Why is my email being deleted from my iMac when I delete it on my iOS device?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sundawg56, Dec 8, 2015.

1. sundawg56 macrumors newbie

I would like the email messages to stay on my iMac after deleting them from my iPhone 6s. What changes can I do to correct this. I use gMail.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

It's working as designed, if you set it up as an IMAP account. Try setting it up as a POP account, if that's not the desired behavior.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4421077?start=0&tstart=0

C

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This.

The difference between IMAP and POP is that IMAP allows you to sync email across devices. Delete an email on one device it's deleted on all. Send an email from one device it shows as sent from all. Receive an email on one device you receive it on all. No running around trying to make your accounts the same on every device.

POP email accounts store their mail locally with no regard to any other device. If you delete an email on that device it only deletes on that device.

However, POP email plays first come first served whenever it comes to receiving email. If you receive an email on your iMac but not on your iPhone it won't go to your iPhone. If you receive email on your iPhone it won't go to your iMac. POP email does not sync across devices.

So if you really want to switch to POP keep in mind that your email will go directly to whatever device downloads it first and not to any other device after that. It will exist on one device only.

4. sundawg56 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess what gets me is that it has always worked the way I liked until I downloaded El Capitan and, at the same time, I purchased the new iPhone 6s. Since then if I delete an email on the iPhone it deletes the email on my iMac, something, like i said prior, it had never done before. BTW..no changes were made to the Mail account.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Interesting. Could be something to do with the Mail app itself then, IDK.

I use Entourage 2008/IMAP on my PowerPC Macs and Outlook 2011/IMAP on my Intel Macs so I really would not have a clue as to where the differences in the Apple Mail app (I used it ONCE in 2003 for a short while) lie between versions of OS X.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps you had things configured to archive instead of delete when you were "deleting" them on the phone, while now it's actually configured to delete?

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

We can only guess how you had it set up. POP accounts can be different but if you were set up as POP I imagine Gmail's version was downloading messages once to every device for you.

The default at Gmail is IMAP and actions on your device are instructions to the server. All IMAP configured devices are reading what the current state is at the server.