Why is AT&T doing this now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuseone, Mar 3, 2012.

1. fuseone macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

ATT Free Msg: Your data usage is near 3GB this month. Exceeding 3GB during this or future billing cycles will result in reduced data speeds, though you'll still be able to email & surf the web. Wi-Fi helps you avoid reduced speeds. Visit www.att.com/datainfo or call 866-344-7584 for more info. That is the message I got when normally they only reduced my speed at around 6 or 7 gigs

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Check out this MacRumors article from Thursday.

AT&T Revamps Throttling Policy, Only Slows Unlimited Users above 3GB/Month

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm curious to find out if this now affects ALL Unlimited users. There were always several posting on here using 10+ gigs that claimed no throttling.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's apparently the case now: they are supposed to apple this all users with unlimited data plans.

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Seems like it will. I hope the abusers who needed me to pay for their bandwidth will go to sprint.

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Why exactly are Unlimited data users "abusers"?

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Well I'm not sure I'd call an Unlimited user that uses a bunch of bandwidth "abusers" as they were encouraged by the bandwidth provider to purchase the "unlimited" plan in the first place. AT&T has changed the rules to better favor their profit margins is all that has happened. So maybe the Unlimited users are abusing AT&T's profit margins...but that's it.

Still, I've always been surprised to see so many people posting "Nope, still using 10 gigs here, no throttling" and yet now that this new program is in place (and appears to be universal), not a single one has come on here stating "They are finally throttling me!" I'd expect a least a few spotty rage posts here...unless, once again, AT&T is using discriminatory practices in who gets throttled and who doesn't.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I don't think so. If all I could get was 1.5 Mbps, I'd go without Internet on my phone.

Back when everyone was on EDGE, there was plenty of bandwidth, because most people were able to connect at 200-700 Kbps, and the 5Mbps to 10Gbps backbone connecting each tower was adequate, and there was plenty of spectrum using TDMA to multiplex the users. However, HSPA and HSPA+ don't use TDMA to multiplex anymore, they use a form of CDMA, so rather than being able to squeeze many people into the same frequency ranges, you can only get a couple of people, so they need to use more frequencies. As a result, the GSM companies (around the world) are regretting their unlimited data plans because their infrastructure can't really support the 3-10Mbps connections to hundreds of people per tower both due to the available frequencies over the air (aka bandwidth) or the available data flow over their backbone (also aka bandwidth). As a result, they have to use what ever means are at their disposal to give the majority of the people the best experience possible. If that means throttling those people who are tethering or using 10 GB per month, so be it. Some places the towers and backbone are being as widely used as in others, so there is much more leeway, and they won't care until you start interfering with others abilities to use the service. Also, you will find at&t to have the biggest problems in LA, New York City, and San Francisco. All of which have major hurdles that you have to go through in order to add new towers, in order to add more capacity. New York also has the tall buildings in Manhattan that absorb rather than bounce the signals.

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few."

(btw - T-Mobile doesn't have this problem because they throttle everyone over 2GB, and there aren't enough customers clustered together like at&t has to cause these issues. Plus they are using a frequency that behaves the same everywhere because they use mainly the 1700 Mhz range, whereas at&t is using at least two if not three different frequencies, depending on their license, in order to build and support their network, and each range behaves differently.)

TEG

10. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

This is a dangerous philosophy.

11. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Sounds like something from the CIA.... Langley hmmm:D

12. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Then Spock quoted the CIA?

13. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

When the rights of the individual are superceeded by the rights of the masses you end up with......well, you work it out.

14. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's makes no sense that they offer a 5gb plan but limit unlimited at 3gb. It's strictly about the money. They don't care about bandwidth.

15. fuseone thread starter macrumors member

I'd like to know how I'm a abuser when all I do is just listen to pod cast while I the car and fb and just general stuff like thay

16. OceanView macrumors 65816

No politics guys as you can't change anybody's mind regarding this.

We need to focus on the issue at hand which is AT&T changing policy to better suit themselves.
    3GB is still low as more data will be consumed by all going forward.
    This change in policy is unfair and should be investigated by the FCC.
    I don't want a class action lawsuit as it only benefits the attorneys.
    I want policy change.
    If I can't have truly unlimited, then I want the option to not have data at all on my iPhone.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Sure it is, when you take it completely out of context. There were a couple hundred other words that went along with his statement. Also, we aren't exactly talking law here. We are talking about how a company deals with consumption of their services. FWIW Apple has the same exact stance, what with the lovely Appstore, anti-jailbreak mentality, etc.

----------

If you want the phone to be subsidized, I don't think this is a fair request. I see it as fair if you buy the phone outright. Unfortunately they won't even give you the option at that point.

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Previous to this week, the warning only came for some users. Last weekend, I used nearly 6GB between Friday and Saturday, the last three days of my billing cycle. Didn't get a warning at all and my new month started on Sunday.

Since tons of people started complaining that they were getting throttled, AT&T changed this so that it will now affect all users on unlimited plans. Unlimited users will now get throttled at 3GB but won't get charged extra for using more than 3GB though it will be at slower then edge speeds. People on the tiered 3GB plan will get charged more for using more than 3GB so it's still better to stay on unlimited.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The unpopular position that available bandwidth is not unlimited you can't have it both ways: Network performance is affected by load. IIRC AT&T is spending close to $100 billion again this year to increase bandwidth. (I apologize if the number is only something like $20 billion, I don't have any articles in front of me). Look at the number of new subscribers every month and something's gotta give.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I love how all of the complainers thought they were actually going to get something for complaining. NOPE! That's not how these things work.

Supposedly you still get about .22mbit down even while throttled. I think that's actually slightly better than edge in most cases.

----------

Some would say that AT&T should limit the number of new subscribers they allow onto the network. When a restaurant sells out of hamburger patties, they stop selling hamburgers. They don't give you a quarter hamburger and still charge you full price. (I say all this, yet I basically agree with ATT's stance, for the most part, just not necessarily how they went about it).

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes, it still slow.I remember using my 3GS iPhone on a GoPhone plan and got about those same speeds while on 3G. AT&T throttled people using iPhones on prepaid plans while other phones using 3G on prepaid were not throttled.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I love analogies, especially food ones! :D I think of it more as a restaurant that has all-you-can-eat hamburgers and a customer that can eat indefinitely. Every time they finish a hamburger a new one is immediately brought out. But after three hamburgers, a new one is only brought out every 30 minutes. It's still all-you-can-eat so it's unlimited hamburgers. You just can't eat the rest as fast as you ate the first three. Oh, and all analogies are flawed in some way. ;)

23. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

As Steve Jobs said..

"If you're on WiFi(the network) could.. Could you just get off?"

24. Roadking macrumors 6502

Thats Langley, Washington not Langley, Virginia.

Get your Langley's straight...

25. Spectrum Abuser, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Back in the iPhone 4 keynote when there were several thousand wifi-enabled devices taking up the rooms spectrum along with over 570 MyFi base stations for broadcasters.