Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I mean what difference does it really make?
I don't think that the 15 - 17 is more prone to malfunction or anything like that, I don't really understand the logic.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Why is that? Because it's bigger?
I mean for the most part the 15-17 has the same specs as the 13, although I guess the i7 processor is a gap.

Otherwise they should have the 15 and 17 be separate.
It was still this way back when they were all Core2Duo though.

PT123

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
If anything goes wrong in the lid of the MBP, the entire screen has to be replaced. They are probably factoring in the potentially more expensive screen repairs. Plus, where new casing/keyboard needs to be replaced, that's a bigger chunk of aluminum. I think it's because there's simply more real estate to look after.

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Anything bigger is always more expensive - whether it is warranted or not. That's just the way it is.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
If anything goes wrong in the lid of the MBP, the entire screen has to be replaced. They are probably factoring in the potentially more expensive screen repairs. Plus, where new casing/keyboard needs to be replaced, that's a bigger chunk of aluminum. I think it's because there's simply more real estate to look after.

Right, but with that logic there should be a separate Apple Care for the 13, 15, and 17.
I mean the 15 is only 2" bigger than the 13, so why is the 15" the same price as the 17" if the change is the same between those?

KwanMan

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
I mean for the most part the 15-17 has the same specs as the 13, although I guess the i7 processor is a gap.

the 13 always had significantly lower specs than the 15/17. i.e. it used to have a core2duo when the 15/17 had core i-series processors and also the lack of a dedicated graphics card.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
OMFG

Its because they user larger handed elves to build the 15 and 17 models and the larger handed elves have a better union.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

You don't know how to read specs correctly, and thus this thread should be locked.

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Why does Ferrari insurance cost more than Corvette insurance? They're both fast and both run on the same gas...

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Ok. I realize that there was a point when the Macbook Pro 13" had Core2Duo and the others had i5 and such, but that's on instance.
I'm saying that they used to both be Core2Duo, and although I realize the ghz was different, I don't think it was that big of a difference.
I know about the graphics card, but these differences aren't dramatic.

I don't know if I agree that those differences should change the cost a whole 100 dollars (+40%), and was trying to wonder if it would cost more to repair a 17" than a 15" and why there's not a gap inbetween those two.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
Ok. I realize that there was a point when the Macbook Pro 13" had Core2Duo and the others had i5 and such, but that's on instance.
I'm saying that they used to both be Core2Duo, and although I realize the ghz was different, I don't think it was that big of a difference.

I don't know if I agree that those differences should change the cost a whole 100 dollars (+40%), and was trying to wonder if it would cost more to repair a 17" than a 15" and why there's not a gap inbetween those two.

rinse then gargle but don't swallow...

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007

Things the 15inch and 17inch have over the 13:

More Aluminum= More Money
Bigger Magsafe Adapter = More Money
Faster Processor = More Money
Larger HD = More Money
Dedicated Graphics = More Money
Larger Battery = More Money
Larger Screen = More Money
Better speakers = More Money

I guess I can keep going but I think you get the idea... It's just a more expensive computer overall with all the parts. Applecare covers all of the above, and believe it or not, it's more expensive to manufacture/buy better parts. Hence the insurance costs more...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.