Why is it when I put my palm on the left side of the rMBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuserjohnny, Aug 26, 2012.

1. theuserjohnny, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I feel it sort of indent? It dosen't make any sort of noise but when I place my left palm on it I can't help but feel as if it bends in and touch something.

Based on the rMBP construction its under the battery... so is it just because the casing is just expanding and such from heat/cool down.

Again, its not going to warrant me exchanging this just wanted to know if there was an explanation for it. It only happens every now and then and it dosen't consistently happen when I place my palms there. This is my first time owning a Macbook with the aluminum enclosure.

EDIT: It's as if when I place my palm there it creates sort of the same feeling you get from clicking on the trackpad it just dosen't make a large clicking noise nor dose it compress that far down into the body of the palm area.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just pressed really hard on my computer. It didn't make any creaks or clicking sounds as your described.

3. theuserjohnny, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah mine dosen't make any sounds but compresses down and touches something... I guess its hard to explain. I must be missing a battery cell under that area :p

And I'm trying to press really hard right now within the area that I'm having it but its not doing it. So I'm not sure what the hell is going on. I'm just going to assume it has to be heat related with the enclosure expanding and such from it.

And when I press it to have it happen you don't see anything actually bend or compress but you can sure as hell feel as if something is up.

Again it dosen't happen consistently but I'm just seeing if maybe there is an explanation for it?

4. theuserjohnny, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh so I was doing some detective work and rather than putting pressure on the top of the case I put pressure on the bottom of the case and when I press hard enough the case flexes and I'm touching the battery and it happens on both sides.

So what I've concluded is that its just possible that I might apply a tad much pressure when placing my palm and it causes the bottom to flex from hitting thigh when placed on my lap.

It only occurs on my lap or on a soft surface like my bed.

EDIT: It seems that I think my rMBP just needs the screws to be tightened more because when I push down on the back I can see that the backplate pushes also as if its not in all the way. I think that's what my problem is hence why when I'm on a flat hard surface I can't seem to reproduce the issue.