why is an off contract iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BFizzzle, Apr 9, 2012.

1. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

as much as the ipad with 3g/4g?

smaller screen, both have cellular radios etc.

i mean i know its because people will pay it and they want to make as much money as possible.. just seems a bit absurd!

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Price is set by what the market will pay. It is really not so "absurd", it is Free Enterprise at work! :)

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Aren't smaller form factor items harder and more expensive to make. Including R&D cost and smaller parts.

5. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

never thought about that, thanks for a legit answer and not restating what i said about people will pay regardless.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yeah, it's probably only part of the answer too though. I would imagine with the demand for iPhones it allows them to keep the price higher too.

7. BFizzzle thread starter macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

for sure. and the fact that most people subsidize them, id bet a big part of the of the price is due to the carriers trying to make a pretty penny

8. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

The relative prices do seem a bit odd, but your point makes perfect sense. I an additional reason may be the cost of licensing all the patents involved in mobile phone calling and messaging.

On a side note, your reason is part of my hope that Retina Macs will appear sooner rather than later. A Retina Mac may need far more pixels, but they will be at a lower density, hopefully helping improve the ease of manufacture and reduce the cost.