Why is the "c word" blanked on British TV?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by -Ryan-, Aug 15, 2009.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Well, this is something I've been wondering about for a while now. There isn't really any censorship on British television in the evening, but a certain word beginning in 'c' and ending in 't' is almost invariably bleeped out. Is there a reason for this when nothing else is censored? :confused:

Examples: Mock The Week, Live at the Apollo, You Have Been Watching.

I don't really watch anything on TV that isn't comedy, so I'm not sure if it's blanked out elsewhere, but I'm a big boy and I'm not too bothered about whatever language comes out of my sound system..

And to the mods, I'm not attempting to circumvent your profanity filter, I'm just genuinely interested.

2. macmike47 macrumors regular

I always learnt that was the worst swear word one could use :confused:

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

So did i, i remember i said it once when i was young not knowing what it meant boy did i get it.

4. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

Right, sorry about my ignorance, but I didn't know this :eek:.. I thought it must have had some alternate meaning I wasn't aware of that would cause offence. So, assuming it's just "another" swear word, albeit perhaps a "bad" one, do you think it's okay to blank it in programmes aimed at an adult audience simply because it is "bad"?

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If it's on tv then i believe so, because who knows who are watching the shows regardless of the time there on so they should be censored

But DVDS, well you should have the right to hear / see everything. Because you have some form of control as to who watches it.

Just my opinion

6. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I don't think there is a consistent approach to censorship at all. Sometimes it is beeped, sometimes it's not. Sometimes a lesser offending word is beeped hours after a more "serious" word got through. I really don't like this nannying at all. After a given hour I think TV should be free of these concerns. Even here words are asterisked out. The supposed protection of children results in impinging on adults and their expression. Dysfunctional or what? I also hate the way that "The "C" Word" or the "N" word have become commonplace. Why not say "The word "******" is offensive to many people" rather than say "The "N" word is offensive to many people" ? The idea that no matter what age you are, you have to baby your speech for others is Orwellian.

I see after posting that the word ******* didn't get through the Thought Police here. I did wonder.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Maybe the Brits just don't like cats, I dunno?

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I think if Mock the Week used M****r F*****r it would be bleeped.

What I like about c*** is the fact you cannot type the seaside town of Scunthorpe in without it been censored.

/edit Scunthorpe now allowed !

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

[​IMG]

I don't think they should be spouting the seven dirty words during morning cartoons or anything, but if it's not a kids show and it's being broadcasted later at night then I don't see what the big deal is, parents need to make sure their kids aren't watching that sort of thing.

10. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

I think it only applies to comedy type show that are on just past the watershed

It's broadcast uncensored in homegrown and imported dramas like "The Wire"
    didn't Germane Greer do a documentary about it on BBC2 a few years back i think that was on at about 10pm

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Disgraceful. We ought to petition the Mods on this.

;)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, Firefox 3.5 does offer location services. The dream of geolocated autobans is only a fluttering heartbeat away. :)

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It has absolutely nothing to do with "babying" your speech or Thought Police, and it's certainly not Orwellian. That's just ridiculous ad hoc justification for turning off the filter between your brain and your mouth and shirking the responsibilities of free speech. You're free to let what ever sewage you want spew forth from your face hole… but that doesn't make it adult. Adults possess decorum and self-respect, and don't need to resort to juvenile invectives, which is precisely why there are profanity filters here. Yes it's to protect people under a certain age, but it's also in large part so that people don't have to listen to thirteen year old's word vomit distort an otherwise appealing website.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I literally LOL'ed. :)

I hate the word, I've used it maybe twice in my life and even then there was no justification for it. When I was in England I was shocked when I heard the word being used as I use bitch. I certainly had to get used to it, but it was unsettling. There is something about that word personally that really upsets me. I find the word to be really repulsive.

15. djellison macrumors 68020

I reserve the C word as my ultimate nuclear strike offensive word only to be used in extremis

16. Queso macrumors G4

I'd much rather they censored out EastEnders and just show a test card for 30 minutes instead. It would be far more entertaining, and as a bonus we'd save a little on the license fee :)

P.S. Notes for the under 25s:- This is a test card :D

[​IMG]

17. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I agree. I don't think I have ever used it, but I rarely swear in everyday life unless I'm very, very angry about something (or get a touch of road rage..:eek:). However, I don't think it needs to be censored explicitly in the entertainment industry; after all, it's just a word. Some words provoke much more offence than a simple four letter word, and yet they aren't even censored in daytime television.

18. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Sorry, I didn't realise that would be an issue. Especially in a thread talking about the word.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We just ask for a little subtlety. If you say "M***** F*****" as you did, I think it's fair to assume that all the proficient English speakers here will understand what you mean without the need for being any more explicit. ;)

(Also just a reminder that we allow children to access this site.)

20. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Why would they blank out

"court"? I love CourtTV. That just doesn't make sense :D

21. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for not closing the thread. :) I realised when I started it that it might be a bit risqué to have a thread on this forum which I know has quite a few members who are reasonably young children. But I also think that censorship is an interesting issue which children should know about, so I suppose it swings both ways.

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed, it's a very interesting question, and society has gone back and forth over the idea of the taboo and censorship of it for millenia -- seven thousand years ago, there were those preliterate societies who allowed children to be near dead bodies and involved in funerals and there were those societies that tried to shield children from the dead as much as possible, for instance.

The US policy is arbitrary in the "seven words" sense but relatively consistently applied.

I personally think that we give these words a lot of extra power by over-reacting to them. I remember when I was maybe nine, I didn't know anything about swearing. We were living in this apartment complex waiting for our house to be built, and there was this kid across the way who swore like a sailor. It had a really melodic quality to it, so I came in the house and repeated something that I think had all the bad words in it at once. My mother looked at me for a second, and then just said, "You have no idea what any of those words are, do you?" And I said, "Nope." :D

Now of course I can swear and I do when it pleases me to do so, but I honestly don't do it that much....

23. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The 'C word' has been broadcast on British TV for decades, but is normally not used because it is regarded as the most offensive swear word. It's bleeped out on the BBC shows you indicated because they're aimed at a wide audience.

24. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

it's funny where you learn the bad words.. I mean, my parents would use the typical, not-really-that-serious swear words, but the bad stuff not once, yet I somehow learned them anyway.

I always figured this one was at the top of the mountain of swearing, if only for it being used so seldom compared to the F word.

25. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

There's a significant section of the feminist movement that have been trying to reclaim the word as a descriptor for their genitalia, they argue that it shouldn't be a profane word, although I notice that Top Gear have popularised the word cock as an insult, so I guess I should get on my soapbox...!

The Vagina Monologues are littered with the word, it turns up in serious drama regularly, I just think the context is still sensitive for TV, Mock the Week being a comedy show. Oddly the re-runs on Dave are often un-censored.