Why Is Israel Afraid?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Felasco, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Felasco Guest

Ok, this is a real question, not a point.

Israel is a nuclear power which has proven again and again that it can defeat the entire Arab world on the field of battle.

Why is Israel so afraid of the Palestinians?? Why not just treat them like any other Arab country? Why not get out of the West Bank and Gaza, and allow the Palestinians to have their homeland. If Palestine attacks Israel at some point, go back in and kick their butts.

The other Arab countries have learned not to mess with Israel. Why can't the same pattern be applied to Palestine, a much weaker community?

2. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

That depends how long the US keeps supporting Israel, or if the Russians decide Iran needs nukes. Or more planes and tanks.

Its about racism and slow genocide to whatever the world will tolerate.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That will never happen politically, even though a large portion of civilians on both sides want that.

A full blown out war would basically look like a massacre to the rest of the world. Otherwise Isreal would have been declared war. Isreal will have to suffer it's own 9/11 level of attack in order to gain a complete justification for full war.

4. Felasco thread starter Guest

If true, how is this in Israel's interest? Is it your point that they are irrational?

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Most likely. This member has a disproportionate bias against Israel. Hard to get a non-biased opinion from him on this issue.

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes

[​IMG]

" Hey man! Lets go out and have a picnic on lawnchairs, drink some beers and watch kids and women get killed "

7. Felasco thread starter Guest

Why is it politically advantageous to do what many or most don't want?

That's my point. It would be a massacre. So why fear the Palestinians so much?

As example, Egypt is far more powerful than the Palestinians, but Israel doesn't fear Egypt. I'm sure the Israelis have plans in place for defeating Egypt if necessary, but they don't feel the need to occupy Egypt to prevent a potential future attack, even though Egypt has attacked them on three different occasions.

I guess the question is, how does occupying and controlling Palestine help Israel? Doesn't that occupation give Israel's biggest enemies a great story to tell?

----------

Another example, Lebanon. Hezbollah is a sworn enemy of Israel, with backing from Iran. And Lebanon is right next door.

But Israel doesn't occupy Lebanon, and instead relies on deterring Hezbollah via a credible ability to launch an extreme response to any attack.

Why are the Israel's confident of their ability to deter Hezbollah, but apparently so afraid of the Palestinians that they have to occupy and control Palestine for decades?

I honestly don't get it, and am not trying to make a case for or against any party to these conflicts.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Aren't you sick of recycling this photo yet? You're like Arn with horrible iWatch mockups on the front page. Funny how you never post about Hamas atrocities against the Palestinian people. If it were Muslims in that photo doing something bad, you'd be jumping on the person who posted it bitching and moaning about how they're stereotyping all Muslims. Your one sidedness is so blatantly obvious. You know what that's called? PROPAGANDA (perhaps mixed with a hint of racism)

9. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Because religion/politics.

10. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Because many religious extremists make up large parties of the government and these government parties are responsible for political decisions and political policies. Look at the newly elected President. He is a hard liner himself and so was his father which is why they picked him over Peres. The ones that get the positions in the government are usually the more extreme right wingers. How can peace exist with 2 states when so many extremists exist within the government parties??

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Israel is in the unenvious position of being in conflict with a whole population, it doesn’t matter how many time they win, they just must never lose.
    The major problem they have is the whole world is watching, and the actions that the state of Israel uses against civilians has eroded the international support.

This fight for survival means there can be no end until one side gives up. This state of semi war is going to go on and on for maybe another hundred years. The Palestinian’s have nothing to lose they have nothing, they cannot even leave the area.
    The Israeli’s have a reasonable standard of living, and most of the citizens of Israel have a second passport. It really depends if in the future a generation of Israeli’s decide, it would be better to leave and live in peace, they alone have this possibility.

But peace is never going to just happen, Israeli/Palestinian question has a chance to become the South Africa of the 21st Century.

12. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I don't think the problem is Israel fearing the Palestinians. Israel would be happy to just go on with life, but that is kind of hard to do when your next door neighbor keeps lobbing unguided rockets into your civilian population and hiding those rockets in schools.

Kind of like a mosquito....I don't fear them but they keep picking at me and picking at me until I can't take it anymore and start carpet bombing the back yard.

You say Israel doesn't fear Egypt but you also don't see Egypt hiding rocket batteries in schools and shooting them at Israel.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Why does Hamas keep firing rockets into Israel? Why not leave Israel alone and get on with their lives?

Yesterday, as I was listening to the radio, I heard an informal spokesperson for Hamas talking. It didn't take long before the ultimate goal of the disappearance of Israel was put out there. "Sorry." I'm not in alignment with that goal.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

At some point, one side is going to have to endure a blow (many blows actually) and not give into retaliation.

This is the only way to stop the cycle of violent retribution.

It won't happen in my lifetime.

But it should.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How does one just get on with their lives when the country next door keeps tearing down your homes and forcing you to relocate? Israel continues to illegally make settlements, these aren't places that are empty, they are literally tearing down peoples homes to get rid of them.

16. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Not exactly your next door neighbor but more like your indoor neighbor as the Israelis are occupying Palestinian land and homes illegally. This is like someone occupying a part of your house and then complaining when the house owners start attacking you.It is not exactly your next door neighbor but more like indoor house owner that has a blockade on pretty much all doors going in and out of the house by the illegal house occupants.

Have you looked at it from their point of view to where you keep invading,occupying and blocking/restricting their movements until they could no longer take it? You make it sound as if you had done completely nothing and they are out after you for no justified reason. The UN resolutions speak for themselves. There are over 600 UN Resolutions of which Israel has violated in accordance with international law.

17. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Now you are re-writing history. Israel left Gaza in 2005, then Hamas took power and started attacking Israel. And continues to this day with one goal.....and it isn't peaceful relations.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm not in alignment with the destruction of Israel either. Or Palestine for that matter.

Likud, the leading Israeli party in the last Israeli election doesn't support a two state solution or a proper one state solution which makes they roughly equal with Hamas.

----------

What's the difference between Hamas not recognising Israel and Likud not recognising Palestine?

----------

Israel isn't really taking any blows at the moment and they are still engaging in violent escalation. That's the sad thing.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

20. Felasco thread starter Guest

Ok fair enough, but again, why occupy and control the West Bank and Gaza? As example, not occupying Gaza is in no way stopping Israel from invading Gaza in response to rocket fire.

Why not just have a policy which states that Israel will respond with overwhelming force to any attack from any of it's neighbors?

Why can't they have the same policy with Palestine that they have with all their other neighbors? That deterrent policy has been successful with all their other neighbors. Why can't it also be successful with Palestine, which would be the weakest country in the neighborhood???

Why not give the Palestinians something to lose, and take away the talking points of groups like Hamas?

Imagine that Israel gets completely out of the West Bank and Gaza, and allows the creation of Palestine. And then Israel turns to the Palestinians and says....

"Attack us from this territory, and we'll come back in and make you regret it."

Everybody knows that Israel can and will back up that threat.

----------

Because Israel controls access to Gaza. Little goes in or out of Gaza without Israeli approval. Would we accept it if some other country did that to us?

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

To further the question, why in the world does Israel require registration of every Palestinian birth in the occupied territories?

22. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I do not support HAMAS either, stop putting words into my house. I never said I did.

I do not support " Muslims " anymore than I support " flying spaghetti monster lovers "

I do not support Israel, who has basically started a war on civilians.

I am not a racist.

I would be just as horrified as I am not, if ANY country did this to its citizens, or those living right across its border.

I am not happy about the fact that, they have bombed a UN shelter.

----------

I guess they learned pretty well.

Its sick.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have to say although Israel's behaviour leaves much to be desired the Israelis aren't as bad as Hitler. They aren't killing Palestinian civilians at the same scale as the Holocaust.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree. Even though the casualty ratio is extremely high in Israel's favor, it's no where close to being a genocide.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how many BEFORE it is genocide?