Why is Amazon Paying $85 MORE for 16GB iPhone 4 than a 32GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lick, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Lick, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

Lick macrumors member

I've been debating selling my 4 and buying the iPhone 5 unlocked for a while now. I decided I'd sell through amazon's trade-in since credit there is as good as cash and ebay sounds like a hassle. After opting to trade in they give you a week to ship so I've been checking their prices fairly regularly leading up to the announcement. Prices finally dropped from $255 for a "good" condition 32GB iPhone 4 to $212 after the announcement and they just recently dropped again to $191. Now this is all to be expected but I just checked how much they're offering for the 16gb version out of curiosity and it turns out they're offing $263 for "good" quality 16gb. What the H? I realize these quotes likely fluctuate due to supply and demand and are probably calculated then updated by an algorithm running on some computer but isn't one of their employees somewhere monitoring this stuff? This begs the question, if I select the 16gb iPhone 4 for trade-in and send them my 32gb do you think they will even say anything? I mean why in the world would they pay people more for the smaller capacity version even if they have less in stock. Obviously anyone buying a used iphone 4 on amazon would be more then happy to be sent a 32gb for the same price if amazon ran out of the 16gb version.

I already have a quote for my 32gb locked in at $212, I need to ship that by the 22nd. Is it worth being a filthy liar and saying I have the 16gb model for $50 more credit and more time before I have to ship? Obviously they check these things and I run the risk of them changing my credit amount to whatever the current quote is for a "good" quality 32gb version at the time they receive it.

Check out the prices for yourselves, click trade in on the right side... 16GB 32GB

Edit: While I was writing this the prices already changed. They are still offing more for the 16gb version but no where near the $84 differential for a "like new" condition that I saw 20 minutes ago. I did however lock in a quote for $263 for a "good" condition 16gb. Still don't know if I'll use it, even though in theory they should be happy I'm sending them a more expensive model.

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I clicked on your link and see SELLING prices, not trade in.

???

3. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Probably supply and demand.

4. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

It is definitely a supply and demand thing...they must have a ton of 32GB. It still doesn't make sense that they don't take into account selling price though. I would be stoked if I paid for a 16GB and got 32 especially with the premium apple charges for it.

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Or they need 16gb phones so they are willing to pay more to get them

6. Lick thread starter macrumors member

But why not just upgrade those who bought the 16gb to the 32gb? They would save money and garner good will with customers in the process.

7. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

Thanks OP. using your link, I submitted to trade in my 16GB for $260 and ship by 9/26.

one question: my contract is not over until 9/29. can I take out the SIM card and ship the iphone to Amazon on 9/26? then close the acct by 9/29? (going to Verizon)

8. Lick thread starter macrumors member

Nice, yeah I don't see why you couldn't do that. It's not as if you need the phone to close the account. In fact it would probably be easiest to call and cancel now you'll still have the service you paid for up until the end of the month.

9. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

You are my new best friend. I was locked in for $230 for like new I read your post and relocked in for $260.

The prices are fluctuating like all announcements and the 5 shortages will keep older models value strong.