Why I'm Voting Republican

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Sep 12, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

First of all, my condolences are with the family and friends of those who had a heart attack when they saw the thread titled "Why I'm Voting Republican" by the guy with the Obama avatar and signature. Second of all, I ripped this off of somewhere on the internets and take absolutely no credit for it, I just found it funny enough to post here.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

That was beautiful. I'm going to rip off your rip-off. ;)

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

oh god, on CNN's new "headline news" channel, which is seriously right winged has chuck norris on right now. HES SUPPORTING THE PALIN/MCCAIN TICKET!

god help us all :(

4. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I was primed to rip you into, but then I saw that quote - ROTFL!!!
    :-D

5. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

That's not bad :) I remember seeing one once, where it did the same treatment to both democrats and republicans...now that one was really good. real wicked it was. I'd found it using Stumble Upon, let's see if I can google it again...

ah, don't ya love google? took me all of three minutes and only the first set of keywords. Lovely. Here it is, it's a table so you need to click through, can't paste it :)

6. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Now that's funny! ( And bipartisan! )

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What I would really like to hear is why someone is really going to do it. That is, someone capable of critical thinking.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that was good

according to the polls, an equal could say the same about voting democrat

but of course, everyone thinks their view is right and anyone who has a different opinion is crazy or "incapable of critical thinking"

9. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

So what's your reason? Care to explain?

10. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

yeah, i liked that too. appeals to my natural cynicism :p

11. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

So you're quite happy with the points raised in the OP?

You do need to stop hiding behind the 'every has their own point of view' argument once in a while.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, I don't like either of those lists. They were done for comedic reasons and aren't in the very least truthful. They're both quite ignorant to be honest.

However, the list the OP posted is far more accurate at pointing out the hypocrisy of the Bush administration and the Republicans. I would really love to see one that is more accurate about the Dems, but something tells me the list would be rather short or as ignorant as the ones you linked.

Please look at the OP and tell me what is untrue. Then tell me why anyone would vote Republican.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Unbelievably enough, some people have actually been happy under the Bush administration. There was something on the Daily Show or Colbert Report or something from a repo man who was obviously doing well and said he'd miss Bush. Screw the rest of us apparently. Plus, some people seem to think they agree more with McCain than Obama. When asked where they fall on the issues, then told they would agree more with the Dems right now, you'd be surprised at how many are completely unaware of that fact. Also surprised to learn they'd get a bigger tax break under Obama.

That, and if you're a racist. Lot of that out there. A lot of misogyny too, but apparently Palin is ok for some reason.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Along the same lines:

The Conservative Palinguage Guide Vols. 1 and 2
    Because everyone knows, IOIYAR.

Also, for those who don't know:

Conservative Failures

It's a kinda short list, but a pretty good basic run down.

15. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Aw lee, now I'm suitably chastised. Nasty Rois! :D

They weren't so much done for comedic as for satirical purposes--and that's exactly what makes them useful. Satire is a form of writing (in the broader sense that includes text that is to be told or acted out, rather than read) which uses various literary devices including irony, analogy, and exaggeration, to point out the faults its author persceives in an individual, organisation, or mindset. It is extensively used in politics, chiefly because it has a history of being much harder to censor than outright criticism, and because it traditionally adopts a take-no-prisoners stance of being equally nasty to all parties involved. In fact, I would probably go so far as to say that if it isn't uniformly nasty to all, it is no longer satire, but merely straight out mockery of your opponent--nothing especially witty or imaginative. Thus, out two lists here are good at pointing out that both mindsets have faults (and by implication that both have some contributions to make to public life). Most importantly though, they're a healthy reminder to each of us--whether we identify with one or the other of the two positions, or with anything in between--that we may not be right no matter how strongly we feel about things, that it's always possible to see what we say from another point of view, and that both 'camps' have people who take some of the generally good and honest principles and distort them to such an extent that they become noxious :)

Based on the rest of your post below, I hope I may be so bold as to venture a guess that you would personnally find yourself more at home, politically, with democrats than with republicans (as would I. most definitely). So it seems to me that your irritation at the 'democrats believe' satire has more to do with what Sean Mills, President of The Onion, relates:

God, I hate being so bloody earnest, but hey--lee started it, mods! *stamp foot, sulk* :p

I could make one up, bloody-minded chit that I am, but I get the feeling it wouldn't be good for me :rolleyes:. However, if anyone wants to see it for a bit of impish fun, I probably won't resist a bit of writing exercise on a nice Sunday afternoon :)

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Here is the rebuttal.

Why I am voting Democrat.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What? I can't vote democrat just because I'm a misogynist?

18. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

aaaww bless, I knew someone would get right to it! Pretty funny, and some points disturbingly accurate *gulp*!

Did you make it yourself or did you get it somewhere?

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I stole it from another site. Hence why I put it in quotes.

Don't worry I am voting for Obama. Just posting it to be fair. ;)

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Funny.

Very funny ... and maybe a bit true. :eek:

21. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

doesnt matter who you vote for, America is going down the tubes no matter who gets in.

Vote republican, and your probably voting for a failed internationaol policy, erosion of civil liberties, bad environmental policies, etc..

Vote Democrat, and your voting for a weaker military, higher taxes, and redistribution of wealth.

the question is, who is likely to do the LEAST damage.

lose...lose...lose...either way.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I fail to see why that's an issue.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Especially since if you look in the past, for the last major wars( Vietnam, Korea, WWII, and WWI) there was a Democrat in the white house. ;)

24. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Attaboy, that's the spirit <g> Only subsitute 'world' for 'America' :p

Seriously sometimes I do feel a bit more optimistic and less cynical, but they're mostly along the lines of birght spots in an otherwise bleak political landscape :p

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I just go with both the candidates are crap. There really is not a good choose. The more I see about each the greater value I see in voting third party.

I then would be able to proudly say I voted and did not help vote them into office.

It just pathetic.