Why is Lion telling me files (e.g. Movies and Pictures) are Applications?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by todd2000, Nov 1, 2011.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So Im trying to sort through all my old files and get rid of what I don't need, and I have noticed a few times, I click to open a movie file .avi in this case, or some pictures .jpegs, and Lion tells me "The file xxxxx.jpeg is an application downloaded from the internet would you like to open this file etc..."

I know the pictures are safe they are not applications or a virus or anything they are from a birthday party, but it insists on bugging me to "open" every image int he folder.

Any ideas why it is telling me things are applications when they aren't?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure that's the result of a badly mis-worded dialog box; I've seen the same thing with HTML files, and I'm pretty sure that what's actually happening is files that could theoretically contain malicious code (for example, a malformed AVI that attacks an unpatched bug in QT Player) are triggering the same warning dialog as downloaded applications.

The flag seems more touchy than it used to, and perhaps unnecessarily so, so I assume that's what you're seeing. It could be something else, though.