Why is purchasing from the US iTunes store illegal if you don't live in the USA?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dextertangocci, Jan 13, 2008.

1. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I don't see why this is illegal. Sure, it violates their terms of use, but it's no different from me going to the States and buying and actual DVD or CD:confused:

Stupid record labels. I would pirate all my content, but I want to support the artists. I couldn't care less if these moronic record labels go bankrupt.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I didn't realise it was illegal. I always just assumed it was a licensing issue.

3. scary dentist macrumors newbie

me too :confused:

4. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

I've read on various forums that it's illegal and people have had their iTunes accounts closed because of this:confused:

5. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

A few more questions:

Can Apple's iTunes codes be generated or stolen? I know the ones in the retail stores have to be scanned before they become active. The reason I want to know this is because I don't want to cause Apple to lose money by me buying from certain businesses and people who sell iTunes gift certificates for cheaper than what Apple sells them for. (I won't say who those people are, I think it's against the forum rules?).

If they are not stolen or generated, how could they possibly sell them for less than what Apple does:confused: Does Apple give discounts for large purchases of gift certificates like they do with iTunes content?

Thanks

6. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I believe it has to do with import and export terrifs that Apple would be subject to for selling product out of the country/region is was intended for. Albums are still subject to terrifs based on region and if a record label sets a release for the US and not the rest of the country, exporting it physically or electronically for sale breaks certain laws. Obviously I dont know all the ins and outs of it but its basically something like that.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

basically, yes. i don't know all the details either, but its not apple's doing as much as its the licensing system that is in place. which, imo, needs to be reconsidered in consideration of electronic downloads.

8. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

And it also being a world market as opposed to a regional market. I remember for years some of the best stuff was on a japanese import only. Even from US centric bands. Now a days media is a world market and should be treated as such.

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That doesn't make it illegal, you won't go to jail for it. It's just Apple covering their behinds with the record labels.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It is not the same at all as buying a CD in the US and bringing it home. You are taking delivery in your country, of a different product than a physical CD.

When an artist releases an album, the distribution rights are sold for each country / region separately. So the company that owns the rights to sell that album in South Africa may be a different company than the one that sells in USA. They could in fact be a competitor of the USA company.

Apple has to negotiate the online distribution rights with each company in each country. Some companies don't play ball. Other times, the market is too small for Apple to invest the time and effort. Other times, the copyright laws of the country are sufficiently different (or non enforced) that Apple and the record companies decline to sell into that country.

It's Apple's choice whether they license the property or not for a particular company, and Apple is obligated to respect the license owner's rights in thoe countries.

The download is an intangible intellectual property, and therefore is exempt from most if not all national tariffs and customs charges.

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Most likely, yes. It's the same reason you can buy AppleCare for half price on eBay. Apple's prices for iTunes gift certificats, AppleCare, etc. are discounted for resellers. Those resellers then discount the total from standard retail prices.

Really, it's no different that with hardware/software. Different product, same methods.

12. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah ok:)