why Imac G4's display was brighter sharper and crispier than that of Imac G5?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by asifnaz, Nov 18, 2011.

1. asifnaz macrumors member

I am not a technical person . I have used imac G4 and now I am using G5 .

what I have felt is G4 had way more better display . can anybody explain why I am having such an experience...?

or what can be the issue..?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its probably because apple used a different panel manufacturer and/or a cheaper version for the G5. Different components behave differently.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Depends on what G5 but some of them used TN panels.

4. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

it makes absolutely no sense that my imac G4 800mhz 256 ram produces better display than imac G5 i5 with 4gb ram

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not, apple and other computer makers use different comments from revision to revision. This wouldn't be the first time that an older model had a better [fill in the blank] component.

Take the current MBAs, the 2010 model has a better GPU then the current version.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The stats you posted on clock speed and ram have nothing to do with the display. Age doesn't mean much either. There are lcd displays built five years ago that beat the quality of the thunderbolt display today. Now they did cost more than the thunderbolt display, but my point remains.

7. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

so it was due to Apple wanted to cut the cost . And I think point I made with this thread is not baseless

8. jaglad macrumors member

No such thing as a iMac G5 i5! if its an aluminium iMac then its going to be an intel based machine which could be either Core 2 Duo, Core i3, i5 or i7 not PowerPC

If it is a white iMac then it could well be a PowerPC G5 machine.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It does on some iMacs. On the 20" G4 iMacs, the display display used IPS technology instead of the lower quality TN technology. I know that this difference is also true on the 20"/24" aluminum iMacs, possibly others.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Note the thread progression I just copied. He said it made no sense giving me cpu and design data for reference. He stated it made no sense. I merely mentioned that a display and a cpu are totally different parts. Apple went with TN panels on a later model as a cost cutting measure there. Since then they've gone back to IPS. The 24" aluminum was the first step back toward IPS. Anyway the OP is confused because he felt that a later model should have a better display.

11. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Am I wrong if I think in such way..?