Why is my "other" bar at 6GB!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by APPLEFAN8, Mar 13, 2013.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I don't understand how to get it lower. I've tried everything but restoring it. What is contained in the other bar? Thanks

2. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

When my 32GB is freshly restored it has exactly 838mb of other storage, that was alittle over a month ago. Over time it'll build up, now I'm 1.83GB of other. Not that I keep a constant tab over it, but when I feel it gets way too high I'll restore and put my apps/contacts back on it. But one of the reasons I got a 32gig is so I wouldn't have to worry about space that often.

As far as what the data is? I'm not exactly sure, app caches would be counted under App Data, and texts, emails, and notes don't take up much data. Other is just that, other system junk I guess.

3. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

It's most likely caches and system junks. Your mms photos from the messaging app count as "others" as well

If you had an iOS 6 version under 6.1, there was a bug that even if you deleted the picture from the messaging app, the picture was still stored on your phone

The only way to remove these files legitly is to restore and start brand new. If you restore from backup, it'll restore these files

On the other hand, if you're jailbroken, you can access your phone's file system like on a windows and just delete those mms .jpg files and what not

4. CharismaticNerd macrumors regular

CharismaticNerd

Do you know exactly where the .jpg files are stored?

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

You would need to jailbreak but it is stored in /var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments

Attachments is the folder where all the mms pictures are stored

Are you jailbroken?

For the most part, "other" is not something you can delete. iOS is just bad at cleaning up junk files. Like, it should be deleting them but it doesn't properly delete them and over time, it builds up

Unless your music are showing up at other for some reason. If you suspect that, unsync and resync your music library

6. CharismaticNerd macrumors regular

CharismaticNerd

Deleted that last night, and used icleaner as well, Go Jailbroken iPhones!

7. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Yes, I was going to suggest using iCleaner if you were jailbroken :p

It's very good at removing caches and the like