without the use of a blasted cloud storage service or a full iPhone sync! Not to mention that pathetic excuse for a cloud backup solution called iCloud! Sure this was built for professionals.

The point is when companies end up like this they need to do something radical and stop palming off pathetic excuses to consumers like the government. The alternative is to end up with customers like me who will now feel bitter for contributing to their success and go out their way to discredit the same company they once endorsed. Apple is lucky they have duped enough people to have a ******** of cash where it doesn't matter if they no longer listen to customers as they have enough lifelines to withstand pretty much anything with that amount of capital. But every dog has his day and usually happens when they piss off the customers or don't listen to them. It happened to Sony, it happened to Blackberry, what makes Apple think it can't happen to them? I don't care that Tim cook is a boring ass character that doesn't have an ounce of creativity, but I do care that he seems to think that a Macbook Pro is just another portable device, when really if you understood the perspective of people like me, it’s actually used as a portable desktop computer, therefore keep your iOS features on iOS. I don't want to talk to my laptop through Siri, thats why it has a blasted keyboard on it. This point is clear from the number of articles around the web explaining how Apple as put MacOS on the back burner and all its so-called new great features are actually just ports from iOS.

So what’s my plan? I don't have one, hence my rant. I am in deadlock. Purchased too much Apple hardware/software to get away from them easily. However, when the iPhone 7 came out I knew Apple were seriously taking the world for a ride; palming off that "less is more" crap. Man I just bought a Samsung s8 and it blows the socks off of any iPhone in sight. It's fast, water resistant and very customisable. There’s nothing I can do on there that I couldn't on my iPhone. Facetime? psshh Whatsapp has video calling now, iMessage? Whatsapp has a web version now I don't need iMessage. Apple pay? Android pay oh and email search actually works. iTunes? Who cares Spotify is just as good if not better. Siri? "OK Google" and if you want real gimmicks I can unlock my phone just by looking at it! I wanted to watch some videos from my laptop on the train, you know what I did? Copied them onto my memory card and put it in my phone then left the house! It took 5 minutes for 6 gigs worth of video and it just worked! Oh yea, that used to be Apples punchline! The saddest thing about this is, when Apple does eventually release that 32gb Macbook pro, I will probably buy it because I feel I have no choice unless I want to take the gamble of going back to the Microsoft ecosystem. Apple has forgotten about the people that really believed in their products and decided to focus a totally different market leaving people like me scrambling for better solutions. If you are a complete airhead with money, then yes, go buy their stuff. If you're serious about your work? Buy a late 2015 Macbook pro (the best ever made) or get a surface pro, or just simply wait. Rant over!
Your rant was interesting until you deemed those buying the new MBPs as 'airheads'. For that I'll say - learn the art of brevity and understand the principle that personal experiences will vary.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I actually skimmed it all, but you seem to be forgetting that when Apple “destroyed” the music industry, they actually saved it. When iTunes became prolific, file-sharing was at its height, and most folks weren’t purchasing music at all. Apple made it easier to pay for music than to steal it.

Then you were angry at Apple in 2013 because you didn’t do your own research on software requirements and ports on your £4,000 laptop?

Oh, so you buy into “planned obsolescence”? That explains a lot.

The rest is just ranting.

Reactions: jbachandouris

phillyone

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
London, UK
Your rant was interesting until you deemed those buying the new MBPs as 'airheads'. For that I'll say - learn the art of brevity and understand the principle that personal experiences will vary.
I agree personal experiences will definitely vary but when I say if your an airhead with money, I mean, if you really have no clue about computers and want something really good, then buy the new MBP. I appreciate that not everyone will see things as I do and that is the beauty of an opinion.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I admittedly didn’t read it all, but you seem to be forgetting that when Apple “destroyed” the music industry, they actually saved it. When iTunes became prolific, file-sharing was at its height, and most folks weren’t purchasing music at all. Apple made it easier to pay for music than to steal it.

Then you were angry at Apple in 2013 because you didn’t do your own research on software requirements and ports on your £4,000 laptop?
Back in the day I though Napster was destroying the music industry with illegal downloads. Then when flat rate unlimited music arrived it gave people like me an opportunity to get the music legally, which saved the day.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I agree personal experiences will definitely vary but when I say if your an airhead with money, I mean, if you really have no clue about computers and want something really good, then buy the new MBP. I appreciate that not everyone will see things as I do and that is the beauty of an opinion.
I don't think calling Mac users "airheads" on a Apple based forum is the way to go...

phillyone

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
London, UK
Back in the day I though Napster was destroying the music industry with illegal downloads. Then when flat rate unlimited music arrived it gave people like me an opportunity to get the music legally, which saved the day.
That's true, but your knowledge is based off hearsay. I noticed the sales of our music drop dramatically when we iTunes became big. Napster had an effect but things were still selling at that point. Apple put the nail in the coffin. We make roughly around the same amount of sales now, but the money from those sales is a lot less.

rutrack

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
I'm not sure if you expect anyone to reply to this, or even read it, but I think it might be a good idea for you to just step back and chill down a little. I'm sure you don't think that, but you sound a little too obsessive with Apple. I don't think Apple has ever listened to their customers, this is their market strategy and so far it seems to work really well ... at least in this second reincarnation of the company. I don't like their new product as much as you do, but who really cares, just don't buy it, you have tons of options.
- Your laptop is still a great and amazing machine, that can do all you need
- If you have problems running software with 16Gb of ram, it's not a hardware problem, it's a poor quality software problem. No mobile hardware will solve it for you. There are very few cases where you need a lot of RAM and for those you can just get a very cheap desktop.
- Apple is just a laptop and a phone company despite what they have you believe, they just do what they do amazingly well, but don't let them ruin a single day of your life, do your best with what you have.

- Back in the days people used Cubase with Commodores and Amiga and still created great music
- Nasa sent a men to the moon with all of their computing power being less than a dodgy touch bar in the macbook

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
That's true, but your knowledge is based off hearsay. I noticed the sales of our music drop dramatically when we iTunes became big. Napster had an effect but things were still selling at that point. Apple put the nail in the coffin. We make roughly around the same amount of sales now, but the money from those sales is a lot less.
Well I think sales are a lot less because a lot of music that comes out today only has a few good tracks and people just don't buy entire albums just for the sake of it.

phillyone

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
London, UK
I'm not sure if you expect anyone to reply to this, or even read it, but I think it might be a good idea for you to just step back and chill down a little. I'm sure you don't think that, but you sound a little too obsessive with Apple. I don't think Apple has ever listened to their customers, this is their market strategy and so far it seems to work really well ... at least in this second reincarnation of the company. I don't like their new product as much as you do, but who really cares, just don't buy it, you have tons of options.
- Your laptop is still a great and amazing machine, that can do all you need
- If you have problems running software with 16Gb of ram, it's not a hardware problem, it's a poor quality software problem. No mobile hardware will solve it for you. There are very few cases where you need a lot of RAM and for those you can just get a very cheap desktop.
- Apple is just a laptop and a phone company despite what they have you believe, they just do what they do amazingly well, but don't let them ruin a single day of your life, do your best with what you have.

- Back in the days people used Cubase with Commodores and Amiga and still created great music
- Nasa sent a men to the moon with all of their computing power being less than a dodgy touch bar in the macbook
I am fully aware that my mac is just a "tool" and that's all it is, hey we could get rid of all of that and go 8-track with a band but it doesn't change the fact that once you buy certain pieces of software that you get used to, your hardware needs to keep up and when the vendors sell it to you on the basis that it will perform on the recommended hardware, you believe them. Apple macs are the choice of the creative professional, and in 2017, almost every producer/dj uses a laptop because music is on the go now days. Apple put processors powerful enough in these systems and the software vendors demonstrate it on these systems. So I'm not working outside of convention, yes there are bigger powerful machines that can handle the job better however, my point is, other vendors are doing it and Apple USED to.
[doublepost=1501078822][/doublepost]
Well I think sales are a lot less because a lot of music that comes out today only has a few good tracks and people just don't buy entire albums just for the sake of it.
Again your proving me correct. A single 20 years ago would cost you £5.99 from HMV, nowadays the same single is 79p in which we get a cut of 49p. The math is obvious. Like i said the volume of sales is roughly the same but the return isn't.

Adam Henry

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Couple of things. Windows is a robust stable platform. The world runs on windows. That being said Mac OS is also a robust stable platform. I have all the mac hardware as well as a windows 10 desktop and laptop. I truly love and appreciate both platforms. My bone of contention with your novel is the fact you were pirating cubase while making money from it. Not cool. I can see if someone wants to learn the software first but the moment you start profiting from it it's time to pay the developers.

Last edited:

rutrack

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017
I am fully aware that my mac is just a "tool" and that's all it is, hey we could get rid of all of that and go 8-track with a band but it doesn't change the fact that once you buy certain pieces of software that you get used to, your hardware needs to keep up and when the vendors sell it to you on the basis that it will perform on the recommended hardware, you believe them. Apple macs are the choice of the creative professional, and in 2017, almost every producer/dj uses a laptop because music is on the go now days. Apple put processors powerful enough in these systems and the software vendors demonstrate it on these systems. So I'm not working outside of convention, yes there are bigger powerful machines that can handle the job better however, my point is, other vendors are doing it and Apple USED to.
[doublepost=1501078822][/doublepost]
Again your proving me correct. A single 20 years ago would cost you £5.99 from HMV, nowadays the same single is 79p in which we get a cut of 49p. The math is obvious. Like i said the volume of sales is roughly the same but the return isn't.
I don't understand what is the problem then, Apple is not responsible for other vendors even though they really do seem to be control maniacs. Given what they have done with the keyboard, I can't believe I am defending Apple here :D And I'm really sorry, but thank god the times of 5.99 for a single on a CD are gone.

PopBodhi

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2017
Dallas, Texas
You are not alone in your frustration with Apple. It really does seem as if they don't care what their customers think, want and need. After reading your post I thought about how I've moved from being a devoted iTunes user (customer) to not using the program at all. Once it became clear to me that Apple didn't care about the people who wanted CD quality music files, I migrated to another player (JRiver Media) and started purchasing music from other vendors. When I can't find something lossless online, I buy the CD and/or the vinyl. It's really a shame. I have thousands of songs that could've been purchased through iTunes had they simply offered me a choice.

phillyone

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
London, UK
Couple of things. Windows is a robust stable platform. The world runs on windows. That being said Mac OS is also a robust stable platform. I have all the mac hardware as well as a windows 10 desktop and laptop. I truly love and appreciate both platforms. My bone of contention with your novel is the fact you were pirating cubase while making money from it. Not cool. I can see if someone wants to learn the software first but the moment you start profiting from it it's time to pay the developers.
Any software I have ever made money from I have purchased, learning is exactly what I did. I own cubase, protools, the full eco system of native instruments products and had I not had the illegal version, I probably would have never purchased them. But I have purchased every piece of software I use and supported the developers all the way and probably not made back even half of what I've invested into these companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.