Why is my ad hoc AirPort faster than my wifi router for transferring files?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lawlist, Nov 16, 2010.

1. lawlist macrumors member

I would think that my Belkin N1 wireless router would be much faster than my ad hoc AirPort created with the Mac Pro desktop for transferring files over ssh to/from the iphone using ForkLift for Mac. However, the router wifi averages 77kbs whereas the ad hoc averages 1mb/s. My ad hoc is substantially faster, and I don't understand why that is. Should I start fiddling with the router settings, or is that just the way things are supposed to be? I have Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and a jailbroken iphone 4.1. Thanks for any advice on increasing the file transfer speeds.

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Call up your ISP and ask them what your paying for. When they say like 5mbps or 3mbps say... Well im not even getting 1. Theyw ill bump you for about a month then u call again. rinse and repeat.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

There's a few things I can think of. There's overhead in your router transmitting and receiving to it's clients. You probably have your wireless encrypted (I hope!) but maybe the Ad-Hoc network wasn't or uses an inferior encryption scheme to your Belkin N1? Where is your N1? Is it down the hall or in a closet? If so, that could be a difference too as the Ad-Hoc might be on more of a line of sight or next to each other?

I'm not sure what an ISP has to do with transferring files on your local network. :)

4. lawlist thread starter macrumors member

Upgrading the firmware to the routher increased the speed.

Upgrading the firmware to the router SUBSTANTIALLY increased the transfer speed. The next step may be to buy an Airport Extreme base station wireless router. However, I just discovered how to ssh over usb with a python command -- so that may become the new method to transfer files to / from the iPhone.