Why is everybody so sure it'll be called 5C?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blerns3, Aug 31, 2013.

1. blerns3 macrumors 6502

I know that basket of "iPhone 5C" packing leaked but I remember something similar leaking around the same time last year where the packaging said "the new iPhone" and yet it was still iPhone 5. Is this just a dubbed placeholder name till we know for sure because of the leaked packaging or is there some stocking evidence with the name? Just curious.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Because of that one leak, it will be known as the 5C until it's official. It is the way of the internet. ALL GLORY TO THE INTERNET!

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Technically nothing is official until Tim Cook announces it. As of right now we don't know for sure there is a "lower cost" iPhone. Speculation and rumors says there is, but It could be false I guess. That being said I'm pretty sure alot of the stuff we have heard is true, but there is probably some false stuff at there. As far as the name for the phone goes ... It's new so I'm sure it's possible there could be a different name... I think iPhone 5C is going to stick though.

----------

Heck even if they change the name it'll still be the 5C thanks to that leak lol...

4. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Nobody haves.....

100% assurance. The moniker is based in speculation, leaks and rumors....But I am not seeing Apple calling it "iPhone El Cheapo"......:D

:):apple:

5. mr.lavender macrumors newbie

Why even call it C for color, I mean isn't that just dumb? There's nothing special about a phone being in color.

And C for cheap, it's not even cheap.

6. blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gotta love the internet. Things with no credence become "true" faster than people gossiping

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

The internet allows people to unleash their inner troll / stupidity / pervert without fear of being caught.

iPhone 5C name without any real proof would be an example of the stupidity aspect of things :p

8. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Could be classic?

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's like how we have iPad 3 and iPad 4 when in reality they don't exist.

10. iphonehype macrumors 6502

So the iPhone 32 will be called the iPhone 32? *ba*ra*bammmmm*

11. mr.lavender macrumors newbie

Actually iPad 3 is real.

And also fake Chinese company owns iPhone 5C trademark. Interesting.

12. blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think something similar happened with the iPhone 5 trademark when it started leaking parts. Needless to say, Apple got it, lol

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't know why Apple dropped that. I guess it's OK, especially in the tablet world. But most of us are going to refer to them as iPad 3, iPad 4 instead of "early 2012 the new iPad" and "late 2012 iPad with Retina Display." When talking about iPods pre-iPhone, I know it was all "fifth-gen iPod" and "second-gen iPod nano," etc. I like simple names and numbers. Galaxy S3 and S4 isn't so bad, although I have no clue what the S is needed for (says the owner of an iPhone 4S).

Anyway, OP as far as the 5C, the only semi-proof we have is a bunch of boxes that say 5C in the same style as the 4S and 3GS. So it's a moniker we're sticking with until proven otherwise. We thought the radio service would be iRadio until it was called iTunes Radio. Now it's called iTunes Radio by everybody. We just need something to call these that isn't "rumored plastic-shelled new iPhone with internal parts similar to the iPhone 5 that will be available in multiple colors."

Thus, 5C.

14. mr.lavender macrumors newbie

I knew something was wrong when they called it "the new iPad" I was like, "What kind of sorcery is this?"