Why is Romney losing in the polls?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Richard8655, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Why is Romney losing in the polls? Wondering what everyone thinks.

Is it:
    - Inability to connect with common folk
    - Opinions shift with the winds
    - Panders to Tea Party
    - Seems to favor big business
    - Wanted to deep-six Detroit auto industry
    - Keeps personal funds in offshore tax-free accounts
    - Doesn't understand or represent minorities very well

More? Or am I off target?

2. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

nailed it.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You got it. The GOP does not understand that it cannot continue to keep doing things like this.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I didn't fully appreciate this until I started working in metro Detroit last month. It's pretty fervent, even the otherwise-diehard Republicans here mostly say that they are refusing to vote for Romney because of this alone. So much so that the only Republican ads that I see TV or otherwise up here are billboards that say simply "Obama supports gay marriage and abortion. Do you? Vote Republican." That's about the only argument that they have left up here.

6. dime21 macrumors 6502

Doing this like what? Both parties agree the past four years have been a complete failure. Nobody wants four more years of this Obama clown. He's taken the economy down the toilet with his failed policies, and his "solution" is more hope-n-change? :rolleyes:

Romney & Ryan have the experience and intelligence to fix this mess. Even here in this old video from 2010, you can see Ryan destroying left-wing shill Chris Matthews in this clip, where he lays out specific details on how to repair the federal budget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYsOet9ynS0&feature=related

7. leekohler, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Doing the things the OP mentioned. Nobody wants what they're selling- fear. He and Ryan are couple of giant douchebags- so much so that they can't even give the impression they might be halfway decent people. And more people are catching on.

And I don't watch cable news.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Lets see Romney experince shipping job over seas screwing over the general population. Romney ethics are clearly crap and not there. Ryan has not experience and clearly no intelligence there.

Neither have offered anything other than fear. Plans have been demand and nothing delivered.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

According to the polls, more people do than don't. This is a clear indictment on how messed up the Republican party has become. If they had offered a candidate that wasn't a trainwreck and a platform that wasn't from 1950 they may have won easily. Clearly, people aren't buying what they are selling.

However, we'll have to wait until November to see what people really want.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Well, first of all, both parties may agree that we haven't completely recovered from the Bush disaster, but that does NOT mean that both parties agree that the last four years haven't been progress in the right direction. Every measurement of the economy shows that we are far, far better off than we were when Obama took office. There is not only disagreement about whether we want four more years of Obama, it is by most measurements in fact the majority opinion in this country. Obviously, opinions might change, but that's how it stands now.

So, is Romney running on the Ryan plan, or does he have his own plan? I ask because they say they have the experience and intelligence to fix this mess, but they aren't really saying how they would do so other than to say they are going to give more tax cuts to the wealthy.

11. dime21 macrumors 6502

Lets go point by point.

1. Why does he not "connect" with common folk? Is it because he's rich? Obama was worth $50 Million before he ran for President, so that doesn't add up.

2. What major issues has he changed opinion on? Lets compare Obama's campaign promises with what he's delivered thus far, and see whose list is longer. I know Big-O has changed his mind on so many things I've lost count.

3. What does this mean?

4. If anyone favors big business & big Union thugs it's Obama. The right favors small & medium business far more than the left.

5. He didn't want to "deep six" the auto industry. He wanted them to follow a natural bankruptcy process. FYI that doesn't involve firing workers and closing factories. It simply means restructuring - something Detroit badly needs.

6. Is he breaking any laws? No? So what do you care?

7. Why or why not? Because he isn't one?

12. 184550 Guest

********. Source?

EDIT:

Here's a Forbes breakdown of his net worth from May 2012.

13. dime21 macrumors 6502

What are these "more tax cuts for the wealthy"? They are not proposing any new tax cuts for the wealthy. Am I mistaken about this? I'm curious if you can show me a source for this.

What is Obama's plan to remedy the mess? Clearly what he's been doing isn't working so well, with real unemployment estimated at more than 15% now. If "four more years of the same" is his answer, that isn't a solution. And his victim/blame/hate politics aren't helping anyone, except himself.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I agree. What he has been doing is trying to work with republicans whose only desire is to remove obama from the white house.

He SHOULD have been just forgetting about those anti-american republicans and done stuff without their permission.

As far as why romney is barely losing in the polls ?

I'm still trying to figure out how he can even be close.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, yeah, that's his plan. 5 Trillion dollars in new tax cuts.

Obama is not a mystery. He has a jobs bill, insourcing bill, proposed infrastructure investment in America, he's tried to end subsidies to corporations that offshore jobs, encourage green energy... you could always just go to Obama's website.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think the answer is cooperation between the parties in congress. It appears as if they would rather screw Americans than agree on something. And though the Republicans seem to be doing it more, especially with Obama in office, both parties have to take the blame.

17. California macrumors 68040

California

Steve Jobs said that if Obama didn't get more business-friendly, he did not deserve a second term.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ha! There's surely a second Earth where Romney is winning.

My favorite section from the Politico piece:

Which one are you again? Tom, Bert or Bill Huggins? I can never remember.

19. 184550 Guest

I really hope you didn't think I was being serious.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Oh no, I wasn't correcting you. I just thought that particular paragraph was great.

21. 184550 Guest

Good, I just wanted to be sure. :p

Yeah, I found the 'recruiting tactics' process interesting... and scary.

I'm getting my masters in information studies and it really is scary how some people process/ use/ influence information like this.

22. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Oh my gosh. The revered almighty who has ascended into heaven has revealed in his Apple scripture what the outcome should be. On your knees in thankfulness!

23. California macrumors 68040

California

LOL. Jobs actually did warn Obama before he died.

24. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

LOL... just kidding with you a little. But actually an interesting fact I wasn't aware of. I believe Jobs mostly favored Obama.