Why is iphone 5 showing tether data with hotspot off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by black743, Sep 22, 2012.

1. black743, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

black743 macrumors 6502

I don't have my hotspot turned on at all, yet I'm showing "tether data" now all of a sudden in my usage setting.

What's going on and how do I stop?

2. black743 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got off the phone with Verizon, who verified that no hotspot was setup. There is some crazy bugs in the usage counters in ios6, because mine is showing data counts for both columns and I never saw that one until a while ago.

3. beckyh macrumors newbie

My new iphone 5 is doing the same thing. I have spent hours on the phone with Verizon (they are telling me it's not happening), but it's showing up under my usage as "Tether Data". It even goes up when I'm just talking on the phone.

I also have contacted Apple regarding this, and they told me they have not heard of this happening. I took it for a genius appointment, they worked on it for a long time (resetting, etc.), but could not figure out why it was doing that.

They proceeded to give me a new iphone to hopefully fix the problem. Same thing is happening on my new one.

Contacted Verizon again saying it must be a problem on their end, but they say it's not and are not helpful at all.

Not happy- have just been keeping cellular network off because the tethering is eating all my data even though I don't even have a hotspot set up!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....