Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Am I doing something wrong? I tried ios 7.0 by restoring, set up as new iphone, disable icloud, increase contrast and so on.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Not sure what threads you have been reading, but there are numerous threads about iPhone 4 owners downgrading back to iOS6 due to poor performance on iOS7

Look here --> Lots of threads about iPhone 4 owners restoring (or trying to restore to iOS6) https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/105/

I can't imagine iOS7 could ever run decently on iPhone 4, it even lags a bit on wife's iPad 3 (but no big deal - it is being replaced in December with whatever the next version iPad Apple gives us).

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah, iOS7 has killed my dad's iPhone 4. It now performs like a device from the 1980s.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Honestly though, an iPhone 4 is 4 generations old.

It lacks RAM and processor speed to run newest firmware adequately.
You really can't be surprised at this.

I absolutely agree, I advised my father not to upgrade and Apple should know this too.
In my mind they have unscrupulously destroyed the phone in order to force people to buy a new handset. The i4 zipped along on iOS5 and was workable on iOS6, despite being slowed considerably even by that upgrade. I would implore anyone who hasn't already upgraded their i4 not to do so. They will suffer a very noticeable slowing of all functions and also worse battery life. Why bother? The new features certainly aren't worth killing your handset for.

dave-tx

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
I absolutely agree, I advised my father not to upgrade and Apple should know this too.
In my mind they have unscrupulously destroyed the phone in order to force people to buy a new handset. The i4 zipped along on iOS5 and was workable on iOS6, despite being slowed considerably even by that upgrade. I would implore anyone who hasn't already upgraded their i4 not to do so. They will suffer a very noticeable slowing of all functions and also worse battery life. Why bother? The new features certainly aren't worth killing your handset for.

Apple should have made iOS7 incompatible with the iPhone 4. Performance is worse, battery life is significantly worse (for me). I've even had my phone overheat and shut down after the upgrade.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
This. People need to stop exaggerating, for example...

:rolleyes:

Haha. Yeah, I actually find it faster for certain things. For example... entering a passcode, the passcode screen seems more responsive.

In iOS 6, very often I'd get a lag when entering a passcode which could skip some numbers and I'd have to start all over again. With iOS 7 it's super smooth.

Safari is the most noticeably improved built-in app. It launches faster, has much less lag, and just generally feels much faster than iOS 6 Safari.

I didn't do a restore either, just a straight OTA update.

I feel that the battery is very slightly worse, but it's not a deal breaker.

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
It works just fine on mine, I mean it's no slower than iOS 6 for me.

Same here. I'm very happy with it. I do however recognize that there are a lot of people that are reporting a different experience. Not sure what is causing the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.