Why is the 13" MBP Apple'a best selling notebook? Price or Size??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Nov 25, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

It's likely a combo of the two.

The lower price on the 13" over the 15" MBP is what makes it attractive.

If both the 13 and 15" MBP's had the same spec's and price the 15" would probably be the winner, no?

That's assuming the extra screen real estate would be worth the extra 1lb in weight for most people.

2. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Yes, it is.

Apple.com

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Cheap sells.

The pros have little to make them pro anymore. Do they have expresscard slots before 17"?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

"The 13-inch MacBook Pro

Our most popular Mac."

Right there on www.apple.com

LA Rossman- No, only the 17" model has ExpressCard34 now. The 15" got the SD slot in the mid-cycle revision as well.

5. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

what makes you say it's not?

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

One n makes me jewish. :(

So the old 15.4" are more pro than the current 15.4".

You can record using a MADI interface on them, but can't on a $2k machine.

The lack of expresscard AND pcmcia on a $2k laptop is robbery.

7. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

For my needs i went with the top model 13" MBP for only some reason: Portability, battery life and power under the hood.

as i see it. as long as you need portability and don't need to use a laptop for 3D rendering, hard core gaming or heavy video editing then the 13" is a superb laptop.

for real heavy use it would be better to use a decent desktop and a big screen.

for on the road usage the 13" is light small and it looks darn good.

just my point of view

8. borcanm macrumors regular

9. pesc macrumors regular

For most people it is. For me, I wouldn't want the 15" even if it cost the same as the 13". For me, the point of a laptop is its portability. I have large external screens on all my desks.

I will get the 13" the second it is released with a matte screen. The 15" is too clumsy. Cost doesn't matter for me.

10. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Ignore Shambo, lol. He thinks he's all high and mighty because he's got a 15in MBP.

It's definitely the price, though. Portability comes second in terms of the main deciding factor amongst cutomers generally; I've a sneaking suspicion a few 13in owners justify their purchase with portability as the main deciding factor, while price is really the main driver behind the purchase.

Personally, the screen is just a little too small for me.

11. Cinnabar macrumors member

I'm going to write this from the perspective of new mac users (of which, looking at Apple's sales figures, there must be a fair few out there by now). For these people we should never discount the kudos which goes with all things mac...

Apple sells an awful lot of units based on aesthetics alone and the status/lifechoice which is associated with owning a mac (you too can be a 'creative' and bask in the glory of your own magnificence in a coffee shop near you). This is not a bad thing. This is pretty much why I bought a mac. I liked the idea of a mac before I understood the reality of owning one. Now that I do actually own one, I'm finding out that the reality is pretty good too.

Over the last 12 months, I think a lot of people have been going into the Apple store (for lots of different reasons, but I bet a lot have been prompted by owning an iPhone) and saying, 'I've always wanted a mac, but never bought one... Hey, the MacBook looks nice, but a bit tired (remember this is pre re-boot), and hey.... this Macbook Pro 13" is not that more expensive, looks better and is pretty bloody fantastic... but wait, what about this 15" thing over here.... Oh, hang on, jesus that's expensive...'

And so it goes....

With the MacBook rebooted, I think you'll see it hitting the top of the popularity charts in about three months time just because it's cheaper. Let's face it, so many people cant afford this stuff but want this stuff. If you price it within their range, they'll bite your aluminium unibody hands off....

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

Mine was definitely portability. I got the 2.53ghz 13"... so price really wasn't a factor in my purchase. Definite for Portability. 13" is the perfect size for me :).

Edit: I do wish we had the discrete GPU though. Oh well, can't have everything. I'd probably never use :).

13. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Both for me. I like the idea of a 13" or 12" laptop. They are hard to find and now that I have one I absolutely love the portability it gives me. Super easy to handle. Perfect companion.

14. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Back when it was a choice between 13" aluminum unibody macbook and 15" unibody macbook pro, I chose the pro mainly for the 'pro'.

Today, we have the choice of 13" or 15" 'pro' models. I love my screen realestate and I don't mind the extra size/weight.

For me, no 13" pro because the screen is too small and it doesn't seem to be any more productive than a white macbook would.

I just wanted to say, although a little off topic, I'm glad I bought the 15" macbook pro when it came with the express card slot. Although I do mainly use it with a card reader, I have many more options later on such as eSATA or an SSD. I hate that Apple has eliminated it until you spec up to the 17" macbook pro.

15. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

I totally agree with you opinion!

16. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

By this logic, the MacBook would be Apple's best-selling notebook, since it costs less than the base MBP.

That indicates that it's some combination of cost and something else that drive people to the Pro. I would say perceived quality - the MBP looks and feels better than the MacBook.

But dismissing it as 100% based on cost is entirely fallacious logic.

17. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Easy I think.

The 2.26Ghz MPB is only 200 bucks more than the base, and infinitely more attractive with the aluminum body and backlit keys. It does have more features and a better screen but I don't think regular people know the screen is better (Apple doesn't want you to know) and the other ports are I think not noticed by regular people. It comes down to looks and price compared with the MB at the end of the day for the average Joe.

18. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Another bragging right thread for those that spent 300 more on a laptop and think they are Pro's

Same ****, different day.

19. acurafan macrumors 6502a

lol.

same circus, different clowns.

20. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Sorry I was wrong. You are indeed correct. As someone else said "cheap sells" I suppose. :eek:

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol yes it is. 50% of Mac owners own a MBP and most of those 50% own 13" MBPs. Apple even said so themselves :D:D:D

22. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

That's what forums.macrumors.com is for, isn't it??? :rolleyes:

23. yegon macrumors 68020

Never a truer word spoken :)

I started frequenting here, ooh, about 2007 shortly after buying my first Mac, a white Macbook. It's only after about 12 months you realise that *everything* really is a cyle of whingers, evangelists, wish lists, qc complaints, predictions etc. The funniest thing I find is when people act all clever when they've correctly predicted the latest development - yeah you and about 1m other people lol!

But hey, 3 Macs later and I'm still posting and reading!