Why is Apple selling a cheap phone and not a larger screen phone? Apple is regressing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtnbikerva1, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtnbikerva1 macrumors member

The competition gives us choice.
    Apple seems to want to get rid of it of its customers.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And yet you're still here. I guess they'll just have to keep trying.

3. Erphern macrumors 6502

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

If you want tablet size, buy an iPad mini. Personally I like the way the iPhone 5 fits in my hand. Any larger it becomes a 2 hand device.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

'Fess up, you mean YOU.

6. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Because more people in the world want a cheap phone then a huge one? This isn't hard to figure out...

7. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Lmao so innovative!

8. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

All across Apple product range we have multiple screen size options with iPad mini being the latest addition, why not iPhone?
    Have 4" and introduce 5" and everybody will be happy. I'm sure it will happen eventually, I just hope we don't have to wait yet another year.
    Btw; Apple can easily fit 4.7" screen in current iPhone 5 and apparently they have planned to do it last year, but low voltage Sharp panels weren't ready yet.
    They are ready now, so since we didn't really see any images of front assembly of iPhone 5S, maybe Apple will surprise all come Septembers keynote day ;)

9. maxosx macrumors 68020

Apple is not regressing. What they are doing is taking advantage of a customer base that believes Apple knows better than they do. As a result Apple knows that all they need to do is make small incremental changes which cost very little, and they'll continue to make huge profits.

Because Apple has a cult like customer following they will brag about, and contribute to Apples massive profits as though they were personally benefiting from this business model. A unique situation unlike any other company, Apples sheer brilliance in how they influence & control their customers is to be admired.

10. TC03 macrumors 65816

This is yet another stupid thread by people who thinks Apple is regressing just because Apple does not offer something they want.

You say you want choice, but you really don't, you want Apple to offer what you want.

11. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

I would rather have a smaller phone. My 4s is too big. I'll be upgrading to a different brand if Apple doesn't release an actual hand sized pocket fitting phone within the next year.

12. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

It is no more stupid than countless threads about iOS 7 icons.
    Just because you agree and comply with all Apple decisions, doesn't mean that the rest of the world have to.
    Btw;Your last sentence doesn't make any sense at all I'm afraid... Of course everybody wants manufacturers to offer them what they want, the problem here is that over the years Apple managed to successfully program their users and customers telling them what they need and want instead.
    We are Borg, resistance is futile... ;)

13. Number29 macrumors newbie

You are free to choose any other phone if you don't want an iPhone...

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I really do hope most people on MR are as fed up as me of seeing the same old thread recycled again and again and again. Big screen, cheap iPhone is being discussed and tens of threads right now. Does it ever get boring for some people? :confused:

15. Number29 macrumors newbie

Exactly, why don't these people *choose* to buy some big screened, cheap Android or Windows Phone device if that's what they want?! Every purchase requires you to make some sort of compromise. The compromise if you want a big screened cheap phone is that it won't run iOS. These users should decide for themselves whether that compromise is worthwhile.

16. TC03 macrumors 65816

The point is that people think Apple is regressing because they don't have a product that exactly matches their desires. You have every right not to agree with the choices of a company, but don't use that as an excuse to say that "Apple is regressing". That's just silly.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I do get the impression some are angry that Apple dare produce a product they don't like and are somehow forced almost to be drawn to the iPhone. If I wanted a bigger screened phone, I would have kept my S3 or bought another. Apple were criticised for not matching rivals by reaching out to the budget market and now the suggestions comes along that a cheaper iPhone is on the way, it is now a point to criticise once again. I think people have got far too little to worry about in their lives. A mobile phone is a tool to use day to day. Buy the one you like and leave the one's you don't. I couldn't give a damn if people buy iPhones or not, I bought one because I liked it and joined Mac Rumours to share experiences and learn, not to read a load of tripe about why Apple are the most evil company on earth. :cool:

18. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

So why are you posting on this thread? Ignore it, don't read it and above all don't reply to any of the comments made. It is that simple.
    To all other posters that do not agree, if you want your opinions to be respected, please be respectful yourself to begin with.
    Peace.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Exactly. It's the cheaper midrange market where they are losing the most sales to Android right now, not the big screen market.

20. Merkie macrumors 68020

No rocket science here. Not sure why this is hard to understand.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I posted on it because this thread topic is all that seems to come up recently. I have shared my opinions on threads like this in the feedback section and it seems many feel the same way. How many threads are asking for bigger screens and criticising the rumoured Cheap iPhone on here right now? I think there are too many to count. Why instead of discussing this on the many other threads was a new thread started? You wouldn't have to look far to see peoples opinions on this very topic. I respect the opinion of people like yourself who feel the way you do, even if I don't agree, but to have an entire section dominated by the same recycled questions is incredibly off putting.

22. the-prophet macrumors member

$$$. Drop the price, open the floodgates of success.

23. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

I like my devices to fit in my pocket, and the iphone fits nicely, i was skeptical about the 4 inch screen but apple pulled it off with the iphone 5, i don't want a phablet, i see these android users with the phone that's massive and think it's not apple that are regressing, it's phones themselves, I remember the old motorola V50 i once had, the Ericsson t28 also, great phones and small too, ok i understand that phones now can do loads more but it shouldn't mean we have to get trousers with extra big pockets to be able to keep our phones in them!

24. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Many of us don't want a larger phone - it's a phone not a tablet.
    Why cheaper because many can't afford - especially in other parts of the world the current iPhone prices. You serve the market you want to serve. Apple already has a cheaper phone - they still sell the iPhone 4 and just continuing that tradition.

If they made the iPhone the size of the current Android - I'd find another phone to buy.

25. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

People here are missing the point. To all the close-minded posters who don't want a phablet, it's not all about you. It's also not all about those who are like the OP and just want a slightly larger screen. Everyone has different needs and wants, and after having had the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and (until recently) the iPhone 5, I too wanted a somewhat larger screen, but was dismayed that Apple didn't appear to have a larger screen iPhone 5-something coming this fall. Everything I've read says Android sales are overtaking iPhone sales. Could it be that people want a larger screen? I find the iPhone 5 screen too small after having used it for 5 months. That's 5 months of hitting the wrong buttons on the tiny screen, mistyping practically everything I type, etc. So, I bought a 5" Android phone and while I can honestly say the iPhone has a better OS, the size of the Android phone is great. The screen is absolutely beautiful. And, I can actually configure the phone how *I* want it, and use apps that I actually want, not just apps that Apple deems I can have (Wi-fi utility apps, for example, so now I don't need to carry an android tablet to do my job). There is something between an iPhone 5 and a phablet--a 5" phone is not a phablet. A Note II, yes, but not a 5" phone.

I doubt I am alone in being disappointed that the best Apple could come out with this fall is a "S" version and a cheap version. The cheap version is sure to dilute a brand that up to now has been expensive, sexy and trendy.

If/when Apple decides to "innovate" something special again, I'll come back. But for now, with the Snapdragon 800 chip coming out in new phones with speed and features beyond anything else, you guys just enjoy your cheap 5C's while I enjoy Wireless AC, USB 3.0 and super-powerful quadcore performance from my phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.