Why is the 2015 MBP still as expensive as the 2016 version?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hyloba, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Hyloba macrumors 6502

I've been waiting over a year for the MBP refresh. I didn't want to buy old hardware for high a high price. I always thought prices would drop, or at least when the 2016 version came out, that prices would significantly drop.
    Strangely that is not the case. A 2015 version 13" MBP with 256gb of storage and everything else base version is as expensive as the 2016 non-touch bar base version (in my country). Also you can't buy any refurbs here. And second hand market sucks because I want a US qwerty version and everyone here uses a country specific keyboard.

If prices are lowered I would actually buy a 2015 version but I can't pay the same kind of money for almost 2 year old hardware. I like the new version though but I dislike only having 2 ports.

TL;DR '15 MBP prices have remained unchanged since introduction, is it the same for other counties? Also same prices between '15 and '16 versions?

2. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Pretty simple answer: with the whole dongle debacle on the new MacBooks, there's still a high demand for last year's Macbook Pro. And why would't there be. It's still a great machine! And it's dongle-free. Heck, I could have purchased a new 2016 Macbook Pro, but I went with a 2015 model instead and haven't regretted my decision one bit. Apple's not dumb; they charge what the market can bear. And right now, half the Apple fan-base loves the new Macbook Pro, and the other half love last year's Macbook Pro. It's purely a business decision.

3. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

Yeah, as much as I hate Apples pricing scheme right now, it's probably (read: is) making them metric butt-tons. People who want cutting edge as well as ignorant people with some money will buy the 2016s and people who need OS X but find the new MacBook Pros to be somewhat of a step down will buy the 2015s. Everyone is hoping for a price reduction for gen 2 of these things, but I just can't see it happing.

But yeah, the rMB needs to start the line at $1000, the 13" non Touch, Touch, and 15" need to be at $1300, $1500, and $2000 respectively, and the 2015 equivalent should be discounted $200 and the Airs and 128GB 2015 should be gone. I think the amount of complaints would be far lower.