Why is location based DND schedules not a thing yet?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by andyp350, Oct 1, 2017.

1. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

It seems like such an easy and simple thing to implement that could have a lot of uses. I’d love to be able to set DND to automatically become active when I am at the gym and a few other places. Granted it’s hardly the most difficult thing to do manually but it would be a nice touch to automate it for frequently visited places where you don’t want to get alerts.

2. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Yep it would be easy to do as geofencing is already baked in. The gym, the library, the classroom, symphony hall...I can think of lots of uses, and could save embarrassment too.

3. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed. What id also love in the future was if places like theatres and cinemas etc could have nfc chips in the seats or something that force your phones to be in DND while you’re in there. I’m yet to go the theatre without having to tell at least one person off for being on their phone. One of my biggest pet hates!

4. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I don't like the idea of "forcing" it on people, but if they already have location DND on it would be a nice idea

5. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Their phones would be silenced, but it wouldn't keep them from using the phone, with that bright rectangle shining in the dark theatre as they're texting their BFF during that crucial scene.

That's the point when you dump the large popcorn on their head.

6. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose you’re right. It wouldn’t solve the problem at all. One of my proudest moments was when I conviscated a lady’s iPad when I saw Miss Saigon in London. She was trying to film the whole show on it which is both illegal and distracting to the rest of the audience and the performers. I gave it back during intermission.

7. EricandSuebee macrumors member

The only thing I like about android is the fact they have automatic DND built into the calendar, so if I put in a event lets say meeting from 12-2, my phone goes into DND automatically when the calendar senses its 12 and will automatically come off at 2:01. I still don't understand why this isn't a standard option in iOS yet.

8. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That makes perfect sense, didn’t realise Android did that. Could definately do with that in iOS.

9. RedGT macrumors member

RedGT

Yes that sounds very clever......I suppose we’ll get that in iOS 14.2 :)

10. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

That undoubtedly makes you several levels of obnoxious more than the lady using the iPad. It also makes you a bully because you wouldn't dare try the same thing on someone twice your size.

If you have a problem report it to theatre staff.

11. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

DND could be expanded in so many ways, it’s a real shame it has barely been touched since it was introduced, what, 5 years ago?

Just a few ideas (recurring on forums like this over the years)

- location based
    - more complex schedules (eg weekends, monthly patterns)
    - calendar integration
    - bypass for messages and third party message apps (not just phone calls, though I appreciated the addition of third party voip apps)

12. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great suggestions. As previously discussed calendar integration would be massively helpful.
    I also like the idea of bypass for certain apps/contacts etc rather than just the option for phone calls.
    There’s definitely a lot of room to expand upon the DND features, let’s hope iOS12 implements some of them.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    A number of posts were removed as they were derailing the thread. Please stay on topic