Why is next years ipad pro 9.7 rumoured to be a “low cost” option?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Oct 2, 2016.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Surely 9.7 is the sweet spot for many people? Why are rumours saying this will be the low cost option? Are they meaning just because it’s smaller or that it will miss certain features the rumoured 10.5 and 12.9 will have?

Seems odd to me as I would think 9.7 will be the most popular option out of all of the potential ipad lineups.

2. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

Maybe there is a 9.7 that will be watered down in terms of build materials like how the iPhone 5C was?

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Not exactly sure. The 9.7 Pro will have its one year anniversary in March. Which, would have the 12.9 due for a refesh. I guess we will know more when we approach March 2017.

4. RedOrchestra Suspended

Post a link to those rumours, would ya'?

5. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

6. RedOrchestra, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

7. bufffilm, Oct 2, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

What is so hard to understand?

The Pro 9.7 will become the cheapest Pro model (price unchanged...maybe $50-75 drop eventually) and the upcoming 10.5 will be the mid-tier model.

There is not going to be an Air3...the Air2 is the last of the line. At some point, it will go away.

Apple is going to push the 10.5" hard next year.

8. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

it's hard to understand if it is missing features. If it's lower just because of size then of course thats acceptable.

9. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

New iPad Pro 9.7" replacement will be a 10.5", 2732 x 2048, 326ppi. Thus the 9.7" iPad will be the old lower priced option.

Check the math, it fits. It also fits Apple's history perfectly in that they can increase the pixel density without adding more work for developers with a new screen resolution. And it will absolutely rock.

10. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

If this was the case Apple would have increased the ppi on the larger 12.9 pro which still remains at 264 ppi the same as all new iPads in the past few years......no one knows the specs of the new iPads so assumptions are null and void.....

11. rGiskard, Oct 2, 2016

rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

Huh? The larger iPads have always had lower pixel density due to the difficulty in getting reasonable LCD yields on such large panels. It makes no sense at all that Apple would go to 326ppi on the 12.9" iPad before the smaller 9.7". Don't expect such high pixel density on the 12.9" iPad for at least two or three more years.

There was just a rumor recently about a new 10.5" iPad in the works. The analyst who reported it couldn't make sense of it but if you do the math then 10.5" is exactly the size required for a 326ppi 2732 x 2048 display. Using such a display means little extra work for developers since what is already designed for the IPP will work on it.

The remaining question is if Apple keeps the 7.9" Mini or if they make the 9.7" iPad the new mini for a lineup of 9.7" 10.5" 12.9". 9.7" and 10.5" seem too close to me so my guess is they keep the iPad mini, but it wouldn't surprise me if they axed it.

12. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

There is no mention of overall dimensions. So perhaps Apple intends to significantly reduce bezel size.

If they do, then it is conceivable that the 10.5" could be very close in size to the current 9.7" and the 9.7" could be shrunk down to near the mini size.

If they do that then there is much less of a use case for the mini.

I like having choices. But the iPad mini is getting squeezed by the iPhone plus and the iPad Pro.

13. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Okay, the conversation will get us no where until Apple actually releases these so-called upcoming iPads.......thanks

14. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

Oh dear, I've done it again. I've made educated guesses about future Apple hardware at MacRumors.com!

15. Danilo - Italy macrumors regular

I agree 100%. It is also possible that the new 1O.5 will have the same external size but with less margin around the screen.

16. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Eh, the idea of having both the 9.7 and 10.5 screens seems a bit odd to me. It feels more like you might see the Pro 9.7 replace the Air 2, and the "New" Pro 10.5 and 12.9 be the "current hotness". Especially because as Danilo points out, you can probably get to 10.5" without changing the size of the device much. Do that, and you will get me on board. The main reason I didn't like the 12.9" is the physical size, but I will accept a larger screen if it isn't adding too much bulk to the current 9.7" form factor.

17. addictzz macrumors 6502

any love for 7.9" iPad?

I am currently using Mini 4 and I enjoyed it a lot. No complaints at all! I am so used to it that anything beyond 8" feels awkward to my hand now. Is there any rumour on upgraded spec of 7.9" form factor? If there is a good trade-off deal on it, I would want to get it.

18. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Fair point, if the new size is 10.1 or 10.5 then I will certainly get it and I guess this size is more for the in between for the 12.9 and those who want smaller than 10.5 or 10.1 or whatever the size will be can go for 7.9.

19. millydog macrumors regular

millydog

I think that the iPad Pro 9.7" will be replaced by a new iPad Pro 10.5" and the iPad Pro 12.9" will be replaced by a new iPad Pro 12.9". Then the iPad Air 2 will remain as the low cost option. The current iPad Pro 9.7" is not a low cost device. I think that the Air 2 is more like the iPad 2 in that it will stick around for a few more years as the low cost, but very capable, iPad.
    This gives 9.7" in the Air 2, 10.5" in the smaller Pro and 12.9" in the larger Pro. The latest models would then be 10.5" and 12.9", but the low cost option is still available at 9.7".
    7.9" is a handy size for reading, handbags, travel and kids. I have both the larger Pro iPads and passed the mini 2 to my daughter. I do really like the size though and would love to get a 256GB one with true tone, better cameras and pencil support. It is overkill though and probably feel guilty for having 3 iPads. It would make an awesome eBook reader and travel companion though. I think I'm trying to justify buying it already.

20. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think that's very possible. Apple kept selling the iPad 2 after the iPad 4 and even the iPad Air were introduced, so it makes sense for them to keep the Air 2 and a new 9.7" model while discontinuing the current 9.7" model.

It's funny how the third-generation models are always discontinued (iPad 3, iPad mini 3, now possibly the what-would-have-been iPad Air 3).

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Maybe it is just me but making a new iPad with a screen only 1" larger than the 9.7 makes little sense to me unless they plan to get rid of the 9.7 in the future. I would still buy the 10" unit over the 12.9 as it is too big to carry for me.

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Creates a hierarchy engendering envy that pushes many to pay up for the "premier" options over "budget" ones, regardless of functional difference.

23. Heat_Fan89 macrumors regular

It also has a different effect where people just don't buy anything. Hence, why Steve was a proponent of keeping the product line as simple as possible. Gone are the days of you want an iPhone here it is. Today, it's you want an iPhone, we have a iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus. Hell even I have lost track of all the different models they sell. Are they still selling the 4" iPhone? I even forget what they were calling it. Then you get to choose colors and storage size. Lots of decisions in the purchase.

24. JulianL macrumors 65816

If I understand millydog's IMO very sensible theory that is not what he/she is saying is that the 9.7" Pro will disappear with the Air 2 left as the only 9.7" offering and the new 10.5" iPad Pro as the smaller of the iPad Pro pairing. This makes sense to me in so many ways...

1 - It ties up with rumours of a 10.5" iPad coming out.

2 - It adds an extra point of differentiation between the Pro and the Air to help justify a price differential. It makes an Air and a Pro line sit much more comfortably together.

3 - Apple might try to keep the physical size of the 10.5" iPad the same as the current 9.7" pro, or as close as possible, by reducing bezel sizes which could give an opportunity with a March/April 10.5" and 12.9" iPad Pro release to get masses more real-world experience of tuning iOS false press handling algorithms for reduced bezel size (and hence more false presses) in advance of 2017 anniversary iPhone possibly (probably? almost certainly?) going edge-to-edge. Somehow I can't see Apple stealing the 2017 iPhone thunder and going edge-to-edge on a March/April iPad Pro but I can see them going to a half way house of reducing bezel size. It's done that before with the iPads.

4 - Reduced bezels could also allow some size and weight reductions in the 12.9" Pro which most people considering the 12.9" model would welcome and could boost sales there.

5 - The situation doesn't have to be static. As the Pro is evolved in subsequent years there is still opportunity for a low cost 9.7" Air 3/4/5/etc to tag on behind. Apple can drop in previous generation iPad Pro SoCs to keep the Air line refreshed but one step behind Pro in performance as well as having the 9.7/10.5" screen size differentiation. There are also other features such as 2nd gen fingerprint scanner, better cameras from newer iPhones, more memory and even at some point the existing iPad Pro 9.7" TruColor screen that could all use existing parts to trickle down into the Air line to keep it moving forward.

This really does seem to make a lot of sense to me.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Time will tell. Apple has it ways and if the can give me a larger screen on my same sized iPad, I would be in for sure.