Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deemie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
It seems ridiculous how everyone is jumping to conclusions when the phone hasn't even been released yet

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Because many users have been having problems with Safari reloading tabs with their 1GB device.

MegLuvsMacs

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
West Virginia
It seems ridiculous how everyone is jumping to conclusions when the phone hasn't even been released yet

I agree. To me, yeah its disappointing if it doesn't have 2 Gigs of RAM. But its not the end of the world. My 5S is chugging right along and it only has one gig, so no big deal to me. As long as it works good, and is snappy then thats all that matters to me. Yeah the tabs may reload every once in awhile, but a good bit of us has 3G / 4G / LTE / High Speed Net so whats that gonna take? 5 seconds out of our life? I can live with that :) I've spent about 40 seconds of my life typing this lol

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

The iPhone 5 and 5S also have 1GB of RAM. The limitations are already known and a slightly more powerful device with a bigger screen is only going to tax the piddly RAM module even more.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Because many users have been having problems with Safari reloading tabs with their 1GB device.

Plus even if the device runs smoothly on iOS 8, having only 1gb of RAM can cause the device to lag from a future iOS version (ala iPhone 4)... or be left for dead on iOS updates by Apple earlier than if it had 2gb of RAM.

When people spend near $1,000 on a device... you kind of want it to have top specs and be future-proofed a little bit instead of having the bare minimum needed to pass mustard.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

This is a "problem" that could be solved by software, not requiring more RAM. Web pages aren't that data heavy. I know. I've been building them for two decades. Safari on iOS's inability to keep more than three tabs open without dumping the data is a software and memory optimization issue, not a RAM issue.

----------

Plus even if the device runs smoothly on iOS 8, having only 1gb of RAM can cause the device to lag from a future iOS version (ala iPhone 4)... or be left for dead on iOS updates by Apple earlier than if it had 2gb of RAM.

Again, more likely a software than a RAM problem. Desktop computers with far more horsepower than the current iPhone ran on 1gig of RAM a scant few years ago.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This is a "problem" that could be solved by software, not requiring more RAM. Web pages aren't that data heavy. I know. I've been building them for two decades. Safari on iOS's inability to keep more than three tabs open without dumping the data is a software and memory optimization issue, not a RAM issue.

----------

Again, more likely a software than a RAM problem. Desktop computers with far more horsepower than the current iPhone ran on 1gig of RAM a scant few years ago.

Well this has been happening since iOS 4 or something daft and has only got worse with iOS7, so I've kinda given up hope of them ever fixing it with software tweaks. Frankly they've had more than enough time so they should just bung in some more RAM and be done with it. Quite why the apologists have such a problem with the idea of more RAM is baffling. I expect that much like the bigger screens, once more RAM comes they'll be shouting from the rooftops in glee.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
This is a "problem" that could be solved by software, not requiring more RAM.

Well of course it's easy to simply say "Oh Apple just needs to make future versions of iOS run on less RAM" just the same as it's easy to say "The U.S. government needs to start spending less money on its annual budget"... is either one going to happen though? Probably not ;)

Go into the MBA section of the forum and search for "RAM", you will see tons of threads debating that 4gb of RAM isn't enough to future proof the MBA from being laggy from future versions of OSX. Same concept here with 1gb of RAM in the iPhone 6.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Well this has been happening since iOS 4 or something daft and has only got worse with iOS7, so I've kinda given up hope of them ever fixing it with software tweaks. Frankly they've had more than enough time so they should just bung in some more RAM and be done with it. Quite why the apologists have such a problem with the idea of more RAM is baffling. I expect that much like the bigger screens, once more RAM comes they'll be shouting from the rooftops in glee.

Nobody has a problem with the idea of more RAM.

What is perplexing, however, is people's inability to put their money where their mouth is. If the iPhone having 2 GB of RAM is of the utmost importance to you, don't buy it. Stop giving Apple your money if they're not giving you what you want.

Most importantly, let others give Apple their money if they choose to and stop trying to tell them why they should be upset about something that obviously doesn't bother them.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Well of course it's easy to simply say "Oh Apple just needs to make future versions of iOS run on less RAM" just the same as it's easy to say "The U.S. government needs to start spending less money on its annual budget"... is either one going to happen though? Probably not ;)

Go into the MBA section of the forum and search for "RAM", you will see tons of threads debating that 4gb of RAM isn't enough to future proof the MBA from being laggy from future versions of OSX. Same concept here with 1gb of RAM in the iPhone 6.

I didn't say it was the OS's problem. It looks to me like it's a Safari problem.

As far as threads on the MBA go, that's a red herring. A totally false 1:1. Sorry.

----------

Imagine how disappointed you're going to be when 2gig of wired RAM still doesn't fix Safari's memory hole then.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Nobody has a problem with the idea of more RAM.

What is perplexing, however, is people's inability to put their money where their mouth is. If the iPhone having 2 GB of RAM is of the utmost importance to you, don't buy it. Stop giving Apple your money if they're not giving you what you want.

Most importantly, let others give Apple their money if they choose to and stop trying to tell them why they should be upset about something that obviously doesn't bother them.

So we're only allowed to come to MacRumors to gloat and high five then? An iPhone devotee isn't permitted to debate issues he or she may have? They should just immediately go out and buy an Android phone without a whimper?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
So we're only allowed to come to MacRumors to gloat and high five then? An iPhone devotee isn't permitted to debate issues he or she may have? They should just immediately go out and buy an Android phone without a whimper?

That's kind of a rash interpretation of "vote with your dollars," isn't it?

icowboys

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012

When people spend near $1,000 on a device... you kind of want it to have top specs and be future-proofed a little bit instead of having the bare minimum needed to pass mustard.

Exactly. 3rd party extensions will also add to RAM usage in iOS 8.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

Debating is one thing, but I don't see many people interested in a debate. To debate implies that you see how there can be another side to a viewpoint, and many of the people upset about only 1 GB can't seem to fathom why other people aren't as unhappy as they are.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013

Angst seems to be ingrained in a subset of the community. If iOS 8 and Safari have fixes for the page reload issue, I think the complaints will fade away… until iPhone 6S :-D

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Because people are brain washed by google into thinking that specs matter. When it's really the OS that determines what hardware you need. We're also obsessed with bigger numbers.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
"Don't 'freak out', my friends. I too want an iPhone."
Bighorn-Ram-Animal.jpg

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Angst seems to be ingrained in a subset of the community. If iOS 8 and Safari have fixes for the page reload issue, I think the complaints will fade away… until iPhone 6S :-D

Exactly. Software problem.

But, as we all know, Apple has a poor track record when it comes to squashing long standing issues like this one, so no one should be surprised when two gig of wired RAM gets added... and Safari still acts exactly the same way.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

Buying an Android would do considerably more than whining on the internet.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Debating is one thing, but I don't see many people interested in a debate. To debate implies that you see how there can be another side to a viewpoint, and many of the people upset about only 1 GB can't seem to fathom why other people aren't as unhappy as they are.

Works both ways. Being told to clear off and buy an Android phone isn't exactly debating either, is it?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

People here have been complaining about that a lot, but I haven't experienced it myself, nor have I heard about it anywhere else. I don't know if it's because I don't browse the web that much on my phone, or because I use Chrome rather than Safari, but even when I just experimented by opening multiple tabs in Chrome and Safari at the same time and cycling through them, only Safari tabs ever reloaded, and not all the time.

Anyway, if this is an issue for people, why jump on the opportunity to buy another iPhone before you even know if it has a RAM upgrade? If your phone isn't hacking it, get a different one. If you're so attached to iOS that you can't bring yourself to do that, well, that's the sacrifice you'll have to make. No device is perfect.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Works both ways. Being told to clear off and buy an Android phone isn't exactly debating either, is it?

What's there to "debate" though, really? The iPhone once again has 1GB of RAM. Either you can deal with it or you can't. Complaining about it and then either accepting it or finding a different manufacturer are your only real options.

For what it's worth, I wish the iPhone 6 was everything you were hoping it would be in terms of memory.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

I wasn't trying to start a debate with that statement, I was just pointing out that some people would be a lot happier if they weren't trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Maybe Android is worth a look for some people that aren't really happy about the new iPhones, or iOS in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.