Why is it assumed the Mini would be for those who can't afford the current iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PDFierro, Aug 31, 2012.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

There seem to be so many varying opinions on the rumored iPad Mini. Some think it's the worst idea ever, some think it's great, and some don't even think Apple will release it even though there is hard evidence out there.

This thing is going to sell so well, and obviously its main factor is that it will be cheaper, since we will have the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire to compare it to. But I disagree that it would only be for people who can't afford the current 9.7-inch iPad.

I can afford the current iPad, but I've been holding out on the iPad Mini. And I'm glad Apple won't be cutting any corners with it, but instead making it just a smaller iPad.

I'm in for whatever is the top-of-the-line model, assuming that is 64GB LTE. I think this will just be like how there are different sizes for the Macs, everybody will have a different use for each one.

Myself, I don't want the big iPad and all the advantages of the iPad Mini is what I want and that would be the perfect tablet for me.

Of course, whatever Apple decides to price the base model at, this thing will sell like crazy. But you will have a choice between a small or big iPad, so it shouldn't be looked at as simply a budget version.

2. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

It's not for people who can't afford the 9.7" iPad. :rolleyes: I'm sure some people will be in that position, but really, if someone is spending several hundred dollars on a toy, there's no reason the bigger iPad is out of that person's reach.

I already own a 3rd gen iPad, so I'm not all that concerned about the potential iPad mini. But it would be a cool addition to Apple's lineup. :D

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

It's about the size for me and not the price! I already have a lot of apple products from all iphone generation to all ipad generation, macbook, macbook air, mac mini ect....

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

In the current state of things, tablets are seen more as a luxury than a necessity. I would assume if you have the money to spare to spend the rumoured $299/$399 (or whatever the price will be) on an iPad mini, you could probably also afford the full sized iPad. Those people who buy the iPad mini would be those who prefer the smaller form factor.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

Not me - I'll buy one as it decreases the size of what I have to carry for presentations with a projector. I have presented with an Iphone/keynote, but it's a bit small when flipping slides. The mini would be perfect.

6. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Well...

There haven't been any assumptions that the iPad Mini is geared towards comsumers with less money. It's just a personal preference by some people, whether it is in fact cheaper or that it's simply more portable.

Also, we are unsure whether or not the iPad Mini will be a stripped version of the current iPad.

7. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

It is assumed as such because the Mini will, more than likely, be cheaper.

8. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member

Because other 7" tablet do?

Take google nexus 7 for example.

Yes, We need budget tablet from Apple.

9. number84 macrumors 6502

And you know this how? Already reports out there that it won't have retina. And I'm sure like any other Apple first gen product they will leave things out for future revisions. Plus to get to the price point everyone is thinking, they'll have to leave certain things out. But we won't know for sure until its announced.

10. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

A smaller iPad with sacrifices that have to be made, yes. I was referring to not offering something very basic, ala Kindle Fire.

11. aleni macrumors 68020

Ipad 2 is for the people who want the cheaper option! Please apple don't compromise on performance because i don't need a cheaper ipad but i really want the smaller size!

12. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I'm not sure that many people think it's for people who can't afford the larger ipads, do they? I would have thought that most people realise that price and affordability is just one a whole range of factors that people consider when choosing products.

13. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I think Apple is hoping to do two things.

1. Provide a smaller, more portable option for current customers who own an ipad but who would also contemplate buying a Nexus or Kindle for & there are many of them.

2. Provide a less costly entry point into the Apple ecosystem for a new generation of consumer. A lot of Tweens & teens might find an iPad mini under the tree this year. If you can get a 12 year old started on your product, chances are good you'll have a customer for life.

14. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

if the rumored ipad mini is based on the ipad 2, then it wouldn't be slow after all.
    sometimes the screen size is everything, I have a friend who can afford to buy 5 ipad 3 if he wanted to. but he doesn't see the point of the 10" ipad, cause he have an ultrabook. so the 7" would be the right choice for him.

15. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I hear the same argument in the MBP 13 v 15 debate. I always go for the 13 because I prefer that form factor over the larger model, not because I can't afford the 15.

16. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I also believe with the ongoing transformation from Apple into a consumer-oriented company they will to have a look on that the competitors charging. Of course there will always be an Apple premium on top. But the iPad Mini will start somewhere between 250 and 300 USD (maybe only with 8GB RAM).

But all the Nexus, Kindles and Surfaces will pull Apple in this direction. And keep the regular iPad more as cash cow.

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Though only time will tell, this has never been Apple's business model and I don't expect the most successful tech company on the planet to start lowballing prices now.

The Kindle is a device that only breaks even at $99, and Amazon makes all their profit on eBook sales. This will not affect Apple's price model at all.

18. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

The obvious answer is that most people will only buy one tablet. As such if a iPad mini exists, it will be for poorer people. Of course some will buy the cheaper one because it suites them but I think it's being built for the market share then the profitably of the unit. In other words, get even more people into the iTunes ecosystem. Problem is that other manufacturers are subsidizing the unit with sales from their respective content stores, if apple don't make much on iTunes, then they aren't using the same business model as the others are.

Still better to cannibalize yourself then to leave it to others in the market.

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Yeah cause a tablet with a quad core CPU and a 216 PPI IPS screen is budget. Not to mention it has stock untouched android. I have an iPad 2 and a nexus 7. I prefer the size of the nexus way more than the iPad. The software is superior in my opinion as well.

20. aleni macrumors 68020

Put 256mb of ram on the cheaper ipad, slow ass a4 processor, sell it for $200. Kids get angry because they can't even play games without crashing!

21. green tea macrumors member

if you're so concerned about people thinking you're too poor to afford the regular iPad, get a sticker with "i can afford a regular iPad too" and place it on the back or preferably the front of your iPad ;)

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I never thought much of the little tablets till I got the Nexus 7 and found I preferred the ease of handling and typing on it. Hoping the iPad mini offers specs comparable, but I doubt it.

23. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I think the current iPad is ideal for productivity, media consumption, etc.

I think the iPad Mini will make a great "nightstand" tablet to check news, or read a chapter or two of a good book before going to sleep. Might be a good game/entertainment system for the kids too.

I'm skeptical of getting real work done on a Mini (as typing will be difficult on the small screen.)

I use a Kindle Fire now and then, but the performance is pretty sluggish. I mean, even the Kindle App on iPad is much nicer than it. I would like a lighter, easier to hold iPad for reading -- and that's where I think the iPad Mini fits well.

24. dchao macrumors 6502a

Two comments:

1. People have iPads would have iPhones already. Most of them don't need yet another 7" tablet.

2. To make a less costly entry, they can simply cut the price of iPad 2, ther is no need to introduce a iPad mini for that.

25. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

What should it be assumed as such when the Mini will, more than likely, (also) be *smaller*? Should we still think price is the defining feature? :p