Why is backing up the iPhone SO FRUSTRATING!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hephaestus, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

Seriously Apple, considering all the genius software engineers you have, iTunes is CRAP. Why is it when I try to back up my iPhone it won't back up.

I have 1.3GB left on my iPhone. I try to back up my Apps and for some reason that iPhone starts filling up?! :confused: Memory gets used up, for no apparent reason. It is so stupid that it fills up the entire 1.3GB with "other" and then says "cannot back up" because the iPhone is too full.

FULL OF WHAT?! You just filled up the damn phone with "other" when I clicked BACK UP. Why add stuff when backing up? This is stupid beyond belief I've been trying to back up my damn easy to use iPhone for ages and I feel like throwing it at a wall right now.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Is there music/movies/apps set to sync while you are backing up ... that would cause the error.

3. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

No those are not set to sync. I'm not doing a full sync, I'm simply transferring my new purchases from my iPhone. BUT for some reason the ridiculous thing is eating up the memory with "other" to the point where it fills up all the memory and is actually unable to perform the task I want it to.

Then the memory randomly comes back but the same problem occurs every time I try. RIDICULOUS.

4. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

Same problem and now all of a sudden the badge on my messages won't disappear, I've read the messages but the notification badge won't go away. On top of that, my Calendar icon is glitching all over the place, all it shows is the numbers floating with no actual icon.

Seriously Apple, you people suck nowadays. The quality of your products is slipping big time, Lion is **** and the iPhone is following. This is coming from an Apple fan so don't anyone call me an anti apple fanboy. I'm just very pissed off right now.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Thats strange i have only 535mb left on my 8GB 3Gs and when i sync the yellow "Other" section fills the entire way but syncs and doesn,t say its too full:confused:

7. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

I just deleted the Tin Tin game since and now it sync'd the rest fine. For some reason when that was backing up Tin Tin the stupid thing was adding stuff onto the phone, for some bizarre reason. Since I'm on the topic of Tin Tin thats another thing that pisses me off.

Apple, is it so hard to accurately describe an application? On the App Store it says the game is 800MB large, when I bought it I discover that its 1.5GB. The real information could result in me wasting my money. IS IT SO DAMN HARD to write an accurate description?!

Damn you people are really challenging my loyalty to this brand that is turning to a piece of ****.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

FYI, it is the developer who writes the description, not Apple.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

10. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

Well they're publishing it on Apple's store so Apple should verify the information and ensure it is correct.

Also, now my phone is filled with 2.3GB of "other" crap. Anyone have any idea how I can remove this "other" stuff. Also, I apologise if I sound rude to anyone, I'm just really very angry, not at anyone here though.

I'm especially angry since a company that brands itself as "easy to use", "magical" and "it just works" CANNOT get such simple things right.

----------

That's what I'm doing. I have music, videos and apps to manually manage. This is why i click "Transfer purchases from my iPhone".

The only thing that I have set to sync is calendars.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Restore.

You complain about them not getting something so simple right, yet it works perfectly for millions of other people. Nothing is perfect 100% of the time, and occasionally technology needs to be reset.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This subject has been discussed before, I know I've replied to a few of them, I just can't find those threads now.

Their does seem to be a bug in iOS 5 that allows the "other" to increase for no apparent reason, and for me it had something to do with my music and the artwork that would re-sync multiple times (causing the 'other' to increase to over 1GB). Manually Managing my iPhone, plus enabling iTunes Match has gotten rid of this problem for me.

I know this is not ideal, but this problem (that I can tell) is not wide spread and only affects a small group of people.

I also agree with r.j.s and do a restore, if possible not from a back-up (set-it up as new).

13. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

If i do a restore from new, won't that mean my entire phone will be wiped? I know I can back stuff up and put it back on but it seems like a chore.

Will I have to re-add all my pictures, videos, photos, apps, messages, contacts?

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes.

It will essentially be a brand new phone.

15. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

No one is saying it should be perfect 100% of the time, Apple wasn't perfect before the iPhone was released and before it was mainstream and common, but the bugs were very rare. Nowadays, their software IS more glitchy. This is a fact; their quality IS slipping. I've had bad experiences lately and so have many people I know had negative experiences with Apple products lately.

It doesn't do anybody any good to plug your ears in denial and pretend like this isn't an issue that is growing.

----------

Argh... great. That is going to take be bloody ages. I guess I'll leave it for the time being since its late, I might reset it tomorrow.

Strangely, it actually seems to be okay now, I just rebooted it. Its just that "other" is still abnormally large.

16. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

17. wharzhee macrumors 6502

It's always an issue to backup any cellular Phone.
    If it doesnt work, try updating to the latest iOS and use the icloud feature to backup your iPhone.
    It does taxes ur Internet connection

18. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

Every other cellular phone didn't cost £500 with the promise of "it just works" which is why I'm angry at Apple - I expect better.

Anyway, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and do a full restore like one of the other posters said.

19. wharzhee macrumors 6502

Try the icloud method, instead of the restore.
    If u haven't backuped. U stand to lose all your stuff? Saved games? Boy that sucks.

500 pounds, wow. That's a hefty sum. I didn't even pay anything for my iPhone 4s. The sales of my old iPhone was always able to cover the cost of my next iPhone. Plus surplus.

20. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by iCloud method? I regularly do iCloud back ups but that backs up stuff like contacts and messages etc. How would that help me free up the junk that iTunes put in "other" ?

I think my gamesaves will be fine, as I previously said, Tin Tin was the only game that didn't back up, the others did.

21. wharzhee macrumors 6502

Ok. I'm quite confused. If you backup on the icloud, backing up with iTunes will be disabled.

Sorry I'm not much of a help, i didn't understand the "others" but I do know you can go to general>usage>storage and delete those apps you think are using a lot of space

Under backup, icloud>storage&backup>manage storage
    You can pick your iPhone and choose to backup the stuff you want.

22. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Automatic Back-up with iTunes will be disabled, but you can still manually back it up.

Command + Click (Mac), Right Click (PC)
    [​IMG]

23. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty confused as well now. I back up on iCloud and iTunes. From what I understand iCloud back ups aren't a replacement for iTunes back ups. When I back up on iCloud I back up my messages and contacts etc in the cloud.

In iTunes when I do a back up, I'm actually literally backing up my applications so they are actually stored on my computer. So I can simply transfer them back to my phone. iCloud backs up app data, but I like to have them stored on my computer as well.

This is what I was doing when the whole fiasco occurred.

In terms of "other", this data is not related to apps. Hence why its called "other". It was thrown on my iPhone when I was trying to extract TinTin, which is why I am so stunned as to the ludicrousness of what happened.

----------

I don't meant to sound ungrateful, but how does this help me in the slightest?

24. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it doesn't, but I was responding to warzhee to let him/her know that it is still possible to backup with iTunes if iCloud is enabled.