Why is McCain Afraid to Debate?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by voxnj, Sep 25, 2008.

1. voxnj macrumors regular

He seems to want to avoid debating Obama. Where is the fearless fighter?

2. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I would say this is a stretch to make a comment like this. He has clearly stated that he feels the priority should be getting the bail out package completed. He is still a senator and has a job to do.
    However, due to each party taking every opportunity to dig the other, the Obama campaign will certainly hype this up.

I mean come on. The guy spent 5 years in a prison camp. Do you honestly think he is afraid to debate someone?

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what a stupid sentence.....

there is important work that needs to be done as guess what...he is still a senator at the moment and that has responsibilities.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Him? No, but his advisors? Yes.

5. voxnj thread starter macrumors regular

Based on his performance today, he seems to have derailed the bail out plan.

And while the entire Nation owes him a debt of gratitude for his suffering during the Vietnam War, his experience does not suggest that he would be a good debater or president.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This will end up in the PRSI forum.

Give me a break. McCain did this for no other reason than to try and help his faltering campaign. This crisis is several weeks old. Last Monday, he was telling us the fundamentals of the economy are strong. On Tuesday, we were in an economic crisis. If this was so important, why did he wait so long to go back to Washington? Only when he dipped dramatically in the polls did he pull this stunt.

And please stop with the POW card already. It is immaterial.

7. voxnj thread starter macrumors regular

He is also a candidate for President and has an obligation to the nation to articulate his views and demonstrate that his is worthy of a vote.

Even the Fox McNews team believes that avoiding the debate is a political tactic that has nothing to do with an actual need not the spend a couple of hours debating.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Then why has he missed 65% of the votes in the current session?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

jeeze all i said is that there is a huge bailout bill that congress is working on right NOW that will affect our country immensely...for better or worse, and that as a senator, its his job to work on it

i hardly call postponing the debates out of line....he's not canceling them...

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The only job he has is to vote on it or not. and i beleive you can do that even if you are not physically in DC right?

Anyone that actually beleives he is contributing to this plan in any way other than putting his face on it is a fool.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Why is McCain afraid to debate?

Because he knows that he will look like the old senile forgetful man he is when he is forced to debate a young intelligent guy. He will be way out-classed at the debates, and he is trying to keep is sinking campaign afloat as long as he can.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wow i dont know what to say to that. believe what you want apparently

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

And you keep on believing that McCain was sincere in his sudden desire to go back to DC and do his job despite him missing an incredible amount of votes this entire session.

The rest of the country will see it for what it is: a cheap political ploy to gain on Obama, who has taken off in the polls since the financial crisis.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

1) Maybe he has a real excuse for that day.
    or
    2) Would you want to go against a Harvard professor in a debate being projected to lose badly as for debates while states are slipping in Obama's direction (fivethirtyeight and elctoral-vote both show Obama's steady gains) Obama taught Constitutional law so he knows government and can trap McCain on issues including unconstitutional moves he has made in his long, but controversial Senate career.

If McCain could use his distinguished navy career as part of his policy record, it would help him, but as it is, most of us want to know what McCain could do for us right now and for the next four years. People also want to know what he may have done for us as a Senator in the last few years. Anyway you slice it, it does not look good for him, especially since he chose an inexperienced running mate when he had so many solid choices like Huckabee, Romney, Whitman, and even Newt for gosh-sakes to rally support in his own party.

McCain's best 11th hour chance is to avoid debates and work the TV ad crusade. That's what I would do in his situation. Nobody is going to call him a chicken since he outlived the Hanoi Hilton.

McCain does great commercials but in an unscripted situation like a debate, he is really at odds with himself. Obama can beat McCain in a debate, and guess what, McCain can beat himself every time he opens his mouth in a fluid, unscripted situation.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Dont forget he waited an entire week before he decided it was suddenly dire enough for him to put in his (admittidly limited) financial say.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And also, by putting his face on this plan, could make him out to be an elitist.

Think about it. With as many votes for bills that he has missed/not been present for, yet has to be there for this one, it can make one believe that the other bills weren't important enough, yet this one IS. For example, a bill which passed that would protect rape/sexual assault victims from HIV/AIDS and other STDs isn't important enough for him to show up, but bailing out Wall Street is.

Says a lot about him, and not in a good light.

BL.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

See the thing is, this debate is on foreign policy, thats all anyone thinks mccain has on obama. He should be able to mop the floor with him. then again hes demonstrated quite a few times taht his foreign credentials are extremely overexaggerated.

18. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    As Former President Clinton said in a recent interview with Matt Laurer, McCain is clearly NOT afraid to debate. In my personal opinion, all this gimmickry was another hail-mary-pass to change the dynamics of the election. Result? EPIC FAIL. --And the "Palin Pass" still has the jury out. I'm hearing word however that with extra press coverage "testimony", they're coming close to reaching a decision. Doesn't look like a positive one either.

~ CB

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

actually, his job is not nor has ever been "to work on it". he is not, nor he has ever been in the right committee, because he doesn't have the credentials.
    his job would be to vote on it. and it doesn't require him to duck the debates to vote.

it was an obvious Hail Mary. a purely and transparent political move to divert the attention from all the negative press his campaign was getting.
    i don't think he is afraid to debate, but his problem was much bigger than this delay and he needed some sort of game-changer.

the funniest part is that they are seeking to suspend/delay also the VP debate (and campaign as well). I am sure that sen Dodd (who is the one in charge of the plan from the congress side) can't wait to hear her input on the crisis.

20. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Why Palin is afraid to debate :

From the interview of her with Katie Couric :

COURIC: You've said, quote, "John McCain will reform the way Wall Street does business." Other than supporting stricter regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago, can you give us any more example of his leading the charge for more oversight?

PALIN: I think that the example that you just cited, with his warnings two years ago about Fannie and Freddie--that, that's paramount. That's more than a heck of a lot of other senators and representatives did for us.

COURIC: But he's been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

PALIN: He's also known as the maverick though. Taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about--the need to reform government.

COURIC: I'm just going to ask you one more time, not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation?

PALIN: I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.

21. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

22. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    He was right then too. Right now... this is the first debate, and McCain threw everything up in the air, risking all of the investments made by the organizers, only to ruin efforts at completing a bipartisan agreement at the Capitol. The debate should have gone on. Back when Obama called an end to new debates in the primaries, it was after the universally panned ABC debate with George Stephanapoulos... after well over a dozen debates between democratic candidates. I think everyone can agree on a stark difference here.

~ CB

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If he can't handle preparing for a two hour debate and the current financial crisis what is he going to do when he's handed two wars and the economy on January 20th? Will he always be ignoring 2 out of those three priorities since he obviously cannot mutlitask? What happens if he has anything else that requires the president's attention?

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Who is the Harvard professor that you refer to?

25. stevegmu macrumors regular

Yes, of course, members of Congress are allowed to phone their votes in. :)