Why is the American Dream dead in the South?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There is a challenging little article in the Atlantic on socioeconomic mobility. The article is small, but, if the data is valid, it is a direct challenge to the conservative ideology we see posted here, and, wherever the conservative news machine is operating. The point being: mobility is much, much lower in the South than in all those more Liberal states that are constantly criticized by conservatives. Following the conservative-libertarian ideology, many Southern states make unionization hard, unions easy to ignore, reduced state-level taxes, lower regulation enforcement as much as possible, and, therefore, social mobility should be improved. Right --- ?

[​IMG]

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/why-is-the-american-dream-dead-in-the-south/283313/

The above is absolute mobility, the below graphic is relative mobility:

[​IMG]

If I were living in a low-socioeconomic-mobility locale, I would consider moving.

The two articles are here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/why-is-the-american-dream-dead-in-the-south/283313/

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/the-geography-of-the-american-dream/283308/

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

High school graduation rates mirror about the same states. If you don't have a high school diploma good luck with social mobility.

The south also doesn't have a wall street or silicon valley to attract people.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Here is an old map of HS graduation. Found on the "We Party" website. You are correct in that it does have a certain amount of "visual correlation":

[​IMG]

I don't know anything about the "We Party" other than it appears to be a pro-labor website. Website here:

http://wepartypatriots.com/wp/

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Free- free to be taken advantage of, to funnel money to the fat cats, to be ignored, and to be poor. We don't want no stink'n government in there looking out for us, better to be "free".

5. chown33 macrumors 604

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_and_Bobby_McGee

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why is the American Dream dead in the South?

Let's just cut to the cusp of the problem.

The South is dead from the neck up.

And I'm sure that suits some very well.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Honestly, I think that is a bit unfair. I will go out on a limb and say that there are thousands of people in the South who are intelligent, witty, kind, pleasant, even progressive. Hell we have at least one poster living in the south (localoid) who is rather obviously not "dead from the neck up", it is for people like him that we are concerned about southern-rot and the damage it might do to the decent folk who have to slog through it.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Texas appears to disagree. If you mean "Deep South" then I'm not sure this statement is all that controversial.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Lower enough expectations about what employment means and some will be happy, yes.

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Based on your graph of relative mobility, it seems like you should consider changing the thread title to "Why is the American Dream dead in the East?"

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Ohio, Indiana and Illinois seem to be worse off than the East.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I live in Texas. Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois ARE east, as far as I'm concerned.

In any event, there's a lot more orange and red east of the Mississippi than west of it.

14. iJohnHenry, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How is it you equate "the South" with individuals?

Individuals with merit have always risen to the top of the food chain.

The problem with the South is that the opportunities to do so are less than stellar.

I did, but Texas also has a share of 'entrenchment' going on.

15. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

I think it's because much of the South is still living in the 18th and 19th century.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think it's a combination of religious fundamentalism, chronically underfunded schools and healthcare, and yes, a belief that the poor should know their place based on pre civil war attitudes in the south.

17. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Austin, TX is pretty much a mini silicon valley...which is what attracted me to the city. Then again a lot of people don't consider Texas "the south".

18. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

As a resident of Texas I'm surprised to see you refer to it as a Southern state. From all accounts Texans do not affiliate themselves with the South.

Austin and DFW are tech hubs and Houston is obviously the oil & gas capital of the world. As an aside, large cities in Texas are very much progressive. Houston's mayor recently married her long time same sex partner and no one batted an eye. If you get out of the cities, then sure it's backwards.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

"People" in the north do. Texas and people in the south don't.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I personally don't consider Texas to be included when I talk about the "south". It also doesn't seem to be impacted as badly as other deep south states.

21. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

That's certainly putting it more eloquently. Just keep in mind that the people in those regions probably don't understand half the words you used, let alone words with more than two syllables. Hence, why I used as little words as possible. ;)

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Humorous, but I mildly disagree with that approach.

I find it akin to talking baby-talk to wee ones. Talk to them as you would an adult, and you will enhance their development.

For the adults you encompass, if they are reading on a computer they will eventually be curious enough to learn what the word means.

Win win.

23. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

After living in Tx and currently living in Louisiana and spending a lot of time in Tx, Texans don't affiliate themselves with the United States .. to them it is solely the Republic of Texas.

24. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

As a native New Yorker, I always considered Texas the South. Now living in Houston, native Texans always correct me when I call it the south. I'm not sure why it's a big deal but apparently it is.

I think one of the reasons that the large cities (Houston and Austin more so than Dallas) are as "progressive" as they are is because there are large populations of non natives here. In Houston, the medical center (in addition to the oil industry) has brought many transplants. Obama even won Houston (by a few votes IIRC).

The Houston GOP is a little bitter about the lesbian mayor, but overall it hasn't been that much of a big deal.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Watch a few episodes of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and you will see why no one would willingly associate themselves with that area of the country.