Why is my MBP waking from sleep with my external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blairh, Mar 23, 2009.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Hey guys,

So I've been using my MBP with my new ACD in clamshell mode and things have been going smoothly. Except when I attempt to disconnect the MBP. I am following the steps provided by Apple (put the Mac to sleep mode via the external, wait for both monitor and MBP to go to sleep, then disconnect the cables from the MBP).

I always disconnect the DVI cable first because in the past, if I started to unplug the firewire or usb plug it would automatically wake up and the screen would pop up on the external monitor. So I've been doing the DVI cable first, and that works fine, but as soon as I unplug the usb or firewire cables it wakes up again. It doesn't show up on my external because the DVI plug is already out, but the MBP is out of sleep mode and makes that sound when it wakes up, just with the lid closed.

Everything still works fine. I can open the lid even after all this and I'm good to go. But I'm just annoyed that it wakes from sleep after pulling said cables. Am I doing something wrong? It's annoying because if I want to go to bed, I have to once again open the lid after all this and shut it for it to sleep again. Not the end of the world but I'd like for the MBP to remain in sleep mode once I start pulling cables out of it from the ACD.

Any thoughts?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The only solution would be to remove the USB cable before putting the computer to sleep. USB is an active connection so when you add or remove devices, it wake up the computer. Firewire is passive, so it doesn't do that. You could also remove the external monitor with the computer open and awake, then the screen on the MBP would activate, then close the lid and put it to sleep.

TEG

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I'm going to try removing the usb cable before putting the monitor to sleep. Thanks!