Why is Apple still selling core duo Chips in there netbooks.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cootersgarage6, Dec 7, 2010.

1. cootersgarage6, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

I have noticed since these new I chips have came out, I have not seen any consumer notebooks with Intel Core 2 Duo's in them, Or desktops for that matter. I would have assumed they had to be taken of the line for good.
    Does this mean the newer Intel Core 2 Duo's are still powerful UPDATED chips? Or are they just going to upgrade them next year, or do you think Intel will just keep updating the 2 duo chip?
    I'm not sure if I was told wrong by the man at the the Apple Online Store, but on the phone he told me that the Intel Core 2 Duo's will be completely dead this coming year.
    Thanks! -:apple:_:apple:- <---Lol

2. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

The current chips used for the Macbook and MBP are more powerfull than the i3 chips that would have replaced them, thats why Apple still uses them, because they are better than the current more modern alternative. Another chip (Sandy bridge?) will eventually replace them, but that would be the same across the whole range.

3. Cboss macrumors 6502

The problem is that Intel isn't allowing other companies to use their own integrated graphics chips with the new i-series of processors. Apple was forced to choose between updating the cpu and downgrading the gpu, or keeping the cpu the same while updating the gpu. They chose the latter.

This was on the front page a few days ago.

4. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Size, battery life, integrated graphics performance

if you're going to manufacture use i-series CPUs then you get to pick two

if you want best balance of all three then C2D is still the only viable option

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This

Oh, and don't let Steve Jobs hear you call them "notebooks."

6. Consultant, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MacBook and MacBook Air are not netbooks and perform much better than netbooks. And as explained, the intel nvidia resolving their dispute should bring faster GPU on integrated machines with the core i processors.