Why is Apple presumably putting the headphone jack on the bottom of the iPhone 5?

AceGuy78

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
USA
I really dont understand why... if you're using your phone with headphones plugged in I rather have them coming from the top of the phone or even in the pocket

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
I think it's wrong too. I don't want to have to start putting my phone upside down in my pocket. It'll just feel really... strange.

Apple, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Looks stupid as well.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
I think it's better at the bottom. When I pocket my phone it always goes in top first, screen facing in - that way when i take it out of my pocket my thumb is already on the home button to turn it on. Putting the headphone jack at the bottom will let me always put it in my pocket this way, even when listening to music.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I don't think it will make that much of a difference in your pocket, but I can see it being kind of awkward when using a wired headset and on the phone. For tall people with short headphone/set cords, this will pose a problem.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Why did they put it in the bottom instead of the top?

or

Why did they have it in the top in years past? Was that right or wrong?

Anyways,I am pretty sure that some manager at Apple got up one day and was in a bad mood. He was so pissed off he just told the designers to put it there.

Really - does anyone think this did this without lots of study, thought and decision making? Geez.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
I don't care where it is. After upgrading to BlueTooth headphones, I don't plan to be using that port ever again! :D

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
I think it's wrong too. I don't want to have to start putting my phone upside down in my pocket. It'll just feel really... strange.

Apple, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Looks stupid as well.
Actually, I prefer the headphone jack in the bottom side.

When I pull my phone out of my pocket, the bottom would be already facing "down", the direction I would need it to be in order to use it.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
the ipods seem to have mostly have headphone jacks on the bottom (nano/touch).. I wonder if it's less apple making a decision one way or another and more technical reasoning (internal parts can only fit a certain way).

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It's probably because the audio jack will be part of the docks, since the new connector is just a 9-pin, likely w/o A/V.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Prefer it on top myself. My theory is that they have removed functionality from the new 9 pin connector, specifically audio out. I'm guessing we'll see a dock as well as some (3rd party?) connectors with both a 9 pin and mini audio jack in one assembly.

----------

It's probably because the audio jack will be part of the docks, since the new connector is just a 9-pin, likely w/o A/V.
Grrr, I took to long to type! :p

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I think the reasoning would have to be the way the parts are arranged inside the case. After all, there is only a finite amount of space. It's sort of like playing tetris, except instead of colourful shapes you're using iPhone internals.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Prefer it on top myself. My theory is that they have removed functionality from the new 9 pin connector, specifically audio out. I'm guessing we'll see a dock as well as some (3rd party?) connectors with both a 9 pin and mini audio jack in one assembly.

----------

Grrr, I took to long to type! :p
Definitely possible, though how about a curveball to spice it up a bit?

What about their hybrid audio/optical audio port finally comes to the iOS line ;)

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Carrying the phone bottom up is better ....
that was the headphone jack and dock connecter can catch more dirt and other crap! :rolleyes:

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I'll welcome the headphone jack at the bottom. I pocket my phone with the speaker down and when I pull it out I have to turn the screen towards my face.