Why is everyone putting so much faith in the rumored event on the 26th?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JWest, Feb 14, 2008.

1. JWest macrumors 6502

The "Special Event" on the 26th is just a rumor still. Why is everyone so sure that there'll be new MBPs, an iPhone SDK, etc. at this event when it technically doesn't exist yet?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think we've been sure of new MacBook Pros for the past several Tuesdays.

3. cmm26red macrumors regular

OK, before I post this, please be advised that I have just as much disdain for unsubstantiated rumors as the next person. Having served in the military, I know that loose lips sink ships. I have yet to find anything about the upcoming MPB release that I find credible, including Hardmac, or various other sites who post one or two lines sighting a so called source. I bounce back and forth between here and the apple insider forums and have observed a member over there called tailpipe (Joined Aug 07) make two posts over the pasts couple weeks that I find interesting. Take it as you will, believe it or not, it is entirely up to you. For me, this is the best and most believable discussion I have heard thus far about the new MPBs release. Even if it is not true, it still is a good read.

His first post was on 02-01-2008 @ 11:12 AM:

"This info comes to you from London via an Englishman working at Apple, (and there are more than you think ;-))

A revised MacBook Pro with a Leopard 10.5.2 update was meant to debut at MacWorld but neither was ready.

The delay for the MBP was caused by Intel Penryn processors not being available due to some production glitch. As we all know, Apple doesn't like to announce products too far ahead of their shipping dates - with the notable exception of the iPhone - so decided to delay the launch. Penryn-based PCs now good to go and begin shipping Monday.

Expect new MBP 15-inch and 17-inch within two weeks. 17-inch gets LED.
    New MBP DOES feature a slightly revised case design with the new black keyboard from MBA and a larger trackpad, but is basically very similar to existing design. Think evolution not revolution.

The idea is to achieve a commonality of look across the range.
    SSD will be an option offering an exceptionally fast boot time < 30 seconds.
    Also seen lurking in the corridors of Cupertino was an aluminum MacBook 13". Initially available in silver, my source reckons anodized black, blue, pink and other colours will be available around September. New MacBooks will be a big story later this year. One of the range (I don't know which, maybe the black one) will have a superior spec that basically makes it a MacBook Pro 13"."

Reference: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=83903

His second post was today, @ 11:17 AM

"The all new MacBook Pro was meant to make its debut at MacWorld in January. The big story was meant to be that while 2007 was all about the iPhone, 2008 would see Apple return to its roots: computers. Steve Jobs had planned to reveal a brand new 17" MacBook Pro, a brand new 15" MacBook Pro, (and, if my source is correct, there was even meant to be a brand new 13" model, but it isn't clear whether this was MacBook Pro or MacBook - but it is definitely aluminum). Having introduced these machines, the "...and just one more little thing." was meant to be the MacBook Air.

All of these machines feature the gesture touchpad, new keyboard, LED screens and super-sleek thinner case designs, longer battery life, lower weight than the existing line-up and 802.11n WiFi capabilities. What screwed up the launch was the manufacturing problem Intel is having with Penryn processors using the new 45Nm process. THEY STILL HAVEN'T YET SHIPPED IN VOLUME. Given that Leopard 10.5.2 wasn't ready either, the decision to pull the launch was made as a delay between announcement and launch would have killed Mac sales. As things stand, Apple will not launch any revised laptops until Penryn is up and running. That is expected to happen later this week or next week.

For these reasons, Apple is holding a special event in February which will include the iPhone SDK but no 3G iPhone yet.

Apparently, the decision to pull the launch of the revised range was only taken just before the MacWorld Conference and SJ was not amused. Fortunately, the MacBook Air uses a unique processor that was ready in time so this was unaffected by the penryn problem.
    So, be patient, friends, new MBPs are coming. The delay isn't Apple's fault.
    By all accounts, we'll all be delighted when these machines show-up. They'll be worth their WAIT in Gold."

Reference: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=84319

Sale, Sale, Sale, if you live in Canada!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/search/searchresult.asp?logon=&langid=EN&search=KWS

Amazon too:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1203039701&sr=1-1

As well as my school:

http://epos2.sequoiars.com/ePOS?thi...s//NxkAqHjyc3Nx886vXv1orttazGHYYONtVQ+vuf6g==

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

and we'll be sure of them from now until they are released, its quite a bit of fun watching everyone freak out each tuesday morning when the apple store goes offline:D:D:D

5. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

1. its rumnor site. its our job to speculate:D
    2. ppl on hear think new MBP have becoming out every tuesday since MWSF so thats no different:confused:
    3. we want it to come out so we hope it does :rolleyes:
    4. what else do we have to do :(

curse you apple for all of this

6. weizilla macrumors regular

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

8. cmm26red macrumors regular

I was referring to the ETA which is 2/29-3/13/2008. Also, note that the 2.4GHz model is completely sold out.

Not where I live (excluding the closest store, but considering my university has an Apple store, I give little credence to that):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&_requestid=64708

9. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Why isn't EVERYONE putting FAITH in the rumored event is my question. I am a mac newb and i believe there will be some type of update. Apple will be really falling behind in a game they can't afford to lag. All these huge laptop companies are releasing or have released their version of penryn notebooks.

I'm putting my faith in Apple. I already sold my soul to Apple when I bought their shares. :mad:

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Sounds like the most reasonable idea/rumor/whatever so far, even if it isn't true (but it sounds like it is). I'm pretty sure Apple didn't intend to delay the MBP update this far, and I'm betting the update will occur within the next 2 weeks.

11. YELLOWSOUL macrumors member

its the 26th!!!! *crosses fingers*

12. Glueeater macrumors regular

Solid post. We may only hope.

13. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

Are you going to keep on posting this? You have posted this like 10 times in different threads. I know it's a good post but common..

14. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

Yup everywhere in South Africa is on back orders..no-ones ordering for in store display..

15. YELLOWSOUL macrumors member

ooo the 26th is starting to sound more and more logical

16. hanne macrumors newbie

Backorders in Norway.. AND

Backorders on all MBPs in three online stores that are certified apple sellers in Norway as well. Either the stores have got two or three in, or none at all.

AND: one store says the new shipment of MBPs is expected March 5th.... hmmm, interesting!

17. hanne macrumors newbie

I REALLY do NOT care for the MBA keyboard.. I seriously hope they won't put it in the MBP!!!!! :mad:

18. Angarok macrumors newbie

So, if Apple is having this event on the 26th when will they announce it? I assume they would want journalists at such an important event and inviting them might be a good way of getting them there...

19. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I hope Apple takes down the store on the 26th, and when it comes back up, change nothing. :) Set everyone in a frenzy for nothing.

20. akadmon macrumors 68020

Who is "everyone"? Not everyone is "everyone".

21. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

I was with the insider until he said "17" gets LED". Well there simply aren't any notebooks shipping with 17" LED screens. I brought this up in another thread.

22. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Just like the "outrage" over moving to Intel, various name changes for products (MacBook, etc.), you'll get over it and like it.

23. hanne macrumors newbie

I had macbook earlier, which basically has the same keyboard as MBA, and I didn't like it.. I didn't get over it, and still don't like it!

And about the name changes - What's in a name? ;) :apple: can call it whatever they like, I don't care about names - just leave the MBP keyboard alone :D

24. Tycoonguy macrumors regular

The only real proof I'v seen is that apple is rumored to have an announcement
    on the 26th.