Why is it so hard just to copy photos to an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashin, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Love my iPhone, but this is my biggest gripe.

Can't just drag and drop photos in iTunes. If I use the "sync" it will delete every other photo.

Such a joke

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

I was thinking the same, and while Apple is trying and doing all to have really usable and great looking products this is such a fail for me.:confused:

4. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

How does that help me?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I usually just keep everything synced with iPhoto
    But I use the PhotoSync app on my Mac and iPhone for one-offs

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

I don't understand.

A sync means both copies are matched, so what's new on your iPhone will get copied (sync'd) to the specified Pictures folder on your computer and if you've got any new pics in the specified Pictures folder on your computer, they will get copied to your iPhone.

That's sync-ing in it's most basic form. :confused:

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

If you have a computer that can handle Photostream and iCloud it's as simple as dragging a picture into your Photostream folder (in Vista/Win7) or in iPhoto's Photostream section on the Mac (Lion or above)

This copies the pic or pics right over to your iPhone or iPad.

I rarely try to sync anything with iTunes anymore and now that I've got iTunes Match music isn't an issue either.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I drop my iPhone into the dock, I walk away, iTunes syncs the folders I want synced...

That's hard?

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apparently he doesn't want synced
    He wants one-offs

10. pblakk macrumors member

While an iPhone is plugged into a PC, say running Windows xp, the iPhone is available as a "USB device" in Windows explorer and you can see all of your camera roll photos in the respective folder immediately. You can copy or drag and drop these over to any folder on your PC but NOT vice versa as you would with any general USB. So basically the iPhone is not available as a standard mass storage device. Why this is done is probably merely by OS design. why? no clue.

11. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Literally want to add like 50 photos.

Why so hard?

Never had sync before for Photos, and seems adding it will delete everything

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

13. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Windows

Trying iCloud control panel now.

But nothing appears, does it need to be plugged into the wall? I'm just using wifi and plugged to computer

----------

Seems Photostream is slowly, but surely doing it.

Drag and drop like I could do with phones and cameras 5 years ago would have been nice

14. pblakk macrumors member

For syncing with iTunes, you have to set itunes to add the specific folder(s) where your photos are located, then sync your iPhone. So obviously you would have to create and remember a standard folder you desire to save your PC photos in since iTunes will already be pointed here for syncing newly added photos to your iPhone.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Ain't that the truth. I've found the setup of iCloud Control Panel to be anything but intuitive, rather the setup is easy but I've struggled to get things syncing even when everything looks like a go.

Good news is there's an iCloud Control Panel 2.0 being beta tested now so that should improve things.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Pictures are the thing that shouldn't be deleted when syncing with other machines unless specifically requested. It is a major fail on Apple's part not to include the ability to sync those one-off pictures from friends or family computers.

17. pblakk macrumors member

I'm with ya on that. All I'd used to do was drag and drop whatever the heck file I wanted to and or from my.......blackberry.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The short, but true, answer is you just won't get this, probably ever. It has been this way since the very first iPod. There was a tweak that could be loaded to early iPods (forgot the name) that gave you this functionality; I loved it. That tweak is no more, and has never been workable on iPhone, as far as I am aware.

19. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I use an app called Phone Drive. It allows me to send documents/PDFs/photos/etc to my phone through iTunes, bluetooth, or WiFi. If I'm at home, I prefer to just send it over WiFi that way I don't have to find my USB cable, mount, dismount, etc. Once they're sent over to my phone, I can open it in another app (i.e, Evernote, Camera+, Dropbox, etc.), or to save it to my camera roll.

20. pblakk macrumors member

So you're either locked into the ecosystem or.....you're out.

21. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

The app I mentioned above works with whatever type of computer/tablet/phone without any need for iTunes or the Apple ecosystem. Bluetooth sharing and Wifi sharing (even without actually being connected to an actual wifi network) are definite conveniences.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Does phone drive save media files in a way that they are accessible by the stock music/video players or are you forced into using whatever is built into phone drive?

23. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

For photos and documents, Phone Drive is excellent. But yes, Phone Drive uses its own media player for music/video.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

:(

Do photos make it to your camera roll then?