Why is it that it seems that all super religious people are the...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Oct 18, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

The happiest people you'll ever meet?

This isn't another waloshin thread this us a serious question that I wondered about for years.

2. Queso macrumors G4

So you've never been to Northern Ireland then? The super-religious people there are all super-angry.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

They often aren't. They cover up the things they're unhappy about with a bunch of forced repetition of empty religious talk. In the South it's pretty well understood that in many contexts "God bless you" means "f- you." When you see those weirdly happy-acting people, like they just aren't having normal reactions to the world, that's what you're getting: an act. They usually won't realize it's an act, because they've been raised or conditioned to see that act as normal or proper behavior. They're bottling up a lot.

Me, I was never more genuinely happy, or more relieved, than when I gave all that nonsense up.

6. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There is something to be said for surrendering your fate to God.

As a Buddhist, we don't do it quite the same way (don't believe in God) but lessening one's intentional striving is one path to a happier life.

It makes sense to me that other religious folk have found a way to tap into that.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Philippians 4:6-7

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

See? :D

I hear surrendering to Allah is a big part of Islam.

I'll bet they're happy folk too. :)

10. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Everyone surrenders to something. Whether it be their god, their job or in your case the idea of bodhi and eventual Nirvana.

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It makes sense. Surrendering to a god or whatever takes the pressure off. It also explains why many religious people are so defensive about their beliefs. They don't want to give up their "drug." But jumping off of what Gelfin said, some of it is fake happiness or a thin veneer.

13. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Fixed that for you. :)

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Other studies have shown that it's the non-theistic aspects of religion that make people happier: community, meditation, personal reflection, support. None of this requires that you follow a particular religion or believe in anything supernatural.

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

As 5P pointed out, I don't think that's necessarily true. Studies have also shown that religious people are often more generous in giving to charity, which can also be directly correlated to happiness and self-worth.

Of course, you can point out the real or perceived self-delusion that you feel that takes place in a religious person, but you would also be encumbered with proving that the same lack of knowledge does not exist in an agnostic or atheistic person. There may yet be chains restraining all of us that we are not aware of. It's all about the perception of free will and reality.

I don't see any of these as specifically relating to religion aside from meditation. They're all integrated into human culture.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Nice, Kool-Aid with words. No taste, less filling.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

GBS said exactly what I was going to say, but so much better. :)

18. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Actually, a quote from the Holy Bible. Less non-sense, more truth.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, I got that. :rolleyes:

I will pass on the "more truth" comment though.

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes but as is often the case the religious community provides a more rigorous framework to enable these things. Individual skeptics have to get off their lazy asses and enable them themselves. The inertia can be great in many cases.

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

So, you're then arguing that religion is good for humanity in that it inspires community, personal reflection and a support structure above and beyond what can be accomplished in a secular society?

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

There are surprisingly positive aspects to it. As a society, however, there is nothing stopping us from setting up secular organizations to provide those same positive aspects. Many do exist now it's just a matter of having the will to find them without the brow-beating that many religions do.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Religion has good aspects and bad aspects.

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Is it possible to get the same membership and participation rates, though?

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Given a suitable secular equivalent of hellfire, probably. :)