Why in the heck does Sharp not have a GSM version of the Aquos Crystal?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, Oct 15, 2014.

1. mclld macrumors 68000

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

A GSM version would not be $150. Although VirginMobile and BoostMobile are prepaid no-contract providers, the CDMA versions are locked into those services and so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a minor subsidizing of the phone knowing that they'll make money over the long haul. Heck, at $150 it would make a great alternative to an iPod Touch.... throw in a 128GB microSD card... and never activate it with the service.

The Aquos Crystal is a phone that I'm really itching to get. I'm currently on StraightTalk with an iPhone 4 and I'd love to get a GSM version for use with ST.

But our family has had great experience with VirginMobile over the years and so I'm fine with going back to VM.

From what I understand, the Aquos Crystal is going to be an exclusive to Sprint/BoostMobile/VirginMobile. I suspect that if there is a positive consumer response to that handset, Sharp will commit to bring more to the US. I'm not willing to wait for that possibility. :)