Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoopkitty

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
with iOS5 (i know there is no jailbreak yet, but when there is), what is there that would make it worth jailbreaking still? any specific apps that you use?

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Tether maybe? Mmm have icons wtv you like no in order? Colors of the letters , some other stud that I do not remember since I haven't jailbreak since 2010 lol

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
SBSettings is the only reason I need to jailbreak my iPhone, everything else is pure gravy :cool:

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
if you have to be told what you're missing then you're probably not missing anything :)

my daily frustrations are the download limits on 3g (3GUnrestrictor)
the lack of being able to link to a real navigation system (navigate from maps)
and the stupid splash screen that takes over my phone when i plug it into my car :mad:

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
with iOS5 (i know there is no jailbreak yet, but when there is), what is there that would make it worth jailbreaking still? any specific apps that you use?

I almost concur with the OP. I'm not too interested in modding the phone with different themes and stuff. The only thing I see is tethering and adblock w/ safari.

Anything that's REALLY important?

Will69

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011

There IS a jailbreak for ios5. I did it to my iPhone 4. It's tethered though.

Anyway I like SBSettings and the five icon dock. Also activator and the ability to use my flashlight with a simple push of the volume down button.

I can't wait for the jailbreak on the 4S, can't wait!

MiRod407

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Today me and my buddy were going to watch the new Grand Theft Auto 5 trailer and when it started playing it was horrible and grainy then I realized I was on a unjailbroken iPhone4S.

Right now I really miss 3G and seeing videos in high quality and downloading apps over 20mb on 3G.

Even if you don't like theming or adding functionality, jailbreaking is a great way to unleash the iPhone from its restrictions.

stoopkitty

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
This. If wireless tethering is the only functionality I get by jailbreaking, I will still do it. Tethering is that useful.

Wont AT&T find out about the tethering?
Also, does flash work well/do you use it? (frash)

----------

SBSettings is the only reason I need to jailbreak my iPhone, everything else is pure gravy :cool:

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011

----------

frash is crap, hasn't been developed in over a year. Skyfire and iSwifter are the ways to go if you want to use Flash on your iDevice, plus you don't need to jailbreak for them.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Sbsettings- cant believe apple hasn't incorporated shortcuts to settings..
Ie brightness , wifi , Bluetooth

Bite SMS
I hate having to leave n app and to open another app just to respond..

And I'm the first to admit it, but free apps..

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Right now with 4s I am missing:

- iBlacklist (the ability to block unwanted telemarketers right on the phone)
- 3G Unrestrictor (without it, the 20 Mb limit keeps rearing it's ugly head!)
- LockInfo (Even Apple's new notifications on the lock screen SUCK! They disappear after you unlock, and you can't display calendar appts or weather on the lock screen, only the notification centre.... so to see the weather which used to be 1 step for me - just turn on the screen - is now turn on the screen, swipe to unlock, and swipe down. It's a PITA! I'm actually using Siri to get weather on the lock screen now... but that's equally as time consuming... and yes 5 seconds vice 1 bothers me!)
- SBSettings (the ability to EASILY and quickly toggle things on and off in one convenient place, instead of navigating through different pages in the settings app to toggle something)

My BIGGEST pet peeve though without a JB is why can't Apple come up with a 'Today Screen' idea where ALL your pertinent info is available in one place, easily seen as soon as you turn the device on? Why do they insist on fragmenting all your info so you have to go into different apps to see it?? Notification centre is a step in the right direction... but you can't access it from the Lock Screen. :(

I'm very much awaiting the iOS5 JB release!

JFC

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I've seen some people post screen shots and instead of the carriers name there is something else written. I would like to get rid of AT&T and put my name.

Is this possible without jailbreaking?

TheComposer

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Question, why anybody mentions the obvious reason for jailbreaking? does it has to do with legal issues? Or Forum Rules? (You know what i'm talking about)

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
IntelliScreenX. It's still in beta and already I can't live without it. Such an amazing leap over Lockinfo.

I don't theme and My3G is the only other tweak I have.

Attachments

• photo (1).PNG
    photo (1).PNG
    552.4 KB · Views: 70

AlohaMaui

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
Jailbroke my previous iphone to unlock it.

This locking of carrier thing is dumb since they already make u sign a 2 year contract.
Guess they want u to use their overseas roaming and make big money out of it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
IntelliScreenX. It's still in beta and already I can't live without it. Such an amazing leap over Lockinfo.

I don't theme and My3G is the only other tweak I have.

I'm sure IntelliscreenX is swell and all, but that screenshot certainly doesn't show why.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Sbsettings is convenient.
Emulators and file managers are nice but I found were not getting used much.

IMO, it's not worth it giving up the security for a couple JB apps.

Used to be just for MyWi but now that feature is included in the phone
and free depending on the plan you have.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Frash work very well about a year ago. Now it barely works with any flash vids or flash sites. But it still seems to work flawless with flash ads, go figure.

I tried frash and wasn't impressed. (when it first came out).

I prefer to use use skyfire browser when I need flash videos. That usually works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.